Home

EA Sports UFC 2 Cover Revealed, Featuring Conor McGregor & Ronda Rousey

This is a discussion on EA Sports UFC 2 Cover Revealed, Featuring Conor McGregor & Ronda Rousey within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #17
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: EA Sports UFC 2 Cover Revealed, Featuring Conor McGregor & Ronda Rousey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
Because everyone proclaiming you one of the greatest fighters of all time after just 12 fights, many of those against weaker opponents doesn't qualify you as overrated. Because getting knocked out by the first real competition you faced doesn't qualify you as overrated....

Nobody credible ever called her one of the greatest fighters of all time. People have called her one of the greatest women fighters of all time or even the greatest women fighter ever. Those statements are absolutely legitimate given what she's done.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Nobody credible ever called her one of the greatest fighters of all time. People have called her one of the greatest women fighters of all time or even the greatest women fighter ever. Those statements are absolutely legitimate given what she's done.
I saw 'most dominant fighter of all time' thrown around by a lot of people, and it was arguable that she was up until Holm happened. Others can argue it's because he weight class was badly underdeveloped but she can only fight the other people that are out there.

Personally I think Mighty Mouse is the most dominant but it's definitely arguable among a few people, and Rousey is one of them.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:25 PM   #19
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Credible or not plenty of people were still throwing that term out and that's what makes someone overrated and overhyped. For the past year anytime I saw anything Rousey related the following terms were attached to it: "greatest of all time", "most dominant fighter" "greatest in history" etc. Although I would say Kevin Iole of Yahoo is one of the better and more credible MMA writers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/it-s-ti...174449507.html
Old 12-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #20
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Credible or not plenty of people were still throwing that term out and that's what makes someone overrated and overhyped. For the past year anytime I saw anything Rousey related the following terms were attached to it: "greatest of all time", "most dominant fighter" "greatest in history" etc. Although I would say Kevin Iole of Yahoo is one of the better and more credible MMA writers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/it-s-ti...174449507.html
Yeah, I only care about credible opinions on MMA. There are plenty of *******s on Twitter, Reddit and comments sections that have crazy opinions.

Regarding Iole, reading the article he makes a good point. Before the Holm fight, she was the most dominant fighter in the UFC. She beat her last 3 opponents in under a minute and was dominating her division. No one else was doing that.

Also even after the Holm fight, she is still the greatest womens MMA fighter of all time. I dont get why certain people get so worked up about the greatest womens fighter in the world being considered ONE of the best fighters in the world. No one is saying she would beat Werdum or Jones or Dos Anjos. Just that she was a dominant champion.

Mighty Mouse is the #1 P4P fighter in the world. Why? Because he's dominant. I dont see anyone objecting to calling him one of the greatest fighters of all time. Whats with the double standard?
Old 12-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Yeah, I only care about credible opinions on MMA. There are plenty of *******s on Twitter, Reddit and comments sections that have crazy opinions.

Regarding Iole, reading the article he makes a good point. Before the Holm fight, she was the most dominant fighter in the UFC. She beat her last 3 opponents in under a minute and was dominating her division. No one else was doing that.

Also even after the Holm fight, she is still the greatest womens MMA fighter of all time. I dont get why certain people get so worked up about the greatest womens fighter in the world being considered ONE of the best fighters in the world. No one is saying she would beat Werdum or Jones or Dos Anjos. Just that she was a dominant champion.

Mighty Mouse is the #1 P4P fighter in the world. Why? Because he's dominant. I dont see anyone objecting to calling him one of the greatest fighters of all time. Whats with the double standard?
And the same thing has been said about Jon Jones before his incident. And has probably been said about most champions at some point during their title reign, for the lack of a better term.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #22
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Whats with the double standard?
Ehh, I think we know why.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #23
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:

Connor has done this a lot longer. He has 22 fights under his belt, there is a much greater body of work and he has beaten some of the top competition in his weight class. Rousey had 12. No one was calling Connor the greatest of all time when he was 14-2 after beating Max Halloway in his second UFC fight. That praise didn't come until he took down 3 of the best fighters in his weight class and even still it's not a universal praise like it has been with Rousey. Rousey is a great fighter but it is way to early in her career to call her greatest of all time. When she reaches 20+ fights like Connor has then we can talk about it.

Someone mentioned Jon Jones it's the same with him, no one was calling him the greatest of all time until he actually earned it by beating some of the best competition in the world. If Rousey beats Holm, Cyborg, a rematch with Tate then we can start that conversation. This isn't just because she is a "woman" like many are implying here. Cyborg is one of my favorite fighters regardless of gender. This about the body of work. Just like no one is calling Luke Rockhold or TJ Dillashaw greatest of all time, they both have a long way to go to earn it.

Last edited by Sheba2011; 12-21-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:05 AM   #24
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Connor has done this a lot longer. He has 22 fights under his belt, there is a much greater body of work and he has beaten some of the top competition in his weight class. Rousey had 12. No one was calling Connor the greatest of all time when he was 14-2 after beating Max Halloway in his second UFC fight. That praise didn't come until he took down 3 of the best fighters in his weight class and even still it's not a universal praise like it has been with Rousey. Rousey is a great fighter but it is way to early in her career to call her greatest of all time. When she reaches 20+ fights like Connor has then we can talk about it.
I love Conor McGregor. He's probably my favorite fighter right now.

But what you just wrote is BS.

Conor has 22 fights but he only has 7 at the top level of the sport. Ronda has 10 (starting in Strikeforce against Julia Budd) if you combine Strikeforce and UFC fights.

She absolutely dominated all 9 of those 10 fights.
Only 2 of those fighters made it out of the first round.
7 of them didnt make it past 2 minutes.

I think its a joke argument to say she cant be considered one of the greatest because she didnt fight 10 or more times in some lower level.

Conor has beat 3 guys currently in his division's top 15 (5 if you count Siver and Porier who were ranked at the time they fought him).

Ronda has beat 7 (if you count Alexis Davis who was dropped from the rankings because of maternity leave).

Look, if you dont like Rousey because you think she is overexposed....cool. But dont act like the numbers back you up because they dont.

What kills me is that with the exception of Joseph Benevidez, I'd argue that Flyweight is just as shallow as Women's Bantamweight but no one knocks Mighty Mouse and his dominance streak. Why? Because you can only fight the people they put in front of you. Mighty Mouse is a dominant fighter. Rousey was before Holm.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »