Home

Is Rory McIlroy PGA Tour a Sim, Or Something Else? (Video)

This is a discussion on Is Rory McIlroy PGA Tour a Sim, Or Something Else? (Video) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #17
Zero Finger Movement

CRIP4LIFE's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Is Rory McIlroy PGA Tour a Sim, Or Something Else? (Video)

there hasn't been a "pure" golf sim on pc or console, imho, since Links for PC (when access owned it, before microsoft published it on the original xbox).

on any tiger pga game, scores of -20+ (even on the hardest difficulty) were commonplace. same goes for the golf club (looking at the leaderboards of the replica augusta course and the low rounds are in the 50's).

let's face it. NO GOLF GAME WE GET IS PURE SIM.

the best we can hope for is pseudo-sim. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that on the hardest difficulty possible rory pga will at least be challenging once you get on the green (like the golf club is).
NCAA - CLEMSON
Old 07-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIP4LIFE
on any tiger pga game, scores of -20+ (even on the hardest difficulty) were commonplace
Disagree. TW14 in Simulation mode was a beast and scores were nowhere near that low.

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Old 07-07-2015, 06:01 PM   #19
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Its 110% possible to combine both styles in one title. They just need to give you the options to play both styles completely separate from one another.

If they dont allow that, it will be a complete failure IMO.

I stated in another thread, completley get the decision to combine them since it's a small market, and has high overhead with all the licensing. Just give the arcade/goofy crowd their area to play, give the PGA tour golfers their area to play, and everyone will be happy. Similar to how I can play Madden the way I want, without being subjected to the Ultimate team junk.

As Offspring said back in the 90's.... You gotta keep em separated!
Old 07-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #20
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Disagree. TW14 in Simulation mode was a beast and scores were nowhere near that low.
I saw scores in the 50's in TW14 and there were routinely scores in the 60-64 range. So while -20 is an exaggeration I wouldn't say his point is invalid. To me a 12 under par round should be a "special" round not commonplace.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #21
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
I don't think "sim" boils down to just low or high scores, though. I think there is more to it than that. One thing is the way you swing the club - that basically hasn't changed since 3-click went out of style, and it's not clear to me that rocking a thumbstick down-then-up is any more realistic than timing a meter. Surely there is a way to make this more skill-based or at least more interesting? What about weather conditions changing dynamically, during the course of a round? Maybe that was in later versions last-gen, but I haven't seen for example, drizzle, then overcast, then sunny during the course of a single round. What about standing water or damp bunkers after rain? Have there been changing green speeds during the course of a day? As we all know, if you start at 8 AM when things are damp, the greens roll differently than when you're finishing up near noon and the sun has dried things out considerably. These are just things off the top of my head that it seems like should be in a sim game at this point in the lifecycle of a product.

I guess the point is that it's a limited resource environment - if you spend a month working on one feature, that's a month you don't have anymore to work on another feature. Would you rather the month get spent on adding new arcade features or new sim features? I guess it'd be one thing if the sim features were basically maxed out at this point, but I don't think that's the case. And that's why I don't think you can do everything equally well.

I will leave the argument about things being in the game that shouldn't, but being able to turn them "off" on the table, since that's an agree-to-disagree type of issue. Anyway, the game will be out soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
I saw scores in the 50's in TW14 and there were routinely scores in the 60-64 range. So while -20 is an exaggeration I wouldn't say his point is invalid. To me a 12 under par round should be a "special" round not commonplace.
I didn't. I played straight simulation mode and low 60's were rare as I played Live Tournaments every day fo several months.

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Old 07-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #23
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

I've seen 58's and 57's on TGC many times. No matter how sim it is, there will be players shooting 10-20 under par I just think we have to accept that. I don't don't shoot that low myself, but there will always be those players who shoot that low whether legit or not.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #24
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
I didn't. I played straight simulation mode and low 60's were rare as I played Live Tournaments every day fo several months.
Not how I remember it so we'll agree to disagree. Regardless it has nothing to do with how RM will play. I have the game pre-ordered but I would really like to see something on the harder difficulty modes instead of reading into their taglines.

Guess we will know in a week.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »