Home

Undrafted Free Agents Change the Game, But Not As Much in Madden

This is a discussion on Undrafted Free Agents Change the Game, But Not As Much in Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Undrafted Free Agents Change the Game, But Not As Much in Madden

Quick, name the best undrafted free agent you've ever signed in Madden who turned out to be a superstar with a greater than 90ovr rating.

While most all undrafted players who sign contracts will never amount to more than a transient practice squad member, sometimes franchises hit pay-dirt on undrafted free agents.

Take these names: John Randle, Kurt Warner, Warren Moon, Wes Welker, Tony Romo.

This year's undrafted free agent class includes names like Trevone Boykin, Jack Allen, Devon Cajuste, Darius Latham, Jeremy Cash, and Brian Poole.

Somewhere, one of these undrafted players (or another not listed) will make a big impact on the league. And yet, it feels as if this crucial aspect of roster building just has never really been represented well in Madden NFL.

I can remember a couple of times I found some real value in this period -- but it feels like its never been represented as well as it could in the Madden NFL series.

As a former GM puts it, "The John Randle time" is a crucial time for franchises to choose paths which may alter a team's course for years:

Quote:
"We’re talking about players like quarterbacks Trevone Boykin and Jake Coker in Seattle and Arizona, respectively; linebacker Jeremy Cash in Carolina and Gronk's little brother, fullback Glenn Gronkowski, in Buffalo.

Each NFL team has filled out its roster by signing approximately 25 of these undrafted free agents to minimum-salary deals with modest signing bonuses, mostly in the $5,000-to-$10,000 range. These players are true underdogs who must compete with veterans in minicamps and OTAs as they prepare for training camp and battles for roster spots."

So what about you? Do you have any stories of picking up undrafted free agents who turned out to be superstars? What do you think Madden could do to represent 'John Randle Time' better for franchises?

Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Undrafted Free Agents Change the Game, But Not As Much in Madden

Quote:
Each NFL team has filled out its roster by signing approximately 25 of these undrafted free agents to minimum-salary deals with modest signing bonuses, mostly in the $5,000-to-$10,000 range. These players are true underdogs who must compete with veterans in minicamps and OTAs as they prepare for training camp and battles for roster spots.
This is where the "But Not As Much in Madden" comes from, specifically the bold. And really it should be "But Not At All in Madden." A Madden draft class is only around 295 players, take away the 224 picks made and that leaves you with 71 guys. 71! That's a little over two per team versus 25. That paired with the fact that there is no minicamps/OTA's properly represented in the game to even get a clue on any of those players and it's not even a factor in Madden. Rosters being limited to 75 guys as well as improperly implemented cut days also hinders any chances of those players being a factor.

I can't remember which Madden it was (I think 12) that had the hidden rookie ratings throughout preseason but that was one of my favorite experiences. I remember one year I had drafted a corner in the 5th or 6th round and didn't know much about him but I also had another one that was an UDFA and it was basically a battle between which would make the bottom of my roster and CB depth chart but the UDFA had two pick sixes in back-to-back games and that ended up being the sole reason I kept him on. After the fact I checked ratings and found out the guy I kept was actually significantly worse ratings wise than the guy I drafted but he didn't do anything in preseason and essentially got beat out.

I really hope that they've attacked the personnel side of things this year in franchise because that's IMO what keeps the game feeling fresh and exciting for an extended period of time. Gameplay obviously matters but in terms of longevity it's going to be franchise that keeps me coming back and wanting to play.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9
I gotta think the late round picks and UDFAs in all sports games are lacking. Like in 2K the second round is worthless. You're never going to get that potential or already developed contributor. In madden I've seen a few instances where Undrafted rookies have on ratings but it's usually a fullback or kicker.

I don't expect lots of gems coming out of later rounds o UDFAs but there should be a couple here and there to contribute
Old 05-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10
Guys not playing up to their expected potential is not represented well either and that is way more important to me than some undrafted guy in madden becoming a superstar. It is just way to easy to form a great team in Madden's franchise mode. Currently it is way to easy to resign your star players and keep them under the salary cap. Also, a lot of times younger players that have good ability but not a high awareness still often play like superstars. Ratings need stretched, there needs to be more players that just don't play great and never will, and awareness needs to have a bigger impact or be altered. Then after that lets throw in some undrafted guys that end up becoming great.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
Rookie

wingfoot008's Arena

OVR: 1
NCAA football might have been the best at this. I think in its final year (RIP) they would have guys 3 stars players surprise you and be rated better than 4 or 5 star recruits once more homework and recruiting was done on the player.

Something along these lines can be done in Madden too. It would have to be fairly random and not happen very often, but since it does happen in the NFL it should happen in Madden. "If It's In The Game..." right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
Lurking

kongemeier's Arena

OVR: 8

Another thing NFL Head Coach had that Madden doesn't (yet)!

I had several players coming in as undrafted players who ended up being regular starters and even super stars in my fictional NFL.

It's my biggest wish for Madden that they get closer to the franchise experience we had with NFL Head Coach.
#SimWorldSports #SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 05-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
MVP

MajorSupreme's Arena

OVR: 0

The closest thing I've had to a real good UDFA was the back up QB I signed for Jimmy Garoppolo named Jackson Clay out of Missouri. He capped at like a 68 ovr, about confidence modified and won like 5 games for me when Garoppolo was hurt and I didn't want to play with Tom Savage. Superstar? No way, but he go the job done.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
Rookie

ginix's Arena

OVR: 0

Closest thing I had would've been my #4 receiver in Madden 15, Amos Crosby.

Good to play as a slot receiver when Cruz was injured and was a Pro Bowl punt returner.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »