Home

NHL 16: EASHL Beta Impressions Video

This is a discussion on NHL 16: EASHL Beta Impressions Video within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NHL 16: EASHL Beta Impressions Video

With the EASHL Beta program continuing, we managed to get Jayson Young away from his PS4 to talk to us about what he thinks of EASHL so far in a new video.

In the video, Jayson talks about what he likes about the mode, what he's worried about, and gives an outlook on what you can expect. Also, in case you missed it -- we posted additional impressions on the NHL 16 EASHL Beta earlier today from our own Glenn Wigmore as well.
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2015, 02:40 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
I have played over 20 games in X1 and have yet to have any input lag (there was a lot in 15). I play mostly 2-2 cause I only have a few friends that play eashl. The only time I the cpu is an issue is in its own end with the puck. They are pretty solid all around otherwise. However if your use to playing with big groups I'm sure your probably not going to find the cpu as nice as I do. Been playing 2-2 or 3-3 since eashl started so I'm well adjusted to how the cpu works.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:52 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 16: EASHL Beta Impressions Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
With the EASHL Beta program continuing, we managed to get Jayson Young away from his PS4 to talk to us about what he thinks of EASHL so far in a new video.

In the video, Jayson talks about what he likes about the mode, what he's worried about, and gives an outlook on what you can expect. Also, in case you missed it -- we posted additional impressions on the NHL 16 EASHL Beta earlier today from our own Glenn Wigmore as well.
Pretty much spot on. I have played 40 games now with the OS East guys and so far it's been a lot of fun. Also playing on PS4. Covering the post with L1 instead of R1 is a pain, hopefully they get feedback and either change it or allow for mapping controls.

I really do like the class system. It will definitely add to the enjoyment of the game.

A couple of times, I have had some major lag issues, especially Saturday night, but it's been better since and was fine Friday. Could have just been me no one else was complaining about it as much.

I just got done playing some 3 on 3 (user goalies and 2 forwards) and I'll say this about the AI. Sometimes it plays better than I expect. AI behind the net needs to be fixed, they lose the puck on the net all the time. That, and if you get a defensemen AI in front of the goalie and pass it to him, he almost never is able to control the pass. Not sure if that's intentional or not to create havoc, but would be nice if they fix. I'd describe the AI as inconsistent if I had to describe it in one word. I think it plays better than 15 though, mainly playing Be-A-Pro for close to 200 games being my comparison.

AI Goalies are pretty sharp overall, usually only give up 0-3 goals and making you really work for it.

You can tell a lot of time and effort by EA went into team play and a better experience and more rewarding experience for solid team play, which is what sports are all about.

I double-checked something on the stat tracking. It doesn't seem to be giving you credit for a blocked shot unless you press the shot block button. I sometimes do, sometimes do not, but I've played 40 games and it says I have 1 blocked shot. Obviously that is off, but I rarely actually use the block shot button so think that could be the issue.

If they added some more features to the dressing room like game tracking or at least refresh every 30 seconds so we could se the progress of the current game that would be nice. I also think it would be really cool if they added the ability for people in the dressing room to scrimmage or practice or something. Maybe one day...

Menus and features are still a bit laggy compared to FIFA or Madden, but improved over 16 for sure.

The future looks bright, just wish they were building on this from last year instead but it is what it is. So far, things are looking up on 16 and this gen going forward.

Last edited by TheNinjaGuyDon; 08-04-2015 at 03:56 AM. Reason: adding something I forgot.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
Rookie

jmallymav's Arena

OVR: 1
I would love OTP mode. I just wanna create my guy and play other ppl, instead of having to form a team.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
I double-checked something on the stat tracking. It doesn't seem to be giving you credit for a blocked shot unless you press the shot block button. I sometimes do, sometimes do not, but I've played 40 games and it says I have 1 blocked shot. Obviously that is off, but I rarely actually use the block shot button so think that could be the issue.
This has been a bug in the game for a long time now. Probably since the very beginning of the EASHL.

I did notice this year that it does seem to track all shot blocks correctly whenever you're inside the game. I had a game the other night where a stat wipe popped up under the score bar showing I had 5 blocks. But immediately after the game, when I went to check my all-time club stats, it showed that I only had 1 career shot block.

The bigger issue with shot blocking isn't stats, but that you can't trigger the standing block animation and the diving animation separately, because they are tied to the same button (LB + RB). So a lot of the time, a shot that should have been blocked will get through to the net, just because the game selected the wrong animation type.

If EA would just go ahead and move stick checking to the right joystick, and leave hitting on the left joystick, this would free up an extra shoulder button that could be used to separate the diving block and the standing block.

Last edited by jyoung; 08-04-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
MVP

KleShreen's Arena

OVR: 10
Can anyone tell me how to get the camera view that is at the beginning of the video? I can't figure out how to get the camera to follow the puck rather than my player. On 360 it was just the Select button, but this is my first time playing PS4, and I can't figure out how to do that.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleShreen
Can anyone tell me how to get the camera view that is at the beginning of the video? I can't figure out how to get the camera to follow the puck rather than my player. On 360 it was just the Select button, but this is my first time playing PS4, and I can't figure out how to do that.
It looks like the "Ice" camera, but I'm not 100% certain.

On PS4, the touchpad is used to switch the camera's focus between following the puck or following your player. Just press the touchpad if you want to switch back and forth.

If you have auto zoom turned on, the dynamic cameras will also move a lot more this year to try to keep your player and the puck on the screen at the same time.

I recommend the high dynamic view with auto zoom if you're playing defense. But the Ice camera with auto zoom disabled is fine for offense.

Last edited by jyoung; 08-04-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:07 PM   #8
MVP

KleShreen's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
It looks like the "Ice" camera, but I'm not 100% certain.

On PS4, the touchpad is used to switch the camera's focus between following the puck or following your player. Just press the touchpad if you want to switch back and forth.

If you have auto zoom turned on, the dynamic cameras will also move a lot more this year to try to keep your player and the puck on the screen at the same time.

I recommend the high dynamic view with auto zoom if you're playing defense. But the Ice camera with auto zoom disabled is fine for offense.
Thanks! I didn't even think to hit the touch pad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »