Home

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 Review (PS4/XB1)

This is a discussion on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 Review (PS4/XB1) within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 Review (PS4/XB1)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 looks, runs, and plays like a pre-alpha build of a game that might have been ready to release sometime in the spring or summer of 2016. Its framerate is choppier than most extreme sports titles on the PlayStation 2. Its 20-person multiplayer sessions contain more ghosting and warping than an original Pac-Man cabinet. The entire package is missing many essential options and features from the first six Tony Hawk games that rightfully belong in any modern revival.

Even if future patches miraculously resolve THPS 5's numerous mechanical and technical malfunctions, the game still won't be worth buying, due to unpatchable problems like blasé skate parks, unbalanced level designs, repetitive single-player missions, an inefficient matchmaking system, and a lack of compelling multiplayer modes.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 would be a disgraceful piece of software to ship on the PlayStation 4's launch day, much less coming 22 months into the system's life. I did not think I'd ever play a game on this console that was worse than NBA Live 14, but Activision and developer Robomodo have somehow managed to score lower than EA Tiburon's own disastrous comeback attempt.

Read More - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 Review (PS4/XB1)
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
This game looked bad after I saw the launch trailer few months back. It's sad that the original tony hawk on n64/ps is better (and still holds up nicely) then the last 4 Toney hawk games 15 some years later. Hey activision it's been sooo long since you made a good Tony hawk game you literally could just repackage tony hawk 2, add online support and it would sell great for you guys. no ones asking for you guys to recreat the wheel... However after all these bad games no ones probably asking for a tony hawk game either.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 Review (PS4/XB1)

This review jives closely with a review I read on Reddit about this game written by a self-proclaimed THPS veteran / fanatic (I'm quoting the high-level bullet points from that here for brevity, but really anyone should also read that review to supplement this one):

Quote:
Every review of THPS5 has focused on a few things: Bugs, Glitches, Graphics. Those aren't the real problems.

1. The levels are lazy, uncreative, small, and flat out boring.
2. Online (and offline) multiplayer is a joke.
3. The worst part of this game is Robomodo's ignorance when it comes to THPS gameplay mechanics.
It's a shame that this is where the Tony Hawk series is in 2015. The THPS franchise was a seminal classic on the PSX and PS2, and this IP deserves so much better than these present-day Robomodo iterations.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
Rookie

When I first saw this game during E3 this summer I thought it was an android game, so I'm not surprised it is getting such terrible reviews.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
Rookie

3mir's Arena

epic fail LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
Rookie

Score was to generous for the game, they should really give money back for who bought it, the game is a complete mess. Thank God i didn´t buy it and decided to wait for reviews and to watch some streams online. The game is a total lack of respect for people that loved the series in the past...
Old 10-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
Rookie

Just so you know, The Berrics is a real life skatepark owned by Eric Koston. It definitely shouldn't have even been included in THPS 5 since the game's arcade style is completely different than the style of the skatepark.

I had really high hopes for this game and I hope that EA brings the Skate series back.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
Pro

budsticky's Arena

OVR: 13
Too bad. I never skated, but used to have a great time with the old TH games, and some of the Skate series. Would love to see a worthy successor for next gen..this clearly isn't it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »