Home

Some Potential Damages in NBA 2K Tattoo Lawsuit Have Been Dismissed

This is a discussion on Some Potential Damages in NBA 2K Tattoo Lawsuit Have Been Dismissed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #17
Rookie

ksteward84's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Some Potential Damages in NBA 2K Tattoo Lawsuit Have Been Dismissed

An interesting part is that WWE 2K is usually super detailed about tattoos (or I'm just not paying close enough attention)
College Football Revamped
Fire Pro Wrestling World

Last edited by ksteward84; 08-03-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:46 PM   #18
Rookie

How is 2k liable and not the players and/or players union. Isn't that point of purchasing the rights from a union? You can recreate the player's likeness whether it's hairstyle, freckles, scars, or tattoos. Isn't it up to the players and the union to let 2k know if there are any specific barriers to recreating said players? I think it falls on the players and their representatives to present a 'clean' license to their business partner
Old 08-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #19
Rookie

any pro athlete just needs to make up a form that states that they have all rights to the art work
or if it is not a original then that they have the right for it to be used. i just see it as a bunch of nobody tattoo artists trying to get something for nothing. next it will be the people who make the ink saying they are being infringed upon
does this stuff ever end
Old 08-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #20
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
I feel like a lot of the "this is stupid" comments come from a place of wanting the video game to be authentic rather than disagreeing with the thought process. Which, hey, that's fine, but at least just be up front about that.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #21
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I feel like a lot of the "this is stupid" comments come from a place of wanting the video game to be authentic rather than disagreeing with the thought process. Which, hey, that's fine, but at least just be up front about that.
Forgive me, but I'm genuinely confused as to how tattoo artists can literally own a part of someone's body.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2016, 09:04 PM   #22
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
Forgive me, but I'm genuinely confused as to how tattoo artists can literally own a part of someone's body.
They don't own the body part. They own the art on the body part.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 08-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 5
Bottom line why allow yourself to be someone's personal canvas if you can't own the right to something you paid for. It's very silly in my opinion.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:37 PM   #24
Rookie

Sure they own the art, meaning other artists can't steal that design and use it on their own clients. It also means 2k can't take a specific tattoo off LeBron and make it available for your MyPlayer or your center court logo, which they do not do. However, a person's pigment is part of their likeness, whether it's their natural born color or if it's been electively altered (i.e. tattoo).

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »