Home

College Basketball in NBA 2K16? Here's What We Know...

This is a discussion on College Basketball in NBA 2K16? Here's What We Know... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #17
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: Could NBA 2K16 Feature Real Colleges? We Dissect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Hey King_B_Mack and Phreezy P, I've updated the story w/ credit. We ALWAYS give credit where credit is due.

Phreezy, if you can send me the video, I'll be sure to add it to the post. King_B_Mack, send me the original post where you found it. I can't seem to find the original.

23, you of all people should know we always give credit.
Haha of course..... I was ribbing Chris

Hence the CSI nickname Mike gave OS last year
Old 07-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #18
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

LMAOOOOOOO
Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #19
yellow

23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesvolsfan
My guess as well. 2K will probably start you as a senior playing in a high school state championship game, then decide where you go to college, then have you play in the elite eight all the way to the National Championship. After that, you declare for the NBA Draft. The story begins...
Would be DOPE man.... Id love a full tourney though myself. Not even sure thats possible but i can dream lol
Old 07-16-2015, 07:28 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
So I think we will play some college games (tournament probably) but my bigger question:
Are the options for colleges to attend limited by those schools with the license?

I don't think they would have college jerseys on the cover if college gameplay was not present. At the very least I expect a handful of games, but I'm hoping for a season
Old 07-16-2015, 07:31 PM   #21
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Eh, it's very possible that that's exactly why they did it. It does seem unlikely to pay the prices for just that. Majority of those schools charge a 15% royalty rate for the use of their trademarks.
Here's a good article from 2013 which shows how much revenue certain schools made from appearing in NCAA football/basketball games back in 2012/13 and 2010 for basketball.

Spoiler

Also, here's an interesting quote on how EA came up with these figures:

Quote:
Although none of the administrators were able to tell me the exact formula used by EA Sports to distribute revenue from the video games, they did tell me a school's ranking in the polls and appearances in either bowl games or March Madness play a role.
If I'm reading that correctly, it looks like 2k might be able to pay just a small fee for these schools and not a 15% royalty rate, depending on how much they're used in the games. However, I'm not a math nor a business person so I could be reading into this wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #22
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Hey King_B_Mack and Phreezy P, I've updated the story w/ credit. We ALWAYS give credit where credit is due.

Phreezy, if you can send me the video, I'll be sure to add it to the post. King_B_Mack, send me the original post where you found it. I can't seem to find the original.

23, you of all people should know we always give credit.
Thanks Steve. Just trying to live up to the CSI OS moniker lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Would be DOPE man.... Id love a full tourney though myself. Not even sure thats possible but i can dream lol
No doubt man. I don't think it's possible because I'm pretty sure the NCAA and some conferences as a whole decided to not make their licenses available for video games after the lawsuit, but as we can see schools on an individual basis can make deals. Without the full NCAA licensing, I don't know if a full tournament would have the same oomph to it. With how long it's been since we've had a college game though, I wouldn't even care lol
Old 07-16-2015, 08:05 PM   #23
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

The reason I think the college level involvement is limited is because if you were to play one or more years on the college level it would require made-up draft classes to become mandatory in MyCareer, or the Association modes.

Made up draft classes are barely tolerated as is; who'd enjoy playing without experiencing this year's draft-class as rookies at the appropriate time.

Sure, you can have a replay of last-year's college experience but not all the schools that relevant draftees come from are licensed.

Before anyone gets upset at what I wrote... this is all just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be wrong again. So no worries.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #24
yellow

23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Thanks Steve. Just trying to live up to the CSI OS moniker lol

No doubt man. I don't think it's possible because I'm pretty sure the NCAA and some conferences as a whole decided to not make their licenses available for video games after the lawsuit, but as we can see schools on an individual basis can make deals. Without the full NCAA licensing, I don't know if a full tournament would have the same oomph to it. With how long it's been since we've had a college game though, I wouldn't even care lol

Its a start King... thats all im asking

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »