Home

NHL 16 Be a GM Developer Diary Scheduled For Tomorrow

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Be a GM Developer Diary Scheduled For Tomorrow within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #9
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NHL 16 Be a GM Developer Diary Scheduled For Tomorrow

This might be the make-or-break moment for my NHL16 purchase.

The Be a Pro video was interesting enough, but Be a GM is my bread and butter. These interactions look interesting, but if they actually do anything will be the big thing. Those all look pretty positive, and not really very different, so I'm interested to see how they affect players.

Also, sliders are going to be huge. The videos so far don't make it look like the AI has had a whole lot done to change the way it behaves, but if we can at the very least adjust sliders that have an actual impact on the game, Be a GM could have some new life.

Roster sharing, slider sharing, player creation, better stats, those are all things that would be great to have, but I could get by without if the gameplay is solid. That said, those things have all been missing, and gameplay has been getting pretty stagnant offline, so I'm really hoping EA has some good news with this video, and not just the usual fluff type thing like "Discipline you players! They'll get a frowny face next to their name".
I want to see guys connect while playing well together and get a stat boost. I want rookies to come in and play above their attributes. I want to see a player's performance affect their salary in negotiations, and who is interested in them. I want teams to actually try to do things like rebuild, shed players to stack prospects and picks, move salary around to make room for a free agent, and most importantly, fight to keep guys who a team realistically wouldn't let walk for nothing. If there's a dialogue system, having my top-line center say things like "I'm not sure about my future. I might test free agency" would make me want to trade them. If they're wanting to stay, it makes that choice harder. Do I go for the big trade in case they get swooned with a better off season offer, or do I keep them and hope to win against the other teams? Seeing goalies have their confidence affected by goals, which might be dependent on their poise rating would give you reason to actually worry about pulling them, and worry about possibly hurting the development of your rookie goalie/players by putting them in too soon. Plenty of players get their development stunted when they get sent to the AHL before they're ready, and it hurts their overall progress. It would be great to see something like that in the NHL series. Making you care about your roster, and pay attention to your rookies would be so immersive.

I just want some real depth in the game.

Last edited by actionhank; 08-20-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0
Oh for Christ's sake! Those are all things a coach would say to his players, not the GM. GM's don't call for bag skates or give pep talks, that's the coach's job. GMs negotiate contracts and make trades. BaGM should allow you to hire and fire coaches. Coaches who each have their own style (e.g. players' coach, disciplinarian, defense-first, etc.), which, in turn, affect the teams' performance. Is there even a single element of hockey that EA understands?

It's frankly bull that we still don't have authentic NHL coaches in the game with traits that reflect their real-lie counterparts. I want Coach Q's mustache (so much of his authority is derived from his power right there), his line-blendering, and his distrust for young players. Madden has had this feature for 15+ years.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #11
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

I pretty much agree with everything being said here so far, but here is what's upsetting me. The game is called NHL 16, not EASHL 16. I simply feel like EA is using its game to focus more on its own hockey league than it is on the league whose name the game bares. It's disingenuous and unprofessional to title your game after a league, but put little effort and resources into reflecting that league while dumping most of your focus onto your own version of hockey and your own league. Oh well, I'll wait for the Diary and bring with me my lowered expectations and soured attitude.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #12
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
This might be the make-or-break moment for my NHL16 purchase.

The Be a Pro video was interesting enough, but Be a GM is my bread and butter. These interactions look interesting, but if they actually do anything will be the big thing. Those all look pretty positive, and not really very different, so I'm interested to see how they affect players.

Also, sliders are going to be huge. The videos so far don't make it look like the AI has had a whole lot done to change the way it behaves, but if we can at the very least adjust sliders that have an actual impact on the game, Be a GM could have some new life.

Roster sharing, slider sharing, player creation, better stats, those are all things that would be great to have, but I could get by without if the gameplay is solid. That said, those things have all been missing, and gameplay has been getting pretty stagnant offline, so I'm really hoping EA has some good news with this video, and not just the usual fluff type thing like "Discipline you players! They'll get a frowny face next to their name".
I want to see guys connect while playing well together and get a stat boost. I want rookies to come in and play above their attributes. I want to see a player's performance affect their salary in negotiations, and who is interested in them. I want teams to actually try to do things like rebuild, shed players to stack prospects and picks, move salary around to make room for a free agent, and most importantly, fight to keep guys who a team realistically wouldn't let walk for nothing. If there's a dialogue system, having my top-line center say things like "I'm not sure about my future. I might test free agency" would make me want to trade them. If they're wanting to stay, it makes that choice harder. Do I go for the big trade in case they get swooned with a better off season offer, or do I keep them and hope to win against the other teams? Seeing goalies have their confidence affected by goals, which might be dependent on their poise rating would give you reason to actually worry about pulling them, and worry about possibly hurting the development of your rookie goalie/players by putting them in too soon. Plenty of players get their development stunted when they get sent to the AHL before they're ready, and it hurts their overall progress. It would be great to see something like that in the NHL series. Making you care about your roster, and pay attention to your rookies would be so immersive.

I just want some real depth in the game.
Yep Hank....many of the things i thought we'd see by the year 2015. The game is pretty i'm sure,which is cool. But just wow!....at this point in time to have a game thats so shallow in depth, player ratings that are at best suspect (mean little) and overall piss poor ai, is very disappointing. As a person who's played sports games since damn near the very beginning of them, l've been a fool. I truly thought they'd have incredible realism and depth by now. Nope.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #13
Banned

No Name's Arena

OVR: 0

Us bagm guys need to band together for changes we get 4ail road ed every yr because the can't profit from us after purchase ....when does the ea nhl deal end soon I hope
Old 08-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #14
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Yep Hank....many of the things i thought we'd see by the year 2015. The game is pretty i'm sure,which is cool. But just wow!....at this point in time to have a game thats so shallow in depth, player ratings that are at best suspect (mean little) and overall piss poor ai, is very disappointing. As a person who's played sports games since damn near the very beginning of them, l've been a fool. I truly thought they'd have incredible realism and depth by now. Nope.
I had hoped that maybe the more powerful system would lead to better physics, AI, season stats, team AI with how they handle other GM's and their own players...but I guess it's not looking promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=109&v=k5vPeQEMYmw

Edit: Having just watched the above video, they pretty much confirmed that everything from NHL14 is back in Be a GM, and that they added morale...but don't really discuss how it works. Pausing it in the video, it looks like roster moves, playing time, and trades all affect it positively and negatively. It'll be interesting to see if it really does anything in game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name
Us bagm guys need to band together for changes we get 4ail road ed every yr because the can't profit from us after purchase ....when does the ea nhl deal end soon I hope
I don't think they have exclusive rights to the NHL license. They're just the only team doing it, because it's a small market game that's hard to compete against another established game in. I think now's the time for someone like 2K sports, or SCEA to take a stab, if any, but I doubt anyone else will.

Last edited by actionhank; 08-20-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:38 PM   #15
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

Well this will decide if I get the game or not since I'm only a franchise mode type players.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2015, 12:58 AM   #16
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Have to admit my opinions about what 16 will bring have soured, some. But i am still holding out hope to be pleasantly suprised with the full game in hand. I know i'll enjoy playing on-line vs my son ( in Minnesota) and daughter (in Florida). But GM mode is where i spend most of my gaming time. Really hoping to dig that too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »