Home

Active Intelligence System in FIFA 17 (Trailer & Interview)

This is a discussion on Active Intelligence System in FIFA 17 (Trailer & Interview) within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Active Intelligence System in FIFA 17 (Trailer & Interview)

EA has posted an interview with Sam Rivera, lead gameplay producer for FIFA 17, as he goes over the new Active Intelligence System functions in the game this year. Make sure to check out the new trailer here, going over more details.

Share with us what's new in FIFA 17's Active Intelligence System.

To me, this is my favorite element. This is a game changer from the first minute you start playing FIFA 17. The difference you see is that there will be more and smarter activity from other players on the pitch. Your teammates are always doing something to create space or come and support. They understand better what's happening.

How does it work?

We created new technology that understands three things:
  • Predicting the future and what could happen at any given time during an attacking play.
  • Understanding when the dribbler is ready to make a pass so teammates time their run correctly.
  • Understanding and ranking attacking space.
In the past, AI players would not take the chance to run into an area if there was a defender already there. Now, how the defensive line sits will factor in how a player gets into space. If no space is avaiable, that doesn't mean a player won't make a run, but they will look at other options to create an open passing lane.

But, if there is no clear passing option, AI controlled players will try to confuse the defenders or come closer to create a passing option. This way, the player with the ball can pass it and not lose possession.

When you play, you will see support when you need it; when you need attacking runs, there will be those options available as well.

Shifting gears slightly, what was done regarding CPU AI? What can those who play against the computer expect in FIFA 17?

We paid a lot of attention to the CPU difficulty because we want everyone to have a fun experience playing the CPU in all modes, such as Career mode or kick-off matches. Outside of fine-tuning the gaps between our different difficulty settings, we adjusted it so the AI isn't ball hogging. We heard from fans who were unhappy that the CPU kept possession for too long, leading to them just passing it back and holding on to the ball. Now, the CPU will play more directly while the player should have more of the ball. When the player has the more of the ball, they're having more fun.

Additionally, we tuned the CPU AI to have more variety in play-styles, both offensively and defensively based on the team's attributes.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC / PS4 / Xbox One
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Hopefully the last statement about the varying play styles is true. I wasn't too thrilled about the entire paragraph before that though, sounds like we're back to the CPU just barging forward all game long
Old 07-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Active Intelligence System in FIFA 17 (Trailer & Interview)

This sounds promising. The video looked good, and I liked the defensive shape. Let's just hope it isn't used as a vehicle for comeback AI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
Zac
World-Class Diver

Zac's Arena

OVR: 1

BUT... are teammates still gonna back away from loose balls?

Old 07-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Outside of fine-tuning the gaps between our different difficulty settings
If accurate, this should please quite a few people.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 12
Well, I hope the CPU is actually putting some thought into their approach rather than just charging forward. I never felt that the CPU held the ball too much. I don't know where they are getting this from.

I continue to be amazed at how EA persistently and stubbornly ignores our request for team-specific play and more depth in how the AI actually plays the game as a team. I would prefer that far and above any story mode.

They did mention that teams will have more styles based on their attributes, but it seems like an afterthought and not at all a deep part of the game. I have always said they would blow the competition out of the water if the game added the depth intelligent, team-specific play that is truly possible. It blows my mind constantly that they don't do this.

Here's hoping and praying for a great outcome.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO
BUT... are teammates still gonna back away from loose balls?
OMG this, ball reactions are terrible in many FIFAs; true for D and O. More than one character can go for a ball EA!
Old 07-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #8
Pro

talucchesi's Arena

Yes!!! They finally fixed the marking system. Notice at the bottom of the screen, Martial is moving more middle in this screenshot and isn't at the hip of Dortmund's fullback.

I know nobody ever noticed or even cared that this has been an issue for two years running, but this is a big deal to me. Finally a zonal marking system!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fifa marking.jpg (210.9 KB, 271 views)

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »