Home

Madden NFL 16 Video - Some Thoughts on the Short Passing Game

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 16 Video - Some Thoughts on the Short Passing Game within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Not sure if anyone wants to play this way, but the remedy I use for dink and dunk passing issues is to lower the QB acc and WR ctc sliders. Some will probably disagree, and not want to see wide open NFL receivers dropping too many passes but I don't give a rats *** about em dropping passes!!

This keeps QB completion percentage closer to reality AND, it sticks it to the QB AI when they try to go into robo comeback mode!!! Robo mode has been toned down and pretty much eradicated in most cases, but every now and then they try to get slick.

I'm currently at QB acc Hum-13/CPU-13…and WR CTC Hum-13/CPU-11. I'm still testing, so I see the sliders going up maybe three to four points for both HUM/CPU reference WR Catch (they're dropping TOO many lmao). I think QB accuracy is pretty much spot on, maaaaybe one or two more points up. That, gentlemen, is how you stop the short passing game.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #18
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Observations on this video:

First to touch on why the short passing game is too effective. It is because of a lack of contact. Defenders don't chuck guys or do anything to disrupt the timing. Short passes are all about timing and the defense needs to disrupt that timing. There is also the problem of a video game. In real life passing lanes and vision are extremely important. We have the luxury of playing from a 3/4 top down camera that allows us to see the whole field immediately. Imagine running a short passing game from a FP perspective. Quite the dilemma.

Second, you were running one of my favorite plays! I don't think I am the only one who runs Stick a lot, but I prefer not running it with 5 WR. I run it with 4 WR/TE and a back. Personally I don't like running double slants into zone because it is more risky than I like. Instead I run a single backside slant. Reason being is that if it is zone the right side will be open. But if it is man I have that backslide slant open and because it is trips I will have plenty of room after the catch. But versus a zone the TE and slot route are all you need, and they are safer than a double slant (imo).
Actually there is zone chucking. In the Madden Twitch stream they showed it and it has happened to my recivers at times
Old 09-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Madden NFL 16 Video - Some Thoughts on the Short Passing Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
Actually there is zone chucking. In the Madden Twitch stream they showed it and it has happened to my recivers at times
It is present, but it does not happen as often as it should. I did not watch this year's stream but I remember from last year's gameplay stream they showed an example. I remember that they kind of had some difficulty getting it to trigger. That should not be the case.
In the video above watch the defender over the weakside slot. He cannot jam him at the line, but at least give him a chuck.

The defenders in a zone immediately start dropping back instead of first reacting to the offense. In most zone schemes the first coverage duty of an outside LB or safety in the box is to wall off #2 from inside routes. They don't do that in Madden; it is a very passive zone.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #20
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Re: Madden NFL 16 Video - Some Thoughts on the Short Passing Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
It is present, but it does not happen as often as it should. I did not watch this year's stream but I remember from last year's gameplay stream they showed an example. I remember that they kind of had some difficulty getting it to trigger. That should not be the case.
In the video above watch the defender over the weakside slot. He cannot jam him at the line, but at least give him a chuck.

The defenders in a zone immediately start dropping back instead of first reacting to the offense. In most zone schemes the first coverage duty of an outside LB or safety in the box is to wall off #2 from inside routes. They don't do that in Madden; it is a very passive zone.
I'm glad someone else who knows football is having the same thoughts as me. Every times I bring up zone defense being too passive and rigid I get told to just adjust sliders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »