Home

9th Circuit Upholds NCAA Can't Restrict Athletes

This is a discussion on 9th Circuit Upholds NCAA Can't Restrict Athletes within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2015, 05:36 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: 9th Circuit Upholds NCAA Can't Restrict Athletes

I think we all would support that. There's no need to compromise and leave out a roster editor. EA cannot be held responsible for user created rosters even if they are shared on a massive scale. EA got in trouble for having the rosters matchup in the way they did. Each position, player number, class, etc. matched up with the real player's, they just had no name. That got them into trouble.

But like the article states, the NCAA has a policy in place as of now that does not allow anymore NCAA video games to be made. I would love to see that be removed now and we get a random roster game next year, but we all know what is likely.

― Plato
Old 09-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #18
McG
Rookie

McG's Arena

OVR: 1
Nobody buys the "student athlete" thing anymore. Maybe from the early '90's all the way back to the start of college athletics, then yes of course. Schools during that period weren't getting paid hundreds of millions of dollars annually back then. Also, professional athletes (with the same recognition as their "student athlete" counterparts) during that time frame, weren't getting paid much more than a successful college grad. So it actually made sense to try to sell the world on the, "free education to play for their university" idea. Well those days are long gone and a lot has changed since this was a legitimate way to compensate their athletes.

The earning potential for NCAA sports exploded in the late '80's-early '90's along with professional athletes and the entire landscape of sports overall changed. So at this point, of course the NCAA wants to keep the amateur status on their athletes. Just look at how they go after any player or institution like rabid dogs that tries to receive cash for play. For instance I'll use the "SMU Death Penalty" as precedent, it was handed down in 1987 and basically shut down the program. Why, because the NCAA knew that if the type of money that was being thrown around became commonplace, then the NCAA would cease to exist. The NCAA knew exactly what they had then and they know now more than ever, what they still have. They are clinging on to the idea of "student athlete" like someone holding on for life at the end of rope hanging over a cliff.

The NCAA use the whole "student athlete" argument and bring up how much a college education costs, then they act like it somehow is an actual cost to the university. The literal cost to put another few people in a class is minimal, especially when compared to what the average "big TV sport" athlete brings to the school annually. That's without even factoring in what a star player can bring in. The "student athlete" argument is an obvious copout by the NCAA and also for the colleges involved. They know that if they have to pay the players then it will effect the bottom line significantly. I mean has anyone been on a major universities campus lately? Any of you that attended that school even 10-15 years ago go, go have a walk around your former campus and tell me if you recognize it. I'm not even talking about the athletic facilities, I mean the department buildings. Sure, some of the money comes from alumni donations, but a huge chunk comes from the athletic department. It's like when a drug dealer drives around the hood in a pimped out ride. Everyone knows how they got a car that costs more than their home, but no one can do anything about it.

I know this is longwinded and if you made it this far, I thank you. What the whole point that I'm trying to make is this. Players should have been getting paid for the last 30 years. They are what you and I pay for when we buy a ticket, get a jersey, put flag on our car, or BUY A VIDEO GAME. Or what ESPN/ABC, CBS, FOX, etc. pays for when they hand over billions of dollars for the rights to show games on TV. We pay for the players name on the back of the jersey, because if they weren't good, very few would watch, if any. Sure, we all have love for whatever university we attended or that we grew up supporting. With that said, when push comes to shove, we wouldn't be spending our hard earned money if the team was full of average no-body's, aka regular students. No we are paying for ATHLETES, athletes that just happen to also be students. So it's time for the NCAA to give up this feeble notion and give the athletes that pay for their school what they deserve, proper financial compensation.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0
I don't understand why NCAA football simply cannot have all the teams, leagues, bowls, etc and simply have players that are randomly generated.

Then allow guys from this forum or anyone that would like to edit the names, attributes, height and weight, etc. if they have an EA Share then no one will be making any money off players and we can get back to the best part... Fun and enjoyment of college football.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:13 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyflame21
I don't understand why NCAA football simply cannot have all the teams, leagues, bowls, etc and simply have players that are randomly generated.

Then allow guys from this forum or anyone that would like to edit the names, attributes, height and weight, etc. if they have an EA Share then no one will be making any money off players and we can get back to the best part... Fun and enjoyment of college football.
This is perfectly legal and had EA went this route from the beginning, we would possibly not be here. What is stopping EA from making a game right now is the fact that the NCAA has a policy in place that restricts the production of anymore collegiate sports video games I believe and the article here also states that.

If the policy can be removed, EA or anyone else that is willing can get the licenses from the CLC and the schools themselves and get everything they want into the game and then run generic rosters that can be edited and shared.

― Plato
Old 10-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #21
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
This is perfectly legal and had EA went this route from the beginning, we would possibly not be here. What is stopping EA from making a game right now is the fact that the NCAA has a policy in place that restricts the production of anymore collegiate sports video games I believe and the article here also states that.

If the policy can be removed, EA or anyone else that is willing can get the licenses from the CLC and the schools themselves and get everything they want into the game and then run generic rosters that can be edited and shared.
I think that's just for the NCAA itself not licensing. The schools and universities are free to do whatever they like. So if EA or 2K could get all schools onboard (probably impossible at this point) then it could be feasible. It just wouldn't have the NCAA seal, name or logo anywhere. It would probably be a legal nightmare to put together and wrangle up all the schools.

I don't think the universities paying the players is the right move. Sure, the Alabama's and Ohio State's of the world could afford it, but most schools wouldn't be able to. Also, the universities and NCAA are providing them the stage to showcase their talent ( of which about 1% go pro) and offer an education. The players should be able to make money off their likeness, though. If Pepsi want's to pay Cardale Jones 10K for a commercial, let him! If someone wants to pay Todd Gurley 4 grand for some autographs, let him! At the same time, the NCAA gets to use their likeness in videogames and on TV while they are enrolled. The NCAA is clearly making money off the players just spread the wealth and stop hoarding it. There's enough for everyone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2015, 08:35 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

We do NOT pay for the name in the back of the jersey in these games because no NCAA game has ever shipped with rosters with names. In fact, the vast majority of the public never even knew you could get named rosters for NCAA.

Having worked with Fairdale for years I can say these statements with utter certainty.

I think EA and the NCAA are wrong on this, that the public would be just fine with NCAA games with rosters that are not indicative of real life. Most people just want to play a college football game with their team and for those who do desire the full experience just include an editor and allow roster share.

I mean seriously I watch college football each year to see Ohio State not Braxton Miller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 10-01-2015, 09:25 AM   #23
Rookie

Kodos's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg

I mean seriously I watch college football each year to see Ohio State not Braxton Miller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As an aside here: Go Hoosiers this weekend!
Old 10-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
As an aside here: Go Hoosiers this weekend!
I'm sure OSU will make it interesting being as they are so odd this year vs last. I've been betting on them to NOT cover the spread and I've made a good bit of money this year, LOL.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »