Home

NHL 17 Review

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Review within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kariya05
NHL 16 already had way too much of that. Played like a beer league hockey game. Setting up plays and scoring chances should be what I'm trying to accomplish, not a cross ice pass.
Maybe if your more casual of a player. As for I a persons that puts in about 400 games online across the game modes I love when it's more sloppy. Once you get use to the game, and face top ranked people in the world everything is tape to to tape and more so automatic.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #18
Rookie

cuoreceltico's Arena

The story of this series, the most exciting game became the most ignored game...end of the story
Old 09-12-2016, 07:26 AM   #19
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: NHL 17 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuoreceltico
The story of this series, the most exciting game became the most ignored game...end of the story
Doesn't seem like a story, seems like one line that doesn't make a ton of sense.

Care to elaborate a bit so we understand your point of view?

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 09-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
Doesn't seem like a story, seems like one line that doesn't make a ton of sense.

Care to elaborate a bit so we understand your point of view?
The NHL series used to be great, especially on the PS2. The gameplay has been terrible on the current gen until, according to the reviews, this year. Madden, Fifa, MLB the Show and NBA 2K all improve every year. EA puts no money into this game. Getting roster updates is almost impossible yet Madden has new lines of dialogue implemented every week. They are only adding features each year that have been there before and selling them as new.

This may sound trivial to most of you, but the removal of the team specific music this year (they were all in the game last year) really bums me out. I'm still picking the game up tomorrow since the reviews are good, but my expectations aren't as high as I'd like.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #21
Rookie

Bleak5170's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135
The NHL series used to be great, especially on the PS2. The gameplay has been terrible on the current gen until, according to the reviews, this year. Madden, Fifa, MLB the Show and NBA 2K all improve every year. EA puts no money into this game. Getting roster updates is almost impossible yet Madden has new lines of dialogue implemented every week. They are only adding features each year that have been there before and selling them as new.

This may sound trivial to most of you, but the removal of the team specific music this year (they were all in the game last year) really bums me out. I'm still picking the game up tomorrow since the reviews are good, but my expectations aren't as high as I'd like.
Ugh so true. The roster updates in the NHL series are terrible. It's no secret that EA spends a lot less on this series than they do the others, (and it's understandable when you compare sales numbers). I almost feel sorry for the NHL devs considering what they're given to work with.

I'm holding off on the game this year because it really seems like you don't need it if you have 16. I want to be "wowed" when playing an NHL game like I am when I pop in NBA 2K.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #22
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:

On a side note, I think it's been said that team specific music is in, there are just some bugs with it. I've seen mention of it a few places.

That said, I think the decline of the game (at least in my opinion) can almost directly be linked to the focus on EASHL and HUT. The online modes dominate because with HUT, you make so much extra money off of so little extra work.

With the smaller team, being forced in one direction is sure to put a damper on the rest of it. It seems that EA is more attracted to the idea of snagging the casual fan who likes big hits, flashy goals, and big celebrations. That in itself isn't bad. When that becomes the only real focus, at the expense of people who like to play a more realistic game, then it's an issue.

But at the same time, I think there should be some commendation on the sliders. From what I've seen the sliders not only work, but give you a pretty good ability to fine-tune the game to your liking. That's a big thing that's been requested. Obviously, there's a lot to still improve, but anything that's a step in the right direction should be applauded. Not to say it excuses the other things, just that it shouldn't be ignored.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #23
Rookie

Caniac94's Arena

Quote:
Getting roster updates is almost impossible yet Madden has new lines of dialogue implemented every week. They are only adding features each year that have been there before and selling them as new.
I just wanna add on to that that didn't EA say they could get Ray Ferraro in somewhat often to record new lines of dialogue? Because I haven't heard even one line of new dialogue since I got 16 last year. It seems likr the only time we really see any updates is a patch that comes literally right after release and, of course, the trade deadline roster update.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #24
Rookie

@actionhank. I hope you're right that the music following the horns is a bug with some teams.

@caniac94. Does anyone want to hear from Ray Ferraro? I'm certain EA can get three interns to record the endless lines of dialogue that Madden has. Mike Emrick's "Goal!" isn't even as enthusiastic as it is during any of the games he does live.

Lastly, scsn the players faces please. As a Bruins fan, Rask, Chara, Bergeron,.Backes and Marchand are the only players that resemble their real life counterparts. I hate to sound whiny. I'm buying the game and supporting the series. I don't like reading that fans are skipping it every year because of what it doesn't have. That isn't giving EA the incentive to bother the way they used to.

Finally, menu music isn't a feature. I don't care if they get the rights to the Beatles. Menu music is the first thing I turn off with any and every sports game no matter what it is. Unless the bands/record companies are paying EA for their songs to be including, skip it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »