Home

The New Running Moves in Madden NFL 17 Explained

This is a discussion on The New Running Moves in Madden NFL 17 Explained within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The New Running Moves in Madden NFL 17 Explained

EA has changed up a lot of how the running mechanics work in Madden NFL 17. There is now more depth and more to recognize with this year's game, and some players have moves others don't.

The first thing you need to realize is that you need to run to your player's strengths.

For instance, a big bruiser of a running back won't be as effective with the juke and spin vs. the truck and stuff arm. Making sure you are playing to your back's strength's will ensure you a bit more success when you go to your special moves.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some backs are not going to be good as others in performing moves. A player with higher special moves ratings will perform much higher quality moves versus those with lower ratings. Thus, it does pay to invest some of your salary cap space (or your actual salary if we're talking MUT) to a better back this time around.

Each move you use does take up some stamina so that's something else to keep in mind.

There are also modifiers for ball carriers which will have different effects upon the game:
  • Standard (No Modifiers) - What it sounds like, standard moves.
  • Speed (RT/R2) - Shorter and quicker moves, they don't move your ball carrier off their current path.
  • Precision (LT/L2) - Longer and more deliberate moves which can be used to successfully fake out a number of players.
  • Steerable (RT/R2 + LT/L2) - These moves allow you steer your special moves with the left stick. These moves influence defender pursuit angles. Only works with Truck, Spin, Juke, Back Juke.
Utility Moves

These moves consist of the 'other' moves which aren't steerable and give you the ability to do a few different items.
  • Ball Carrier Give-Up – LT+RT / L2+ R2 + Square/X
  • Celebration Run – LT+RT / L2+ R2 + A/X
  • QB Slide – Tap X/Square or LT+RT / L2+ R2 + Square/X

What else are you finding out about the running moves in Madden NFL 17? Share your findings and tips you've found to be working!

Video: Zfarls on YouTube

Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: The New Running Moves in Madden NFL 17 Explained

Wasn't there an advanced list of combo moves in years past, why'd they remove that?
Old 08-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

OVR: 0

I skipped the tutorial for the new running mechanics. Thanks for this quick over view hahaha. I didn't know how to do the steerable moves

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_the_Door
Wasn't there an advanced list of combo moves in years past, why'd they remove that?
You mean like the double juke and back juke?
If so you can still do that stuff. The modifiers just give you more control on it.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datninja619
You mean like the double juke and back juke?
If so you can still do that stuff. The modifiers just give you more control on it.

No in a recent release they actually showed the stick inputs for all the moves in a manual, those are absent now. I believe it was Madden 25?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
Just started!

fireguy1717's Arena

I'm about halfway through my first season in CFM and I can confirm that the ratings for certain moves have a direct effect on how the ball carrier performs those moves and how the defenders react to them. I must say that I really enjoy this change! It makes playing with each player a unique experience and really rewards you for knowing a players strengths/weaknesses.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #7
Rookie

BLACKjersey53's Arena

OVR: 4
Pretty sure the diving can be modified as well. I've noticed if I'm not holding LT/RT, the ball carrier does a higher dive with his arms reached out in front. LT/Dive does an over the top dive great for goal line situations, and RT does more of an aggressive, low to the ground dive. Of course, all of that changes if you're close enough to the Endzone to trigger some freaky 360 backflip dive like previous Maddens.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
Just started!

fireguy1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKjersey53
Pretty sure the diving can be modified as well. I've noticed if I'm not holding LT/RT, the ball carrier does a higher dive with his arms reached out in front. LT/Dive does an over the top dive great for goal line situations, and RT does more of an aggressive, low to the ground dive. Of course, all of that changes if you're close enough to the Endzone to trigger some freaky 360 backflip dive like previous Maddens.
That's correct.

I had a recent experience where I tossed it out to my TE and broke for the end zone. At about the three-yard line I had a safety come over and attempt to tackle me. I held RT/Square and my TE did a contextual dive for the pylon, reaching as far as he could to try to break the plane. He knocked the pylon over with the ball but not before his left knee hit out of bounds. Ref marked him down at the one-yard line. Very cool to see!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »