Home

Madden NFL 16 Video - Some Thoughts on the Short Passing Game

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 16 Video - Some Thoughts on the Short Passing Game within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Madden NFL 16 Video - Some Thoughts on the Short Passing Game

Previously, we looked at how to attack the deep zones in Madden with a few thoughts on passing concepts against the cover two. Today, we're going to take a look at some thoughts on the short passing game. If you can't see the video above, click here to view it.

As with the last video, it's pretty much impossible to comprehensively cover the concepts needed in the short passing game in a quick five-ish minute video, so we'll keep the content simple and the approach pretty broad brushed.

The short passing game's biggest positive is that if you know how to effectively run it, you can keep the chains moving by getting your receivers into open space where your quarterback can effectively deliver the ball to them. Obviously, you will need to know how to read the linebackers and what they are doing as well as have an understanding of the matchups your receivers are facing.

Finding mismatches and soft spots on the field will mean you can complete short but meaningful passes for reasonably good gains. When mixed with an effective run game, you'll find the chains are always moving for your offense. As with last time, if you want a specific topic covered be sure to suggest it in the comments and we'll certainly consider it for a future video!
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 16: Some Thoughts on the Short Passing Game

Good write up. My problem with the short passing game is defending it. No matter what I do, press, shade, play underneath, there are always guys wide open bc defenders don't react properly.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Good write up. My problem with the short passing game is defending it. No matter what I do, press, shade, play underneath, there are always guys wide open bc defenders don't react properly.
Yes I agree.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 4

If you want you can short pass your way to td's all day long because of what the above poster said. Defenders don't react properly. Shocking.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #5
Rookie

It's crazy that the short passing game is pretty much unstoppable. I lost an online game today cuz someone ran the same play with the slot receiver doing the drag route. I hope they patch the defensive ai to recognize the same play being ran over and over again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2015, 06:45 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by qeezus_price
It's crazy that the short passing game is pretty much unstoppable. I lost an online game today cuz someone ran the same play with the slot receiver doing the drag route. I hope they patch the defensive ai to recognize the same play being ran over and over again.
I would love to not only see that, but take it a step further. Individual players should react to seeing the same route ran over and over again.

But it is not something that can be patched I am afraid.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #7
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

I've thought this aspect of the game has been overpowered ever since I can remember. Like previous posts stated if you wanted you could drag your way all the way down the field with no CPU ai adjusting or no matter what you select with underneath, inside, etc it doesn't seem to do anything. Not a game killer but frustrating...
Old 09-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Observations on this video:

First to touch on why the short passing game is too effective. It is because of a lack of contact. Defenders don't chuck guys or do anything to disrupt the timing. Short passes are all about timing and the defense needs to disrupt that timing. There is also the problem of a video game. In real life passing lanes and vision are extremely important. We have the luxury of playing from a 3/4 top down camera that allows us to see the whole field immediately. Imagine running a short passing game from a FP perspective. Quite the dilemma.

Second, you were running one of my favorite plays! I don't think I am the only one who runs Stick a lot, but I prefer not running it with 5 WR. I run it with 4 WR/TE and a back. Personally I don't like running double slants into zone because it is more risky than I like. Instead I run a single backside slant. Reason being is that if it is zone the right side will be open. But if it is man I have that backslide slant open and because it is trips I will have plenty of room after the catch. But versus a zone the TE and slot route are all you need, and they are safer than a double slant (imo).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »