Home

NBA 2K17: Stopping the ISO Dribble Drive

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17: Stopping the ISO Dribble Drive within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NBA 2K17: Stopping the ISO Dribble Drive

Here's a great video from Sam Phan talking about stopping the ISO dribble in NBA 2K17. As many of you are finding out, it's kind of difficult to stop the ISO dribble in this year's game -- but NBA 2K17 gives you a few tools to help you out.
  • First, in the settings apply the "Help (All)" setting to allow for the computer to automatically provide help defense. As in basketball, that means a player in the post will slide over to defend a driving player who beats a perimeter defender and it gives you a very slight speed edge to give you the ability to possibly block your opponents shot.
  • Sam mentions in the video (and its totally true) that ultimately you are going to need to be good on the sticks to defend against driving players. Holding down your LT to stay in a defensive stance is a good idea -- and positioning your player to always stay between the ball and the basket is yet another good idea. Ultimately, if you do this you will always find your defender in a good position. Reacting to every little move a ballhandler makes will mean you get beat more often than not because you'll ultimately end up out of position.
What are some of the things you are doing to defend the ISO dribble drive?
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: NBA 2K17: Stopping the ISO Dribble Drive

I didn't realize people were having trouble with this. I play on Superstar, and I'm not a stick guru by any means, but I don't have a problem sticking with my guy. If you use angles and basic basketball knowledge, you should be able to contain most of it.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
Pro

ASUBoy93's Arena

OVR: 2
I've always had a problem sticking with my guy when it comes to the CPU. I know the basic stuff, stay in front of your guy and the basket but the CPU routinely just blows by me.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 8
The only reason imo from previous versions were the extra animations that i recall would punish you per say for actually doing well. With the new tweaks i feel a whole lot more better with the on ball defense. Unfortunately some may still not feel that way and rely on cpu guarding ball handler ...
Old 09-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

This year right trigger is more important than ever before. It's the very best tool to stop ISOs. In 2k16 players tended to overreact but in this iteration you can really calibrate your movements and be efficient
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #6
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
I didn't realize people were having trouble with this. I play on Superstar, and I'm not a stick guru by any means, but I don't have a problem sticking with my guy. If you use angles and basic basketball knowledge, you should be able to contain most of it.
Haven't watched the video but I wonder if this is more for help defending human players who are really good on the sticks offensively. Defending the computer is one thing but defending someone who is skilled and may have mastered the new offensive controls can be challenging.

For those who haven't heard of Sam Phan before I highly reccomend watching his videos. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced 2K player he will give you tips to improve and solidify your skills. Some of his tips are basketball knowledge based but other strategies are more based on how to execute things in the game. His video on crossovers is definitely helpful for those who are struggling with adjusting to the new dribbling controls and getting by defenders 1 on 1
Old 09-21-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
Sometimes you get caught out of position an you get beat to the spot

Sent from my SM-J110M using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »