Home

9 Things We Learned About Madden NFL 17 (Gamesradar)

This is a discussion on 9 Things We Learned About Madden NFL 17 (Gamesradar) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
9 Things We Learned About Madden NFL 17 (Gamesradar)

Gamesradar has posted 9 things they learned about Madden NFL 17, during their hands-on time at EA Tiburon.

Quote:
In a game as the Seahawks against the 49ers, I repeatedly find myself smiling at the antics of cornerback Richard Sherman. At various points between plays he shares helmet-to-helmet smacktalk with opponents, bumps shoulders and elbows with team mates, and leaves the field dancing around after forcing a San Fran three-and-out. But there are no obvious jump-cuts before or after these scenes – everything is stitched together naturally. And with more than 900 scriptables included this year – I even see punter Jon Ryan celebrating a kick downed on the Niners’ three-yard-line – the repetition of scenes should be significantly reduced.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Gamesradar: 9 Things We Learned about Madden 17

Thanks for the article.

Highlights of the article I liked:

Commentators analyse the big decision calls.
Free-agency bidding process was tweaked

Lots of "behind the scenes" talk regarding presentation and likeness, if your interested in that.

Last edited by Datninja619; 07-07-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #3
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
If that’s an augmentation aimed squarely at the hardcore Maddenite, the ability to only play a match’s crucial moments skews towards its most casual players. Want to whip through seasons doing nothing more than throwing touchdowns, kicking field goals and trying to sack the opposition QB inside his own five-yard line? The option is now there. Definitely not my cup of tea (or, rather, super-sized bottle of Gatorade), but I can see how it would appeal to the NFL fan who can’t differentiate a right guard from a shin guard.
Well put.

Quote:
...if you stick with the back-up in this scenario, he’ll get an XP boost to signify the faith you’ve shown in him.
I like that they've finally done something with injuries but I still don't like this part of it at all.

Quote:
“This year we went to the scouting combine, where the NFL says, ‘these are the top 300 players that everyone should care about.’ We went and we scanned every last one of them,” says Hoag – a former college lineman who’s now a senior member of Madden’s presentation team. “They’re ready to go in this year’s game.
Best part of the article. Hopefully they'll keep doing this every year. It's going to add a lot to have virtually every rookie scanned and in the game.

Pretty good article though. Couldn't help but chuckle at the bit about how it was clear they live for the idea of making Madden feel exactly like a TV broadcast but I actually do like how presentation has looked this year for the most part.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Well put.

I like that they've finally done something with injuries but I still don't like this part of it at all.

Best part of the article. Hopefully they'll keep doing this every year. It's going to add a lot to have virtually every rookie scanned and in the game.

Pretty good article though. Couldn't help but chuckle at the bit about how it was clear they live for the idea of making Madden feel exactly like a TV broadcast but I actually do like how presentation has looked this year for the most part.
Kane has already said that NOT all the scanned players are in the game, will be about 10-15 players per team max.

Apparently the process of converting the scans into player models is too time consuming
Old 07-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #5
BRING BACK F2000 HELMET!!

l8knight1's Arena

OVR: 2

I have been playing Madden since '98, and I really do appreciate most of the things that have been built up until now, cumulatively. I love the game. I think this article outlines that well and Tiburon deserves the Kudos for it. The number one thing I cannot stand, is the removal of features and items that worked or looked great, for no apparent reason. We can get into heated discussions about things like vision cones and such, but I do understand why some things are removed for functionality purposes. Nerfing big hits and removing historic stadiums and coaches, equipment, I don't understand. For example, what's the purpose of removing the Madden 25 field that they created for the anniversary? I do believe the game is tweaked and things are removed to make 'room'; keeping the data a certain size, load times reasonable, and to manage hardware resources. I just wish they would not only focus on adding/improving, but also on not messing with what we love. We can't change uniforms for online play? Menus were pretty for '15, then weirdly re-organized. That's all I'm trying to say.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2016, 12:07 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 22
Re: 9 Things We Learned About Madden NFL 17 (Gamesradar)

See, these are the things that a sports game such as American football needed, that heart and soul of the emotions of players being seen with-in the gameplay. Its these little things that make or break how fun a football video game can be. I am very much impressed and quite happy to see Madden developers finally taking these "little things" as priority as much as the gameplay itself. This brings a whole new dynamic of excitement when playing. Hearing about these player emotions before and after plays are what Madden sorely missed. And the more of this that can be added the more fresh it'll be, its no different then cut-scenes on sidelines,etc ...there can never be enough of this kind of thing, it keeps the game feeling fresh and exciting.

I am also glad to see the "pressing" of a button to break or make tackles. This was also needed. Now if the developers can add pressing of a button for burst of speed for RB's running through holes or breaking away from defenders, much like 2k5 did, would make madden a much more exciting when running the ball on offense.

So far so good though, there is so much improvement from the developers finally, props to the dev's.

Last edited by Moegames; 07-08-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:45 AM   #7
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Really cool article. And it shows the immense effort these guys put into making a video game. A lot of passion is needed to make great sports video games and it's obvious this team has it.

Game is looking like a big winner again.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 07-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Ugh, I can't view the article at work for some reason. They have the website blocked.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »