Home

Madden NFL 16 Video - Attacking Deep Zones in the Passing Game

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 16 Video - Attacking Deep Zones in the Passing Game within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Madden NFL 16 Video - Attacking Deep Zones in the Passing Game

In this video, we take a look at a couple of theories (out of many) on how to attack deep zone coverages in Madden NFL 16. In this video, we focus on the cover two, but the overall concepts presented would tend to apply to most other deep zone coverages as well.

The first concept we look at is how some playcalls in Madden simply don't work against some defenses. This is obviously a good thing in terms of realism! Our first playcall is a deep TE crossing route with two deep routes by the WRs into the teeth of a cover two playcall -- the results are predictably bad.

We then shift gears to a more reasonable playcall versus the cover two, which features some underneath and short routes which have more success. As with any passing concept against the zone, timing and space are everything.

This is the first in a series of videos on the passing game and breaking it down, let us know what other concepts you'd like to see covered in the comments!
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
Rookie

Wolverines05's Arena

OVR: 5
Oh no. Chris this is a series I was literally just working on! hah. great work though
Old 09-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 16: Attacking Deep Zones in the Passing Game Video

This is an interesting video, but is somewhat misleading.

The deep holes in cover 2 are down the middle (particularly off play action or some other route combination that causes the MLB to not get depth), and down the intermediate sideline areas, between the corners and the safeties. Cover 2 is particularly vulnerable to smash concepts where the outside WR runs a short hitch (causing the CB to play short), and a slot receiver runs a corner route into the open area between the CB and the safety.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
The problem is that you're using Alex Smith (King of Checkfown).

Wasn't Jamal Charles his favorite target last year? Didn't realize the Chiefs had wide receivers on the field of play when Alex Smith took the helm. All I ever saw was either Alex handing the ball directly to Jamaal Charles or checking down the ball to Jamaal Charles in the flat. The Chiefs could sign 4 wide receivers off the streets for a grand total of $100,000 to use a decoys and they would probably get the same production.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
I love the idea for this series but I do have a few remarks:

Almost any playcall will work against zone and cover 2 given enough time. In the TE crossing play, there is a window for a bullet pass to the weak side TE shortly after he passes the MLB. This is because the strongside TE carries the LB a bit and that creates room for the bullet pass. Granted, with Alex Smith's arm strength I am not sure how many times one wants to attempt such a pass, but the option is there.
But any zone coverage has holes in it, it is only a matter of time before a WR/TE reaches the hole. That is why the bad pass rush is such a problem -- if you run a cover 2 defense you need to be able to consistently get pressure with your front 4. That does not happen in Madden.

Also regarding the seam route to the TE -- They are near money if you have a underneath WR running something like a drag or slant that can hold the LB from dropping back to far. It is like the inverse of the dagger concept. In that route combination, the WR running a go route clears out the defenders for the deep in. In this route combo the underneath route holds the LB to complete the seam.

So the key thing to be aware of is that against zones you need route combos that work in tandem. They can be floods or hi-lo reads.

And if you are the defense running zone you better hope your pass rush can generate pressure (unless it is 3rd and long and you are content to give up the underneath and make the tackle short of the sticks).

Finally one comment to help in reading defenses immediately after the snap -- if the LBs shoulders are squared with the LOS it is zone, if they turn their shoulder to you it is man. If one stays squared up and another turns, that probably means a safety is on the TE. So look for the deep outside route :P
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #6
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Madden NFL 16 Video - Attacking Deep Zones in the Passing Game

How about someone posts how to beat cover 4 Drop when the opponent takes their defensive end off the LOS and uses him to cover the deep middle of the field.

Post that and I'm all ears.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:57 PM   #7
Rookie

Either run the ball, or hold it forever against a 2 man pass rush and wait for zones downfield (particularly on the sidelines) to break down.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #8
MVP

Number999's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_The_Door
How about someone posts how to beat cover 4 Drop when the opponent takes their defensive end off the LOS and uses him to cover the deep middle of the field.

Post that and I'm all ears.
Draw play from your QB in the shotgun... you'll get 10 yards every-time if he keeps using the same play on 3 downs. I played a guy today in MUT who literally ran the exact same Cover 4 play with QB Contain and I just ran it down his throat before he was forced to make a change, and I made him pay deep.

I've noticed that while it applies in all Maddens, this year especially you have to have a fluid gameplan and not just stick with what you know. I never scored on under 10 plays against him but I milked a ton of clock and all he knew what to do was heave it deep and I ended up victorious (albeit, with a close call at the end).
NHL - Florida Panthers
Soccer - Real Madrid

Crystal Palace ~ FIFA 18 Dynasty!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »