Home

NBA 2K16 Gameplay Video - Chicago Bulls vs. Memphis Grizzlies

This is a discussion on NBA 2K16 Gameplay Video - Chicago Bulls vs. Memphis Grizzlies within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: NBA 2K16 Gameplay Video - Chicago Bulls vs. Memphis Grizzlies

Quote:
Originally Posted by milin
That first layup by Rose is one the things I hate on 2K. He had an open lane, he could have tried a normal layup, but he was sucked into Conley for a contact layup, and of course, when that type of layup animation happens, you're gonna miss it everytime.
That's a good point and I share your sentiments. Logic and physics say that probably should have been a wide-open layup off one foot from Rose, considering his momentum, his defender's momentum, and the angle he had to the hoop.

Instead, he somehow ended up like this:

Looks quite unnatural on video and makes it tough as a gamer. Rose gets a clear edge, has an open lane, and the gamer makes the right decision (to initiate what should be a swooping layup) and instead gets punished by a random catch-up body animation.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #10
Rookie

milin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
That's a good point and I share your sentiments. Logic and physics say that probably should have been a wide-open layup off one foot from Rose, considering his momentum, his defender's momentum, and the angle he had to the hoop.

Looks quite unnatural on video and makes it tough as a gamer. Rose gets a clear edge, has an open lane, and the gamer makes the right decision (to initiate what should be a swooping layup) and instead gets punished by a random catch-up body animation.
Exactly! And you can even see that he's going to try a normal layup before being sucked into Conley, but the game decided otherwise.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0
# 6milin @ 09/14/15 04:03 PM
That first layup by Rose is one the things I hate on 2K. He had an open lane, he could have tried a normal layup, but he was sucked into Conley for a contact layup, and of course, when that type of layup animation happens, you're gonna miss it everytime.

That's good defense though. He cut off a direct path to the basket and contested the shot
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeBruhChill

That's good defense though. He cut off a direct path to the basket and contested the shot
Respectfully, I thought it was awful defense all the way through, which is what made the result so discouraging.

It's easiest to see it in the video itself (as opposed to screenshots) but Conley is beat pretty much off the tip. Rose is sprinting and the defender is chilling five feet away with his feet planted, basically rolling out the red carpet to the rim.

And again, as can be seen on the video, the defender is behind Rose the entire play, and rightfully so, because he was out of position from the start. This is the antithesis of cutting off a direct path, unless Rose is trying to score at center court:

Yet even then, the defender is warped via animation into creating a contested miss that never should have happened. As a one-off, I'd write it off as being a random result but I admit, I've been in that same situation many times with this game and it's frustrating to see and know a clean layup takeoff should occur but an illogical animation plays out instead. It's not a game-breaker, but it's definitely not a great aspect either.

Last edited by VDusen04; 09-14-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #13
Rookie

milin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeBruhChill

Yeah that's true, but think as a ball player. Think that you're Rose driving. Are you going to change your shot like that for a little contact on the side? What maybe should have happened is that Rose should have tried a normal layup and maybe be pushed a little by Conley, but what really happened is something that always rubs me the wrong way in 2K, and shouldn't happen with good contact physics.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5
I didn't recognize a crowd reaction improvement but there is certainly an improvement to player models.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #15
Rookie

milin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04

It's not game breaking like you said, but this happens far too often and I really hate that, especially playing My Career where the CPU is sucked into your player like glue all the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #16
MVP

MontanaMan's Arena

OVR: 0

Dear 2K,

Please update Derrick:

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »