Home

NHL 16 Control the Crease Video and Details

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Control the Crease Video and Details within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
Pro

jaiman's Arena

OVR: 5
NHL 16 Control the Crease Video and Details

EA Sports has just released a new NHL 16 video on how to control the crease, with all-new enhanced goalie controls.

Quote:
NHL 16 gives you the ability to control the crease and carry your team to victory with all-new enhanced player goalie controls. When facing down a shooter - precise, controlled movements give you the ability to stop the puck and limit rebounds, all while maintaining control over your position in the paint. Movement and puck handling outside the paint are also key parts of a goaltender’s skillset, and new improvements to skating and puck control will allow you to spring passes to teammates on the breakout - or try for an elusive empty-net goal. When the shots start flying, decide whether to make controlled positional saves, or commit to high risk athletic saves that may leave you vulnerable to secondary chances.

They also posted a quick video on the motion capture process for goalies in NHL 16 with Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Eddie Lack.

Source - EA Sports

For those of you that have missed out on the recent news about the game, we've highlighted some of them below.For more news and media on the game, check out the NHL 16 page.
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Control the Crease Video is up!

Very, Very impressed. Love the goalie movements and new animations!
Old 07-24-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

It looks... Ok. I didn't see too many new animations; I did see new movements, but both those things will have to come together to really improve goalies. I wonder how AI goalies were affected; they probably got all the animation changes and stance upgrades (as we've seen) but there are so many things still to fix (check my YouTube for more on that).

This felt like a trailer with a voice explaining with some computer shots in for effect. Look up 14's goalie dev diary and it's a lot more informative.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1

I admit, I only play offline...

Do the AI goalies have these new movements/animations etc?

Don't see why they wouldn't, but want to double check.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 16 Control the Crease Video and Details

POSITIVES: The momentum is very welcomed and nice. I like the goalie controls outside the crease especially with a chance now to shoot for a goal. Doesn't look like we'll see as many desperation saves as in NHL '15.

NEGATIVES: It was hard to tell, but it appeared as though the mo-cap session went over the same move list as last gen. I sure hope they completely redid desperation saves and we'll see brand new ones when you're completely out of position. Also, didn't like some of the positioning and limited movement hugging the post.

Overall, I was pleased.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #6
Rookie

Since were on the topic of goalies, I wish Sean and EA would bring in more elite goaltenders for mocap, like a Carey Price or a Tuukka Rask. I know it costs a lot to fly out a goalie of this caliber (couple thousands I image) but I'm sure it would be worth it. Maybe you can pull a top tier goalie around a preseason game with the Canucks? It certainly would save you some mula.

We all know that Sean brought Eddie Lack to the studio because he was the backup goaltender in Vancouver. It seems a little lazy just to pull a guy from your own backyard. Could we aim a little higher next time?

Let's just hope they don't stop mocaping goalies now that they had this session with Eddie. Maybe we can get a starter next time? I hear Ryan Miller is it doing anything special right now.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #7
Rookie

I really like the new changes, hopefully the same 'sure shot' goals are also removed or a lot harder to score.

However, I didn't see any new animations and I'm hoping that they don't leave goalies alone for another 5 years like they did between NHL 09-now.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #8
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

OVR: 6

great to see that they put some work into goalies

from the hands on impressions from the gamechangers it sounds like they will be fun to play in EASHL this year with the improved control scheme and new animations

I'm just hoping A.I. goalies were improved after NHL15 where I thought they were significantly worse at keeping pucks out of the net and did all kinds of wonky unexplainable things

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »