Home

Discuss: General MLB Franchise Roster Management Tips

This is a discussion on Discuss: General MLB Franchise Roster Management Tips within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2016, 11:25 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Discuss: General MLB Franchise Roster Management Tips

One big tip is really thinking about the contracts you give out to Free Agents. Typically I never sign a contract with a player past his 33 year old season, because I don't want to see a big drop off. So if I sign a player at age 29, I'd probably offer 4 years plus a mutual/club option. Same with extensions too.

Also a big thing is during the offseason, you get to the contract screen, and for the most part, there is a huge budget pool available for you to spend. Some people may see that and say, 'Hey, I can sign 2-3 big contracts', and not worry about the consequences. The problem with that is once your young, star players get into Arbitration and nearing Free Agency, you won't have enough money to retain them. Especially if you're a team like the Astros, Cubs or Mets. Trying to retain the likes of Syndergaard, Degrom, Harvey, or Russell, Bryant, Soler, will be very hard if you have a ton of money locked up in aging veterans.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:41 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4
For me it's pretty simple. Back up catcher a must, one infielder and one outfielder, and then a player with best hitting attributes. If possible I like to have one player that is a complete stud against lefties. That way I give him playing time when I get that lefty starter once in a while. Overall, I like to have a guy or two with good speed, one or two with good/great power, a guy with a very high "clutch" attribute for those game winning moments, one good bunter, and everyone else high contact. I do well with this approach because I don't always need to have the best overall high priced player. Player search is my best friend as I find diamonds in the ruff with attributes that are important to my team. PS, Craig Gentry is a stud and can be traded for pennies. His speed and bunting are out of this world and his contact is no garbage either. I traded a minor league relief pitcher for him to get the speed/bunt guy on my roster and he is now my regular started.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
Rookie

First and foremost try to have no more than 75 active players at one time since A is worthless. A good way to do this is to get rid of anyone 30 and older and/or D potential. Usually you can trade 3 players for a low rated B player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2016, 09:27 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 8

I always have a fourth outfielder, usually one with a lot of speed that can pinch run. I try to get a utility infielder that can play multiple positions and I usually try to find one that's a switch hitter, a backup catcher, and a thumper - usually a triple A player who doesnt hit for much average but has lots of pop. Strictly for pinch hitting.

I generally like to only carry 12 pitchers... only one setup man, one long man.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #13
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

I know this sounds ridiculous but I generally let the CPU decide my line up, 40 man, call ups, etc. The reason why I do this is so that I don't have an unfair advantage over the CPU controlled teams and so that I'm using the same system as all the CPU controlled teams. The only thing I handle are trades at the start of the free agency period.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #14
Rookie

Threeebs's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I agree. Stolen bases are glitched this year - perhaps will be fixed in the patch - but I normally keep a guy who can steal a base on the bench. I look for guys who might not have a great overall and thus available in a trade but hit hard vs either rhp or lhp and then platoon them. The most important is hitters who do well against rhp since about 70% of MLB at bats are vs rhp. I also try to give my bench guys at least one start per week.
Stolen base glitch huh? I've yet to read about this. What are the details on that one tessl?
Old 04-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #15
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31
Bench - Backup catcher, fourth outfielder, a utility infielder, and a platoon guy (for my weakest hitter with major splits)

Bullpen - One longman, four middle relief, one setup, one closer

Minors - I go prospects-heavy throughout AAA and AA, since there's no real reason to keep young, lower level prospects (in real life) down in A in The Show, I use them in AAA and AA and let them sink or swim.

Once Sept. call-ups hit or right before them so they have a chance to be on the playoff roster, I reward the players who have done well throughout the year with a trip to The Show, IF they have a chance of making it to the big club next year. For instance, with the Yankees, if Aaron Judge has a good year, he'll come up because he has a chance to take over Beltran's job when he leaves. I don't want to bring up anybody I won't likely use the next season just for the sake of rewarding them, as to not burn one of their options.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #16
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

Since, in my opinion, fatigue is a little overdone in The Show, I like to make sure I have every position covered with versatile backups. I like to make sure I don't have single position bench players. I don't want a back up 1st baseman that can only play 1st base, unless I have another back up infielder that can play 2nd, 3rd, and SS. Since defense is penalized so much more for playing out of position this year, I don't have room on my roster for guys who aren't versatile.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »