Home

NCAA Punts on Athlete Likeness Monetization, College Games Still Not Viable

This is a discussion on NCAA Punts on Athlete Likeness Monetization, College Games Still Not Viable within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NCAA Punts on Athlete Likeness Monetization, College Games Still Not Viable

During the NCAA general convention, the issue of athlete's being able to monetize their likenesses -- even for non athletic ventures, was not voted on despite the Pac-12 Proposing the measure.

In effect, the NCAA tabled the measure and may pick it back up next January when the general convention meets again -- but there was no sign of real movement for the measure at this convention.

In fact, there wasn't much movement on any real issues of substance at the convention. It does call into question what the point was of having so much new authority given to Power Five conferences with no real movement in year two on issues that truly do matter to both student athletes, fans, and schools.

On the gaming side, this means that any hope of a college sports video game is put off another year as well. As we've written about in the past, to get a college sports video game in the future will almost certainly mean athletes will be able to monetize their likenesses and licensing for players will occur. No gaming company will risk anything short of a 100% guarantee of no legal liability when it comes to using college teams and marks in games at this point -- nor will schools.

It doesn't help things that EA had a poorly timed (and rather cruel) PR stunt last week, which appeared to signal there were signs of life with the franchise. However, it does seem that thanks to a lack of action from the NCAA -- the franchise appears more dead than ever. Given the time it'd take to get a game to market (likely at least 18-24 months from scratch), you are talking about a long wait for a new college football game indeed.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
this horrible news...mostly expected it but damn...It crazy how video games have come to this point.....I guess too much money was made.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: NCAA Punts on Athlete Likeness Monetization, College Games Still Not Viable

Hey Blzer, if you're reading this I think we need that Squidward gif one more time....

Old 01-15-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: NCAA Punts on Athlete Likeness Monetization, College Games Still Not Viable

well...crap.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:07 PM   #5
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
I'm curious what the possibility would be of EA or another developer getting license for conferences and specific teams, similar to what 2k did for my player this year, and using players from the previous college season to develop a game. So, for example, NCAA 17 would have rosters consisting of players from this year's NFL draft. That way EA would already have licenses for any player going to the NFL and could full in the spots of the missing players (either with generic players or by making contracts with the non-NFL players). Maybe even make a NCAA legacy mode consisting of previous college greats and nfl stars. And of course add a draft class type feature where users are able to create upcoming high school prospects.

I don't know much about the legality of the situation but this would seemingly prevent EA from replicating players likeness, they are instead giving users the tools to replicate players if they so choose.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
Rookie

BLACKjersey53's Arena

OVR: 4
That's cool...I didn't want to have a great Friday anyway.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #7
Rookie

I would think they are working on it already, so when they get approval they can just plug in names and make money.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
Rookie

I carry the same thought process when it comes to a potential NFL 2K game, why not just start making it and when the opportunity arises they can release it with a short wait until release

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »