Home

Madden NFL 17 Defensive Gaps, Alignment, Assignment, Technique, Blocking & Much More

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 Defensive Gaps, Alignment, Assignment, Technique, Blocking & Much More within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Madden NFL 17 Defensive Gaps, Alignment, Assignment, Technique, Blocking & Much More

Another Madden NFL 17 blog has just arrived going over defensive gaps, run fits and so much more. This one is filled with great information.

Let's go over a bit:

Quote:
"When implementing the run fits system, we installed it the same way the defensive coordinators install their defenses in the NFL – Alignment, Assignment and Technique – and what this amounts to is every defender on the field having a specific job to do on each play the user calls."

This is a much needed change in the series. For too long we've called defensive plays like they're offensive plays -- which was completely inaccurate. To be moving in a more sim direction is always welcome, especially in an area most every football game hasn't been close to right on since the dawn of gaming.

Quote:
"The AI will automatically flip your defense when the offense flips so that your defense aligns to the proper strength in relation to the offensive formation they are seeing after the huddle break. When your defense has been flipped, you will see visual feedback in the Score HUD to tell you that your defense has been flipped, as well as what part of the defense was flipped (Entire defense, Coverage, Front)."

This is a nice touch and completely awesome (and much welcome).

Quote:
"The next step in the Run-Fits system is Defensive Gap assignments. All defenders, both in the NFL and Madden 17 have a specific responsibility on each play – this includes gap integrity for ‘run-fit’ defenders and coverage responsibility plus run-support for coverage defenders – making the play-calling experience more engaging and strategy-based than in previous iterations. "

This is a great layer that, when combined with the previous assignment/flip options makes for a compelling layer of defensive strategy that you must go into. Compare this to previously calling a play and hot routing defensive players and you can instantly see why this is a huge upgrade.

Quote:
"Just because a defender is assigned to a gap pre-snap doesn’t mean he’s locked to that gap for the remainder of the play. Each defender has AI that allows him to update his gap and react to the war in the trenches to fill the open lanes created by the blockers as the play develops. This AI relies heavily on the Play Recognition Rating.

Based on the PRC rating, defenders will be faster or slower in reading the play and finding the right gap to fill."

I'm not 100% certain how this will fully play out, but it sounds promising and certainly deeper than what we've seen out of Madden when it comes to line play over the past several years. The PRC rating sounds like a nice touch and addition.

For more information on Madden's defensive improvements, including techniques as well as improvements to blocking, check out the full blog post at the link.

Source - Madden 17 Gameplay Deep Dive - Defensive Gaps and Run Fits
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #2
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 17 Gameplay Deep Dive - Defensive Gaps and Run Fits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Now this is what all the defensive minds have been waiting for
Old 05-18-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
MVP

MajorSupreme's Arena

They hit us with two blogs. I see you EA, I see you.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #4
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Is it just me or does they language they use kinda seem like we are gonna get tiered play calling?
Old 05-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Is it just me or does they language they use kinda seem like we are gonna get tiered play calling?
Not necessarily.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #6
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Not necessarily.
Ah well the thought was fun while it lasted lol.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #7
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme
They hit us with two blogs. I see you EA, I see you.

Reminds of back in the day when u were REALLY looking forward to the new madden (which I think many of us are, again). Back then, it was constant disappointment when the game actually dropped, though. Lol. I loved 16 and appreciate the Rex driven madden team and know 17 will be solid. I want to KNOW EVERYTHING about madden 17 NOW!!! Lol.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #8
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Ah well the thought was fun while it lasted lol.
It's sort of done automatically based on playcall. It's weird to describe but will require a much better knowledge of your defensive playbook than past years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »