Home

R.B.I. Baseball 16 Review (Xbox One)

This is a discussion on R.B.I. Baseball 16 Review (Xbox One) within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
R.B.I. Baseball 16 Review (Xbox One)

If R.B.I. Baseball were a Major League batter, it would've just swung and missed on its third consecutive strike. Developer MLB Advanced Media has now had three opportunities to put out an arcade-style baseball game on the Xbox One that's worth a $20 download, but even working with successful The Golf Club creators HB Studios for two straight seasons has not helped to make this franchise's comeback attempt a modern hit.

Many basic, expected features remain missing from R.B.I. Baseball 16, such as customizable controls, roster editing, free agency, trades, drafts, player progression and retirement. Most of those features have existed in baseball games as far back as the Super Nintendo, or at least, as early as the Nintendo 64.

Read More - R.B.I. Baseball 16 Review (Xbox One)
Platform: PC / Android / iOS / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Could have been a great game if they let you edit more. Especially players names, numbers and so on. Create a team and so on. That is what gamers want. Besides that the game play is simple and great.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
Rookie

Diehardfan's Arena

OVR: 4
Good Lord....this game is antiquated junk. The 27 year old NES Baseball Stars was a better game.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
Rookie

KennyJ1976's Arena

I wonder if that guy from MLBAM will comment on this review? Man this game is trash. 3 years and they still can't get it right.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:53 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan
Good Lord....this game is antiquated junk. The 27 year old NES Baseball Stars was a better game.
Man, I loved that game. If all they did was port that thing over for $20 I'd probably pay it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: R.B.I. Baseball 16 Review (Xbox One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStapley
Man, I loved that game. If all they did was port that thing over for $20 I'd probably pay it.
The arcade versions of Baseball Stars and Baseball Stars 2 are up for download on the PlayStation Network, but those are very different games from the NES versions.

Super Mega Baseball is a pretty good modern take on Baseball Stars' player progression concept. Definitely check that game out on Xbox One/PS4/PC if you haven't already.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
MLB Games Developer

MLBGames's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyJ1976
I wonder if that guy from MLBAM will comment on this review?
We're here. And we are aware that many people would like deep franchise features. As stated on the other thread, we felt gameplay still warranted the bulk of our attention for this iteration. And we feel we delivered on that front, with much improved gameplay in 16 and a better underlying system to build on for the future.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #8
Rookie

I actually reviewed '15 for another site and game it an 8/10 I think. I'm fully aware I'm in the minority but I really enjoyed the game. It has quite a few bugs and glitches but the gameplay itself was solid and a lot of fun.

So far I think this year's is about the same but I think there seems to be a lot less offense this year, which I'm not a big fan of.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »