Home

EASHL Beta Impressions: Glenn's Take

This is a discussion on EASHL Beta Impressions: Glenn's Take within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
EASHL Beta Impressions: Glenn's Take

Now that the NHL 16 EASHL beta is officially out, we can see how it plays in the wild. There have definitely been some technical issues -- this is a beta after all -- but when things have gone smoothly, the action has been pretty enjoyable. Here are some quick thoughts on how things have gone for my squad so far...

Read More - EASHL Beta Impressions: Glenn's Take
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Rookie

JayBillups36's Arena

OVR: 0
Yeah the behind the net play is a disaster. Multiple times my defender even put the puck in the net but the goal doesn't count it just whistles for faceoff. The goalie flipping the puck out of bounds for penalty seems excessive, he once darts out of the net in overtime just to turn the puck over and leave wide open net.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
Rookie

VTKombat's Arena

Re: EASHL Beta Impressions: Glenn's Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBillups36
Yeah the behind the net play is a disaster. Multiple times my defender even put the puck in the net but the goal doesn't count it just whistles for faceoff. The goalie flipping the puck out of bounds for penalty seems excessive, he once darts out of the net in overtime just to turn the puck over and leave wide open net.
I was in a game where the goalie went behind the net to get the puck and got stuck to the boards there. We checked the hell out of him but he just spazzed out and finally the whistle blew. Was funny at the time.

twitch.tv/zer0ryd3r
Old 08-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #4
Banned

Re: EASHL Beta Impressions: Glenn's Take

Nice stuff on the cycle, can get behind that. However,

-AI on CPU teammates is also kind of all over the place. On the one hand, the AI can move the puck around the offensive zone pretty well, and it can certainly plug up some lanes and grab some passes. On the other hand, play behind the net has been a disaster so far, as the AI will get hung up on the net or bank the puck off the net. The AI awareness in board play also seems pretty suspect. It does the job, but it actually stood out negatively on several occasions, which is a bit disconcerting.

A bit disconcerting? Poor AI has plagued this series for eons and it's back and they haven't bothered to fix it, why? I play mostly offline, so this bothers me. I'm going to hope that they get this fixed through a patch for day one.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
Rookie

RevisIsland24's Arena

They NEED to add Drop in games for EASHL. It's dumb that you you need to wait for friend to get on, or hop from club to club, just to play a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
Rookie

Well my thoughts are pretty much the same. The A.I. In the defensive zone definitely needs work when they have the puck. Last night the goalie skated up to get the puck. He passed it to the cpu defender, the defender continued to skate down directly into the net and scored on himself. There was no pressure on him he just decided to keep skating down and ran directly in to the net which was 15-20 feet away when he got the puck. The cpu is a mess behind the net but for everything else it's by far the best we have seen from them in EASHL.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
Rookie

GrandMaster B's Arena

OVR: 15
I would like to see some stat overlays added to the games that we got in the past when your player reached a certain milestone, like 50 career goals, etc. I know they had these in 14.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2
As for the AI getting hung up on the net, it seems that your strategy and the location on ice of the forwards decide if the D-Men are going to freak out behind the net. We noticed that when playing over the last two days that if you try to keep your wingers just inside the blue line and the center is either just over the blue line or just inside the D-Men don't get hung up. We also noted that the puck movement from the AI is very Strategy dependent and if your human players are sitting back and you have the game to press the AI will make really bad choices and look horrible. Overall defensive play from the AI is not good, but once they touch the puck it seems to get better IMO. I've caught myself and virtually everyone else taking off each time the AI get the puck hoping for the NHL 14 homerun break out pass and it usually doesn't happen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »