Home

Madden NFL 16: Reviewer First Impressions

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 16: Reviewer First Impressions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Madden NFL 16: Reviewer First Impressions

If you can't see the video above, click here.

Madden NFL 16 is finally here, the surest sign yet that football season will arrive before you know it. Madden this year is seeking to refine the entire experience, with an improved passing game, the new draft champions mode, and an improved presentation package. After a few games, here are my thoughts:
  • My first overall impression is that Madden NFL 16 is simply better. Everything is improved it seems, and the new animations add a bit of a new dimension to the title.
  • The penalties are actually called, although there is a weird encroachment bug that needs to be worked out -- unfortunately this bug does show that at least some penalties are pre-determined before the ball is even snapped. (Update/Edit: Seems this bug is because a defensive player is doing the old fashioned spy on the opponents huddle yard trick.)
  • The new passing game mechanics are pretty solid. As a QB, it's a lot more control over where your passes are going. As a WR or DB, the animations and split second choices you have to make add a new dimension to the game.
  • The blocking schemes are certainly better, and you aren't recording 10+ sacks a game anymore. So there's that nugget of good news.
  • The presentation and atmosphere seem to have taken a rather noticeable step forward. Commentary isn't nearly as bad as last year (it seems kind of ok really), and the camera angles and such continue to be superb.
  • Running game is solid still, improved in many ways. The broken tackles and new animations just look good.
Overall Early Outlook

My review isn't out until later in the week, but if you are trying to make a decision today -- I would say the gameplay on the field is refined and better in almost every tangible way. That's a very good thing. If the modes shape up well, and no major game killers are out there, Madden NFL 16 is shaping up to a noticeable step forward over last year's title.
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Madden NFL 16: Reviewer First Impressions

Glad to hear it's an improved experience. I didn't play a whole lot of last years title. I've already picked up the game on my lunch break. Waiting for the work day to end so I can fire it up tonight!
NBA: Charlotte Hornets
NHL: Carolina Hurricanes
Old 08-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Madden NFL 16: Reviewer First Impressions

I appreciate this post but I don't understand how you can say there are no major game killers when the regression problem and the boosted player attributes to 100+ for completing drive goals pretty much breaks the game mode?
Old 08-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
Just started!

OVR: 0
1:08 bruh you had huff
Old 08-25-2015, 04:24 PM   #5
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4
The encroachment penalty bug is because for some reason a defensive guy touches an offensive player coming out of the huddle and causes the game to call a penalty. It's a bug but not a predetermined penalty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
Banned

I noticed that online head to head games to not have referees on field! This has to be fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #7
Banned

I noticed that online head to head games do not have referees on field! This has to be fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujomatty
The encroachment penalty bug is because for some reason a defensive guy touches an offensive player coming out of the huddle and causes the game to call a penalty. It's a bug but not a predetermined penalty.
That would make a bit more sense. I always tend to look elsewhere coming out of the huddle so I never really see that happen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »