Home

MLB The Show 16 Bullpen Tuning Details in Patch 1.04

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Bullpen Tuning Details in Patch 1.04 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #9
Pro

richmondn96's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Bullpen tuning in patch 1.04

After the patch, I am seeing Starting Pitchers listed as Set Up pitchers in daily roster mode. In one game the Phillies put in Velasquez as a reliever, and for the Red Sox, Clay Buchholz & David Price are listed as Set Up. (PS3)
Old 05-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Hmm...maybe not so fast on that hook/stamina slider combo bombing IP:

Again, starter stamina minimum, hook maximum
Spoiler

That, honestly, is not bad. And I've had a few sims now that look very close to this as far as the leaders go. CG's have been very, very close to looking like real life numbers with this setting. I've probably got a little leeway to even lower hook or raise stamina to get a few more IP, and not throw anything too far out of whack.

Definitely want to hear Tabarnes' thoughts on this since he's the sim guy.

Last edited by bcruise; 05-04-2016 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Got my sims mixed up!
Old 05-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #11
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Hmm...maybe not so fast on that hook/stamina slider combo bombing IP:

Again, starter stamina minimum, hook maximum
Spoiler

That, honestly, is not bad. And I've had a few sims now that look very close to this as far as the leaders go. CG's have been very, very close to looking like real life numbers with this setting. I've probably got a little leeway to even lower hook or raise stamina to get a few more IP, and not throw anything too far out of whack.

Definitely want to hear Tabarnes' thoughts on this since he's the sim guy.
Those numbers look real good. What do the numbers look like for the 3 and 4 starters? RP innings?

I probably won't get a chance to touch the game until tomorrow since I promised the wife a movie tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
I don't know where else to put this, but these are some changes for the patch. At the time of the patch I had to move on to work on other fixes, so I couldn't clarify these details until now.

* CPU managers will let starters pitch slightly longer in various situations. They're less likely to pull starters over individual runners on base.
* In simulated games, CPU managers will pull starters slightly sooner. I.e. games you sim on the front end and fast forward (both RTTS and manual).
* When a closer hasn't played in 3 or more days, the CPU may make them play regardless of the save situation to give them work.
* As a result of the two previous changes, starters will pitch fewer total IP (and IP/G), while relievers and closers will play more games.
* Other changes to how CPU managers manage relief pitchers in certain situations. These are all tuning changes.
Those changes are awesome! Did this patch also address the way the computer manages injuries in the starting rotation? Before the patch, instead of calling up a starter from the minor leagues off their 40 man roster when a member of the rotation landed on the DL, the computer would allow a RP to start a game instead. Several high profile relievers were also ending up in long relief roles as a result of this issue once the injured pitchers returned to the rotation. Thanks for continuing to improve the game with these patches. We all appreciate it!
Old 05-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #13
Rookie

Dynasty Legend 99's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00p1
Would be great to see the new stamina meter shown for in-game bullpens. Weird to only have it at the pregame screen.
Am I the only one who liked the first version of that meter much better?
Old 05-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Nice tweaks! Thank You
Old 05-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
Those numbers look real good. What do the numbers look like for the 3 and 4 starters? RP innings?

I probably won't get a chance to touch the game until tomorrow since I promised the wife a movie tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
This is from a different sim (with somewhat lower IP's overall) and it's from Season mode, not franchise. Shouldn't really affect much with the SP's at the MLB level, though (aside from maybe callups not eating up some of the innings):

RP innings look high compared to real life previous years, with most teams having an 80 IP reliever and some having multiple. The highest were up in the 100's. Makes sense, because the sliders are where they are. That's what I meant by possibly having some leeway with them - if aces were only going 5-6 innings often, then lowering hook a bit might get them to the 7th-8th more often, but not push up CG's at the same time. I need to look at the individual game sims in more detail to get a clearer picture, but at least I have something to work with now!

The tune B Ma mentioned for closers throwing more innings was definitely noticeable as saves leader Hector Rondon had 70 save opps (blew 10) but made 90 appearances. In another sim, 52 saves, 8 blown, 76 total appearances.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #16
All Star

OVR: 20

I think it's great a closer would have to get some work but is there a penalty if a reliever goes a long time without pitching?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »