Home

NHL 17 Review

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Review within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 17 Review

The transition of EA Sports' NHL series to the current generation of consoles has been a storied tale thus far. We arrive at the third iteration in the cycle with NHL 17, and it finds itself in the fortunate position of being born out of a period of stability. Unlike last year, there are no significant wrongs to be righted, and the outpouring of fan unhappiness stemming back to NHL 15 has all but disappeared. It’s because of this that the shackles of the series have finally been let loose, paving the way for future innovations.

And yet, while NHL 17 is packed with an array of brand-new features and upgrades, it doesn’t feel like a revolutionary moment for the series. Instead, it tinkers with an already successful formula to create a sense of déjà vu, but one that feels more satisfying this time around.

Read More - NHL 17 Review (Written by: Fraser Gilbert)
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
What the bleep!!!! This game crept up out of nowhere to me. I don't remember 2k madden Fifa & nhl being this close to each other. I guess 2k f'd everything up by that early release
Old 09-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
I'll wait until it hits the Vault around May. Be A GM Online needs to be brought back before I drop a dime on NHL again.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
On YouTube the Bruins goal horn is correct, but the music is absent. This wasn't an issue last year. Does anyone know if or why it isn't there?
Old 09-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #5
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

OVR: 29
This plays a great game of hockey. Loose pucks, sloppy play, errant passes, etc. I'm happy with the on ice improvements.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
Pro

Sparkles's Arena

OVR: 6
Their marketing team is pretty absent for this release. No hype whatsoever
Old 09-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NHL 17 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135
On YouTube the Bruins goal horn is correct, but the music is absent. This wasn't an issue last year. Does anyone know if or why it isn't there?
Seems to be the case for many teams. I play as The Kings and its the same. Correct goal horn, but no song.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: NHL 17 Review

Appreciate the review.

I blew through a season of NHL 16 when I got a PS4 in February, but by the summer the game's flaws were too much to enjoy the game which was a lot of fun the majority of the time.

What I thought the problem was was the lack of full slider customization. I couldn't really open it up as much as I wanted to. I was hoping that the slider adjustments this year would allow me to have a true arcade feel when I wanted that and then switch it up and slow it down when I wanted a more authentic experience.

Sounds like some of the same bang-your-head against the wall moments still occur, which sucks to hear. I know no game can be perfect, so I'm hoping I'll be able to mitigate them with settings sliders and options.

I'm thinking I'll rent this game from Redbox and binge play it for a week or two, then decide whether to buy it outright or sit out another season. Unfortunately, no review can really make that distinction for you besides first hand experience. But it's good to know what to expect going in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »