Home

Rams and Now Eagles With Big Trades Up, Would You Make the Deal?

This is a discussion on Rams and Now Eagles With Big Trades Up, Would You Make the Deal? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Rams and Now Eagles With Big Trades Up, Would You Make the Deal?

This one didn't work out so well for Philly.

Let's face it, when it comes to big draft trades -- both Philadelphia and Los Angeles (I can say that now right?) both made historically huge trade deals.

And really, when you get down to it, both Cleveland and Tennessee did too.

But would you have taken the deal? ESPN's Bill Barnwall writes that he is a bit skeptical on the part of the Eagles:

Quote:
"This is an extensive haul for the Browns, roughly equivalent to what the Titans received for the first overall selection after accounting for the difference in value between the first and second picks. Philadelphia gets the a 2017 fourth-round pick back with the second overall pick this year, and sends Cleveland the eighth, 77th and 100th picks in this year's draft, plus a 2017 first-round pick and a 2018 second-rounder.

If we value those selections as the middle pick in each round, which seems fair given that the Eagles don't seem to be a particularly dominant or particularly troubled franchise, Cleveland's picked up an enormous return for its pick."

Let's face it, Cleveland (and Tennessee) have a foundation of draft picks to build and trade from which will yield lots of positional upgrades for the next several years. That's a good foundation for winning a championship. On the other hand, both Philadelphia and Los Angeles seem to be betting a lot on a QB of the future.

I guess long term we may find out which is more important.

Such a huge pair of moves technically aren't possible in Madden -- something I'd like to think will be made possible given the headline grabbing nature of both deals made this offseason (re: please do this EA!) -- but if presented with such a move, would you take it if you were Cleveland or Tennessee?

What about the other way around, would you give up so many picks to get one?
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #2
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Rams and Now Eagles With Big Trades Up, Would You Make the Deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

This one didn't work out so well for Philly.

Let's face it, when it comes to big draft trades -- both Philadelphia and Los Angeles (I can say that now right?) both made historically huge trade deals.

And really, when you get down to it, both Cleveland and Tennessee did too.

But would you have taken the deal? ESPN's Bill Barnwall writes that he is a bit skeptical on the part of the Eagles:

Let's face it, Cleveland (and Tennessee) have a foundation of draft picks to build and trade from which will yield lots of positional upgrades for the next several years. That's a good foundation for winning a championship. On the other hand, both Philadelphia and Los Angeles seem to be betting a lot on a QB of the future.

I guess long term we may find out which is more important.

Such a huge pair of moves technically aren't possible in Madden -- something I'd like to think will be made possible given the headline grabbing nature of both deals made this offseason (re: please do this EA!) -- but if presented with such a move, would you take it if you were Cleveland or Tennessee?

What about the other way around, would you give up so many picks to get one?

Well Cleveland's been here before and done it twice and lost out on both trades.

So I'm shocked they would try it a 3rd time hopefully this time it pays off.

I would only do it if I had pieces in place and needed That player to put me over the top.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #3
Pro

poulka's Arena

OVR: 8
Do the research these deals hardly pay off. Now Cleveland got more picks a smart move, but giving the house for number by Rams very dumb. I remember many of these deals in the past and none developed a champion.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #4
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

I'd need some good tools to be able to do this, beyond the technical capability. I'd need the game to give me an idea of what teams are planning on taking / their needs, for starters. Then would need to be able to know if marquee positions are strong one year vs another (since that has an affect on filling the need in future years rather than this one). Some pundits say the QB selections for the next few years are underwhelming at best (I wouldn't know, don't watch CFB) but that data would be useful in-game to guide a decision.

As it stands right now, you have to kinda scout every team, take notes, etc to get an idea if you need to trade up 2 spots to get ahead of a team about to take a player you might covet. Simply giving us a projected pick or position (preferably both, and perhaps multiple possibilities indicating uncertainty or indicate it's a consensus a player will go to a certain team.

Just need the tools and data.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:33 AM   #5
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

I would never give up all those picks for one player...But I would accept those picks to trade out of a #1 or #2 spot...Dallas Cowboys proved that more picks can lead to a Dynasty, with the Herschel Walker trade...Minnesota and Saints (Ricky Williams) showed that giving away a lot of picks for 1 player will most likely lead to a bust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2016, 07:34 AM   #6
Rookie

BB_Dynasty's Arena

These deals rarely work out, but I'm in the minority here. I respect the Eagles and Rams for doing everything they can to secure the most important position in football: quarterback.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #7
Rookie

I'm with the don't trade up crowd. Especially when it involves crippling current, and future draft classes. Browns have been trying to hit on a QB for what seems like forever now, including free agency, and have yet to be successful. While one can make the argument that it is the surrounding talent that has been dooming these players, and they are just thrown into the inferno that is Cleveland, at some point a different approach must be used. This is why I love the trade down, but hate the trade up. Build a strong D, acquire some skill positions on O, and maybe the QB position will figure itself out.

Look at the 2011 Round 1 QBs, Newton (blatant exception), Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder. Beside from #1 overall, that was a poor QB class, and Andy Dalton (the obvious second best QB today from this class) was drafted in the second round. There are many other drafts that show the same, sure you may hit on an Andrew Luck or a Ryan Tannehill (an average starter), but you may get EJ Manuel or Brandon Weeden, and that sets the franchise back for miles. High 1st round QB picks are a crap shoot, you win big or lose big. You seem to be just as likely hitting on a QB anywhere else in the 1st and 2nd rounds before the late round prayers go out.

You have to respect the Eagles showing they want somebody (has to be a QB right?) bad enough to trade up to #2 for them, but I would have only done this if I were the Browns with such a talent poor roster. This is a weak QB class compared to other years, and maybe the Browns will even grab P. Lynch at #8, but I wouldn't give up two years worth of high draft talent for an unknown quantity.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Well , i would not have done it personally. If one looks back at the last 10 drafts , there has been at least 18 Qbs that were picked in the first round that were nothing but busts(Like Vince Young, Christian Ponder, etc).While only a couple have actually turned into good QBs - Cam (Cry baby) Newton , Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford( some sundays). So to begin with , the odds are against it in large numbers.

Also as an Eagles fan im just going to look at their moves.

To really tally up what all they gave up lets look back. They gave up McCoy and a 4th round pick to get Kiko last year. Then they turn around this year and give Maxwell ,Kiko and the 13th overall pick , just to move up to 8th overall. Then give up the 8th overall, 3rd and 4th round picks this year, next years 1st ,and 2018 2nd round picks. All to go get a QB, that is going to get paid high, and sit on the bench??? Hmmm. We will now have a ton of our cap tied up into 3 Qbs, two of which will be sitting on the bench.

Meanwhile this team has a TON of needs . While agree Bradford isnt a good QB, we also need oline, hb, wrs, lbs, cbs, safties. But now , counting the trade to get Kiko originally we are out 6 picks, which would be 6 more players over the next couple of seasons. We arent really picking up guys in FA so draft is about our only way to improve. So we give up potentially 6 new players plus two we traded away to move up 5 spots , all for 1 player, who no offense doesnt get me hyped up as a QB. Their stats are not that impressive, and surely not impressive enough to give all that up for them. We have 1 good wr, who is this QB going to throw to? Who is going to protect him? So many holes to fill. To me, its kinda dumb to give up all that potential just for 1 guy, sitting the bench or not. But even worse if he sits the bench, you give all that up, to get someone with second overall pick, he better be starter material, cause your paying him alot more than numerous others on your team.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »