Home

MLB The Show 16 Bullpen Tuning Details in Patch 1.04

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Bullpen Tuning Details in Patch 1.04 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
Senior AI Programmer - MLB: The Show

OVR: 7
MLB The Show 16 Bullpen Tuning Details in Patch 1.04

The following bullpen details were also added to the latest MLB The Show 16 1.04 patch.
  • CPU managers will let starters pitch slightly longer in various situations. They're less likely to pull starters over individual runners on base.
  • In simulated games, CPU managers will pull starters slightly sooner. I.e. games you sim on the front end and fast forward (both RTTS and manual).
  • When a closer hasn't played in 3 or more days, the CPU may make them play regardless of the save situation to give them work.
  • As a result of the two previous changes, starters will pitch fewer total IP (and IP/G), while relievers and closers will play more games.
  • Other changes to how CPU managers manage relief pitchers in certain situations. These are all tuning changes.
Platform: PS3 / PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Bullpen tuning in patch 1.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
I don't know where else to put this, but these are some changes for the patch. At the time of the patch I had to move on to work on other fixes, so I couldn't clarify these details until now.

* CPU managers will let starters pitch slightly longer in various situations. They're less likely to pull starters over individual runners on base.
* In simulated games, CPU managers will pull starters slightly sooner. I.e. games you sim on the front end and fast forward (both RTTS and manual).
* When a closer hasn't played in 3 or more days, the CPU may make them play regardless of the save situation to give them work.
* As a result of the two previous changes, starters will pitch fewer total IP (and IP/G), while relievers and closers will play more games.
* Other changes to how CPU managers manage relief pitchers in certain situations. These are all tuning changes.
Excellent changes/additions!

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5

Really cool to see more details. Anything else not included in the notes?
Old 05-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
Rookie

Dynasty Legend 99's Arena

OVR: 0

I noticed it in a game today against the Blue Jays.

The Jays brought in a reliever after a strike out to take advantage of the situation.

Never had seen that before.

Well done!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

Thank you for taking the time to post this. These types of details definitely help!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2016, 06:49 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Thanks a lot for posting Brian!

Some early test sims I'm running are still showing some very high complete game numbers on the default stamina/hook sliders. In one sim the Mets had 35, and the Giants had 30. The lowest number of CG's by a team in that season was 6, by several teams. Any idea why this might be happening after the patch? Is it because of the CPU's determination to hang with its starter when he's throwing a shutout/1 run game, regardless of how many pitches he's thrown? It definitely exhibits this tendency in played games as well as simmed.

The good news is that the hook slider + starter stamina combo still has a powerful effect on CG's - lowering stamina to min and raising hook to max made 11 the top CG number (by 3 teams) in another sim and one team, the Rockies, had none all season. It's still a tradeoff for innings pitched (and everything that goes with it, including strikeouts) when you do this, though.

Haven't gotten to try the in-game changes since you posted about this yet.

Last edited by bcruise; 05-04-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:51 PM   #7
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

I just wanted to reiterate thanks for posting the details and looking forward to seeing the bullpen tuning at work during my season.
#44Syracuse
Old 05-04-2016, 07:02 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 5

Would be great to see the new stamina meter shown for in-game bullpens. Weird to only have it at the pregame screen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »