Home

NBA 2K17 Review (PS4/XB1)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Review (PS4/XB1) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
As someone who readily admits he is not the most knowledgable about basketball on the court, this is disheartening to read.

I enjoyed the review otherwise, however. It looks like NBA 2K is still a fantastic game for those who already understand the game.
dont let this hold you back.
Ive been playing 2k basketball for 10+ years and I have yet to master all the complex moves, I only know a handful of moves.
playing fundamentally sound, basic basketball in 2k is rewarding enough. mastering the sticks/moves is an added plus but unnecessary. just like real like basketball. everyone has their strengths, and this carries over into 2k.

Ive only played a few games.
game play is solid, but may be a tad too fast for my liking (will have to adjust game speed)
players skate/slide to get into position, more so than years past- this needs to be patched

I like the skinny arms and different body types folks are complaining about.

lip sync is off with the studio announcers and sideline announcers. its really a glaring issue. in other words its just lips moving while the dialogue plays along. years past this seemed more in sync (PC VERSION)

I like the in game play calling system and adjustments, but dont like how the subs are handled.

rebounding and post games are a plus also.
new shooting is a definite plus. I use the shot stick and I do feel the difference. once you get in rhythm with a player, you really get in rhythm. I may have to up the difficulty with this.

I havent played any other modes just play now.

so far its about 8.5-9 for me. Im my gm/my league guy. so I look forward to starting up this mode
Old 09-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: NBA 2K17 Review (PS4/XB1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
I'm wondering what makes MyGM better than MyLeague?

I haven't really ventured into MyGM since about 2k12 or so and have put extensive hours into MyLeague in the past few seasons.

What would I get in MyGM that would be better than MyLeague?

(I'm legit asking here, not calling anyone out for their opinion. I just had no idea MyGM was so tremendous and feel like I've been missing out after this review lol)

Solid review, by the way. Sums up how I feel about it so far.
It's not IMHO. Although it does let you deal with dynamics of owner etc, you don't have power to veto horrible league rule changes (e.g. golden point sudden death OT) like you can in MyLeague which is a killer for me.

Aside from issue with rule changes it comes down to whether you want to deal with the relationship & business side of being a GM rather than just the traditional franchise mode (with ability to edit & control) that we love.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:05 PM   #11
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
Honestly, I'm loving everything about this game. The only thing I could wish for for next year are more pre-built expansion teams. I'm using those because the presentation is so authentic with them. They're treated like all the other teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0
Great review. I agree wholeheartedly it's a fantastic game. I also agree that it's so disappointing how tedious MyCareer is. I spent 90 minutes on my first off day dealing with text messages, practices, and shoot arounds before I played a real game
Old 09-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #13
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

I expected a little more detail for everything, and why no mention of the Dream team not being there at launch? That hurt like a stinger, but overall, agree with the review.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #14
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

Re: NBA 2K17 Review (PS4/XB1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
I expected a little more detail for everything, and why no mention of the Dream team not being there at launch? That hurt like a stinger, but overall, agree with the review.

Technically they were there for launch, some just didn't have them for preorder early access.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1
You couldn't have said it better. The learning curve on this game keeps going higher and higher. I saw someone over at IGN refer to it as the "Dark Souls of sports games". I completely appreciate the depth for the hardcore, but try to ease the uninitiated in a little easier. Heck, I've been playing since the Dreamcast days, and I'd still love a skills trainer of some kind.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 09:07 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 14
Guys, I know the learning curve is a huge hurdle to overcome. Specially for the newcomers. But the onboarding suite available at the 2KU feature is quite simple amazing and for my surprise it went uniticed in this review. I've played every NBA 2K ever made and I've never been able to achieve the level of success I'm having right now. They have neat videos of EVERY single move available in the game with the controls on top of it. Very, very helpful. So much so that for the first time ever I felt confident creating a big man in MyCareer instead of a guard since now I know how to perform all of the moves in the post. I feel they should be praised for this. For those who missed the feature, I urge you to check it out. it will really improve your experience with the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »