Home

Axis Football 2015 Review (PC)

This is a discussion on Axis Football 2015 Review (PC) within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2015, 12:34 AM   #9
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Axis Football 2015 Review (PC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herropreese
The only problem I have with the review is it keeps comparing the game to Madden. This game was never advertised as a simulation style football game. It certainly could become one with enough time and effort, but to compare it to Madden at the moment isn't fair imo.
So true.... I wonder how the critics would compare this football game to Madden...

Spoiler
Old 07-23-2015, 01:09 AM   #10
Pro

herropreese's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Franchise mode won't be making it into Axis Football 2015, according to several posts the developer has made on the product's STEAM forums:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/370090...1582675999523/

These are their current targeted features for the August update:
  • New player models
  • Uniform modding
  • Season stats
  • Coach mode
  • Upgraded camera movement
Ah, missed that. Still. I think those things added would make the game worth $20. I have little issue with throwing some bucks at him as a sort of kickstarterish way of support if it means 2016 is more robust game.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 0
He had a kickstarter and nobody spent any money, although it was the worst Kickstarter attempt of its kind by far.

Anyway, making any comparison to Madden is beyond ridiculous. I'm sorry, but the author of this should know better than that. You're talking about a game made by basically one guy on a nothing budget, versus a game made on a multi-million dollar budget with a staff the size of a military offensive unit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 34

The game isnt good. Needs a ton of work..but I thought it was unfair to stack this effort up against a giant corporation.

You have to be honest, and not give it a pass just because it is made by a handful of guys on a shoestring, but I dont think there is a need to draw Madden comparisons.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #13
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I see no problem in attempting to compare this game to Madden. They are both at their hearts simulation-style football games.

Yes, one was made by one guy. Yes, one doesn't have a multi-million-dollar budget and the licensing arm of the biggest sports entity in the United States behind it. But they are both still 11-on-11 simulation-style football video games vying for the video game consumer's money. To that end, any comparisons in quality are valid. If the game were designed as a seven-on-seven arcade affair or as a nostalgia-invoking throwback-style game, then perhaps the comparisons with Madden wouldn't be as valid.

I am pulling for the guy, though. I hope his efforts in supporting the game in post-release he's promised clean up some of the issues people have with the game right now.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 07-23-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 0

Let's compare a Bentley to a Ford Taurus. They both have 4 wheels and an engine inside.

Let's compare a Pop Warner football player to an NFL Football player. They both wear a helmet and pads.

When the scales are different, comparisons are incongruent. One reading this review has to wonder if the author came into it with the state of mind to take the game for what it is, or take the game on the value of comparing it to Madden.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

We grade every game we review on the same scale, because the history of gaming has repeatedly proved that good games can come from small companies (Super Mega Baseball, The Golf Club, OlliOlli, Wrestling Revolution 3D), just as easily as bad games can come from large companies (NBA Live 14, NHL 15, Tony Hawk's Proving Ground, WWE 2K15).

Most consumers do not care how many employees or how much money it took to make a game. Consumers generally only care about which games are worth their money, and which ones are not. And since the primary purpose of any product review is to aid and educate consumers, we take that same stance.

On a scale where Rory McIlroy PGA Tour is a 5, and NBA Live 14 is a 3.5, Axis Football 2015 could fit nowhere else but the 2.5 it was justly given. The game in its current state is simply nowhere close to the standards that gamers expect of any 11 vs. 11 football title (big or small) released in 2015.

Madden 08 is mentioned because it is a superior product in the same genre on the same platform as Axis Football 2015. We will always present alternatives to our readers in any review where the game we are writing about is not worth recommending.

Last edited by jyoung; 07-24-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #16
Pro

videlsports's Arena

OVR: 25
I have a feeling that it would be some growing pains, It's hard to come out as an independent and have everything we want in a football game. But for that budget, that pretty cool IMO. I hope we can give this game enough support so that hopefully it will be profitable so he will make more additions every year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »