Home

MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale, Drafts Have Been Redone

I love the player morale and characteristics that affect their sign-ability and performance, I think it's a huge addition. This helps form more of a team rather than just collecting random guys together.

I would like it to pickup some of the NHL system where certain players are good clubhouse guys, etc.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #10
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I disagree.

I think it adds a dynamic in the game that is true to real life. Chemistry is a part of the game and not everybody is happy with being a platoon guy or waiting in the minors, not to mention that playing for a winner or a great coach can swing a guy. I just like the fact that it's not just about money in signing a guy as there's more variables at play. It makes franchise and the GM mode much more entertaining.

The key is that it's implemented correctly; I'm hoping that there is a slider (similar to NBA 2K) where we can either amplify or tone down the effects player morale...I'm sure SCEA has thought of that and implemented it.

...again though, just me and my $.02.

The issue is for those who do not want to do the micromanaging of their franchises. I tend to ignore training since I'm there mostly to make a fantasy team and play baseball games in my franchise. If it can be turned off great, if not we'll I think many people might find it tedious to do seemingly arbitrary things like have players of similar national origins on their team. That hurts people who want to make a diverse team with whoever they want. Now you ha e to think "Do I really want that guy from Cuba or the guy from Venezuela instead since I already have 2 Venezuelan players already." Adds a layer of depth that I don't think I need and hope I can disable it or at least time it down.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:43 PM   #11
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20

Now only if they can incorporate something similar do what is being offered in OOTP 17 in franchise mode.

Quote:
The all-new MLBPA license lets players come alive
For the first time ever, Out of the Park features new FaceGen images! With player aging, real-time emotion, and automatic uniform adjustment based on trades and free agency for most major leaguers, you’re more in touch with your club than ever. One glance tells all!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #12
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj2281
I love the player morale and characteristics that affect their sign-ability and performance, I think it's a huge addition. This helps form more of a team rather than just collecting random guys together.

I would like it to pickup some of the NHL system where certain players are good clubhouse guys, etc.
I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I agree that morale and personality for players is a good thing. I like making FA signings a bit more context-dependent, too. But, having their attributes/tools depend on their "morale" reeks of arcade-y-ness. I don't like that aspect. It's just not a realistic approach. Unhappy players can perform just fine and happy players can be terrible. There must be some other way to make consequences/incentives for player morale.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #13
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Yeah, I see where you're coming from WTNY. But don't forget this is SCEA.

They ensure to cater to all audiences and have multiple options for users to play the have they game play the way they desires (within "sim" reason). I'm certain that there will be a franchise slider to completely turn off this effect or make it where your star player is a prima donna.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:02 PM   #14
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
The issue is for those who do not want to do the micromanaging of their franchises. I tend to ignore training since I'm there mostly to make a fantasy team and play baseball games in my franchise. If it can be turned off great, if not we'll I think many people might find it tedious to do seemingly arbitrary things like have players of similar national origins on their team. That hurts people who want to make a diverse team with whoever they want. Now you ha e to think "Do I really want that guy from Cuba or the guy from Venezuela instead since I already have 2 Venezuelan players already." Adds a layer of depth that I don't think I need and hope I can disable it or at least time it down.
See, I'm the polar opposite. I absolutely LOVE the day to day details, and horribly miss all of the things that have been ripped out of the game the last few years. This adds another cool layer of depth and more challenge. The only thing I'm worried about would be players who are during their first three years of team control being upset with their pay.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:25 PM   #15
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

A few things I noticed in the stream..

1. They've added more GM goals into franchise mode. Instead of just a 3-year and a 1-year goal, they have some in season things to accomplish like winning streaks, sweeping series etc...

2. Scouting, to my eye, looks very much the same. They have added the 20-80 system as well as spray charts, hot zones, and pitch repertoires (you can see these things before drafting which is nice for stocking a farm system with guys who throw sliders or curves etc..). I also noticed the velocity given as a range, so I'm not sure if min/max velocities are the new thing with pitch repertoires.

3. Among the morale system, there is a "region" attribute where some guys from certain countries will be more likely to sign if other players of that nationality are on the team. Interesting.

4. The WAR for Joe Mauer on his player card is a bit low compared to his FG WAR in real life. On the other hand, we saw that David Ortiz's in-game WAR was a bit high. From only these data points, it appears that The Show's WAR is weighting defense/position a bit less in their calculation.

5. On Mauer's player card, the only new stats appeared to be BB%, K%, and WAR. Some of the older stats may have been removed (HEQ-Q for example). Didn't see wOBA, wRC+, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #16
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

OVR: 0

Truer words have never been spoken... "Do not use guess pitch"

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »