Home

Strengths and Weaknesses of EASHL Player Classes Revealed for Beta

This is a discussion on Strengths and Weaknesses of EASHL Player Classes Revealed for Beta within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Strengths and Weaknesses of EASHL Player Classes Revealed for Beta

The NHL 16 EASHL beta starts on July 30 and runs through August 6 for those that own NHL 15 on Xbox One and PS4. Today EA also revealed what the strengths and weaknesses will be of all the playable classes.

Again, the big change this year will be that all the classes will have baked-in attributes that are locked and can't be leveled up. So this beta will serve as another way to test the classes and provide feedback (when it opens) to the NHL development team before NHL 16 launches in September.

Below you can find the strengths and weaknesses of the assorted classes:

SNIPER

Strengths:
  • The perfect class for when you need some scoring touch inserted into your lineup. Snipers have strong shooting abilities.
Weaknesses:
  • Lack physical strength and will depend on teammates to create space and scoring chances.
  • Below average defensive skill.
POWER FORWARD

Strengths
  • Excellent balance and strong on the puck. An effective player class for those who use the cycle game.
  • A physical player that uses strength to open space for other teammates.
  • Heavy slap shot.
Weaknesses:
  • Average shot accuracy.
PLAYMAKER

Strengths:
  • Top-end passing skill. The best choice for the EASHL player who likes to set up their teammates and create scoring chances.
  • Good puck control helps this class keep possession of the puck while teammates look to get open for a scoring chance.
Weaknesses:
  • Lacks physical strength and can get knocked off the puck by stronger opponents.
  • Average shot accuracy. This class should always look to make the pass before shooting.
  • Average defensive skills.
GRINDER

Strengths:
  • High rated physical skills. This class works well for players who like to engage in the physical side of the game – including puck battles, shot blocking or deliver crushing hits.
  • With a strong hand-eye rating, this class will have a higher chance at deflections in front of opposing goalies.
Weaknesses:
  • Below average shooting and puck skills. Needs to keep things simple on the offensive side of the puck.
ENFORCER

Strengths:
  • An imposing force with top rated physical skills. Can easily knock the puck off opponents by using checking skills.
  • Top rated fighting skills that can help energize the team.
Weaknesses:
  • Poor shooting and puck skills.
  • Strong but not skilled.
TWO-WAY FORWARD

Strengths:
  • Has elements of both a playmaker and a grinder. An excellent player class for those who deploy a balanced attack strategy.
  • Uses defensive skills to win puck battles and create turnovers which help the team in the transition game.
  • Good passing skills which allow this class to set up teammates.
Weaknesses:
  • Good transition game but doesn’t excel on the offensive side of the puck compared to other classes.
  • This class needs to keep their play simple on offense as they lack deking ability.
TWO-WAY DEFENSEMAN

Strengths:
  • This class provides a good balance of offense and defense from the blue line. They are an excellent player class for those who deploy a balanced attack strategy.
  • Good at the transition game causing turnovers and getting a solid first pass out of the defensive zone.
Weaknesses:
  • Average shooting.
  • Average puck control.
OFFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN

Strengths:
  • A good choice for those who want to generate offense from the back-end or are looking for a power play quarterback.
  • Great shooting accuracy from the point.
  • Great passing in all situations.
Weaknesses:
  • Lack physical skills on offense and can get knocked off the puck more easily than the average player class.
  • Lacks physical skill on defense and will have trouble stopping opponents along the boards or in front of the net.
DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN

Strengths:
  • The perfect choice for when you want to shut down your opponent.
  • High rated physical and checking attributes.
  • Heavy shot from the point.
Weaknesses:
  • Average puck skills. This class can make simple breakout passes, but don’t expect them to act as a playmaker.
  • Low shooting accuracy.
BUTTERFLY GOALIE

Strengths:
  • Covers the bottom part of the net utilizing the popular butterfly style.
  • Strong rebound control.
Weaknesses:
  • More vulnerable to high shots going into the top corners.
STAND-UP GOALIE

Strengths:
  • A style that might be rare in today’s game, but could be extremely effective in EASHL. Covers the top part of the net more effectively.
  • Can see over screens with a higher vision rating.
  • Strong passing and puck playing ability that can help your team breakout of the defensive zone.
Weaknesses:
  • More susceptible to low shots that go along the ice.
HYBRID GOALIE

Strengths:
  • Average goalie skill across the board. This goalie class is perfect for the player that like to mix up their playing style as the game goes on.
Weaknesses:
  • No major weaknesses.
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by ChaseB; 07-27-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Details on EASHL Player Classes Revealed

Wish they gave an attribute by attribute breakdown for classes in the beta.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
Rock Band FTW!

murph17's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
they said they may reveal the #'s later. they are going to keep that a secret for now and are soliciting feedback based on how each classes plays and feels. they think everyone focuses on the raw #'s a little too much.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy

Some of the gamechangers mentioned the devs will be not releasing the actual numbers behind each build's attributes at launch and they wont be visible to players either in-game.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11

I guess that makes sense. We'll see.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #6
EA Game Changer

LuGer33's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Strengths and Weaknesses of EASHL Player Classes Revealed for Beta

The new goalie stance is such a great improvement.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:58 PM   #7
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer
Some of the gamechangers mentioned the devs will be not releasing the actual numbers behind each build's attributes at launch and they wont be visible to players either in-game.
I'd prefer they don't release the ratings. Maybe a few more specific strengths/weaknesses, but all the numbers would muddle the feedback I think.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #8
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Strengths and Weaknesses of EASHL Player Classes Revealed for Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGer33

The new goalie stance is such a great improvement.
It looks better yes, but they really should allow you to pick your own stance. There are such variations in goalie stances, and no one way is correct. Goalies do it however they feel comfortable. My stance playing goalie was basically identical to the way EA had it but my hands were closer to my body covering up the holes in-between the body and arms. I have my reasons for why I like that, but I won't go into that. Nonetheless there is no reason EA shouldn't have more than one stance for goalies. IMO every NHL goalie in the game should have their real stance but that's not happening. Somehow hundreds of hitters in a MLB game have their batting stance but EA can't do 60 or a bit more goalies.

I also don't understand the goalie styles. What is the point of even using butterfly and stand up if there is truly no incentive to? You may as well just use hybrid because there are 0 weaknesses. I just don't think that makes any sense. Why would anyone want to be really good on one attribute, and bad on the other. I just don't get it. May as well be decent on both.

I am really interested to see how these goalies move now though. It would be a big help to the game if these goalies start moving and reacting like they do in real life.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »