Home

NBA Live 16 Playcalling and Defense Details

This is a discussion on NBA Live 16 Playcalling and Defense Details within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #17
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: NBA Live 16 - Playcalling and Defense Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Looks like Live didn't model the thigh anatomy well. Need more girth. Even Butler's legs has that concern if you look closely.

Pretty much. No deadlift and no squats.

4 questions:
(1) How quickly can you cycle through the plays?
(2) Is traditional broadcast view is available?
(3) Can you zoom in on this particular camera angle? Custom camera?
(4) Playing Live15 demo, I notice a lot of shots goes in perfectly with a swish. Rarely did I see the ball hit the rim wherever I shot the ball. Has Live16 improved the variety in ball/rim contact physics?
1 - Pretty quick once you get accustomed to where each play is. They're broken down by isolation plays, post up, etc within the "full playbook' option.
2 - Traditional broadcast is still there. ESPN Broadcast and EA Broadcast
3 - No, I don't think so. It zooms once you're to a certain spot on the floor. I swear, it's a beautiful angle, allows you to see so much.
4 - Much greater variety. That was a pet peeve of mine too. The interaction this year is much better. Last year, depending on the arc of a shot, you could tell if it was going in or not. This year, that's gone too,so it's an organic feel.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #18
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

I thought on ball and overall perimeter defense was an area where live was a head last year . But it lacked so bad in post D so this is s nice welcome
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 09-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman11
I really hope this year there is some variety in offenses especially vs the CPU. In other words, it felt no different playing against the Spurs as opposed to Cavs. I know there were team-specific playbooks last year but it seemed like every team ran the same couple of sets. It became very stale.
This is what concerns me....

They added these new playbooks and the blog mentions how the USER will be able to execute those playbooks.'

But it doesn't mention anything about the CPU taking advantage the playbooks in the same manner as the User....

I really hope those Quick plays aren't the only plays that the CPU utilize all game because in years past every single team would call the same exact 3-4 Quick plays for the CPU and not even use any of their assigned playbook outside of those plays.

That is why the game has always felt stale to you as mentioned.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 09-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #20
Benchwarming Since 92

TDYRX's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA Live 16 Playcalling and Defense Details

Improvements sound pretty solid and I'm excited to try that new camera. Just glad we're finally getting some info.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #21
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman11
I really hope this year there is some variety in offenses especially vs the CPU. In other words, it felt no different playing against the Spurs as opposed to Cavs. I know there were team-specific playbooks last year but it seemed like every team ran the same couple of sets. It became very stale.

On the other hand, Live 15 was a cool experience when the game opened up and the tempo increased. Hopefully this is still there and even improved upon with a better passing game and more animations for driving/finishing as well as shooting off the dribble.

Also great to see some attention paid to the defensive end. I enjoyed playing on-ball defense in '15. Footplanting was great and I could actually push the ball handler where I wanted him to go. Now, with better help side these situations could be expanded on if we can funnel ball-handlers into our help defenders. Would be nice to see a drive and dish for an open jumper Live 09 style.
There's some pretty sweet news about playcalling that I can't talk about yet.

You'll see some teams sharing some of the same plays, but it's a much different ballgame this year. The ability to move the ball around the perimeter quickly is awesome, and the CPU will do it really well. Screen and re-screen, double screens working to get the ball in the right hands. Then once it's in the right hands, seeing them go to work will be a thing of beauty. Signature sizeups, crosses, step back jumpers, pull up jumpers, euro-steps, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #22
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Did pick and pop feel pretty fluid for you WTF?

Don't know about everyone else, but it was a pain for me the last two editions...
Old 09-10-2015, 12:22 PM   #23
Pro

kolanji's Arena

OVR: 19

This info on play calling, especially defensive improvements has really gotten me excited to play the demo and get a good feel of this game......
Old 09-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #24
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

Yeah, the new mechanic really does. No better feeling than drawing that second defender to come along with the ball handler, to take the attention off of the screener to pop.

It didn't feel great in 15. It was semi-functional, but wasn't solid. This year, I feel it's solid.

You'll have fun with Lamarcus and David West this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »