Home

9th Circuit Upholds NCAA Can't Restrict Athletes

This is a discussion on 9th Circuit Upholds NCAA Can't Restrict Athletes within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
Rookie

Deezo's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 9th Circuit Upholds NCAA Can't Restrict Athletes

Fact is the NCAA is never going to give up the idea that student athletes shouldn't be paid. Universities like Alabama, LSU, Texas, USC, Ohio State, etc make over $100M a year off the football program. Most of which is funneled into the football team or to help fund other non-headline sports. Should the kids get some sort of stipend from the university, most would say yes. Should they be able to make money off their likeness? Maybe, depends on what brands they are endorsing. A Nike school wouldn't like their star RB to sign a shoe deal with UA or ADIDAS. I'd be okay with a kid like Cardale Jones endorsing Nike and getting some addition money for the use of his likeness. BUT...with him being on OS...and OS being sponsored by Nike...they don't have to paid him at the moment.

And additionally, schools that make more would potentially be able to "offer" players more of a stipend to play with them. It's like the biggest FA pool every year. Unless schools were capped with how much they can pay Student athletes. /rant

Old 09-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

An athletic scholarship is basically a full-time job for FBS athletes - based on not only the experiences described by former Northwestern QB Kain Colter, but my personal experience (in my first year of college I lived on the same hall as two football players who made it to the NFL). It is a full-time job which precludes players not only from enrolling in certain classes but also from taking advantage of other opportunities to earn income away from the athletic department. As such, it's my opinion that the players should be compensated as if they were employees while associated with the athletic program.

Given also that the TV deals for the television broadcast of college football and basketball games value in the Billions of dollars, it's also my opinion that the NCAA can afford to pay these players what they deserve. Without the players (regardless who they are; ESPN pays to broadcast all the games, not just the ones the stars suit up for) there is no product produced to create that television contract.

The current arrangement doesn't have any moral ground to stand and the legal grounds get more uncertain by the day. A better organization than the NCAA would try to stay ahead of the curve here, but my guess is that the NCAA will kill the entire thing before relenting to basic human decency.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 09-30-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 13
There is an easy alternative - the NCAA could simply license the schools/universities and a publisher (whether EA or another) could make a game featuring those schools. If the rosters were fictional (and did not bear any likenesses to actual players), and there was no create/edit players, or roster sharing (and yeah, I love create/edit players in any sports game, but this is a compromise), then I believe the game would be perfectly consistent with this case. Personally, I couldn't care less whether real players are in the game anyway - I play franchise, so current players are gone soon anyway (I just root for the laundry!).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #12
Pro

jmaj315's Arena

OVR: 2
NCAA football 2020 coming to stores near you
Old 09-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0
Wish they'd just release new games with generic everybody and allow unofficial roster importing.

Solved
Old 09-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #14
GLO
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike24forever
GLO,

No one paid to watch you study or write an exam, or made a video game of you doing it. I'm an educator and I believe student athletes deserve at least a guaranteed 4 years of education and an ability to make money off of their image, above and beyond their scholarship. Of course education has value, but so does their image.
Fair point. To counter, then let them take the money they get paid from their image and use that to pay for their education. (just like the rest of us that had to work full or part time jobs to get through college). I understand it's a fine line argument either way, the thing that bothers me is how often this discussion is framed in the (false) context of these student-athletes not having any money for food or other things. I am also an educator and have known plenty of student athletes that are doing more than fine with all the "extras" that come along with being a high profile college athlete.

As it stands right now the education is "payment" in the form of a scholarship. If they want to make the millions that a coach or college executive make then let them work hard and earn it over time just like those adults did. There is nowhere in the work force where 18, 19 or 20 year old kids can come into an organization and demand to be paid as much as the CEO or top execs, no matter how "famous" they are. (other than Hollywood and I doubt anyone would argue that Hollywood is the structure we should follow for work-force compensation?)

I'm fine with the change to pay the players, but if that happens then remove the scholarships and give them to kids who can't make millions from endorsement deals. If an 18 year old kid gets a 2 million dollar contract from Nike, the $25k tuition shouldn't be a problem.

By arguing that they need to get paid and also keep the scholarships you are de-value-ing the education that the scholarship is paying for. There's no way around it.

Truth is there probably isn't a neat and clean answer for this....
Old 09-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineseaplane
Wish they'd just release new games with generic everybody and allow unofficial roster importing.

Solved

This is what they should do!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2015, 04:11 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Just completely randomize rosters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »