Home

NBA 2K17: How To Shoot Without the Shot Meter

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17: How To Shoot Without the Shot Meter within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NBA 2K17: How To Shoot Without the Shot Meter

The shot meter is my bread and butter in NBA 2K17 -- I will not tell a lie.

In fact, I admittedly am probably too reliant upon it.

But as Coach2K on YouTube points out in the video above -- you don't have to use the shot meter to be successful in NBA 2K17.

Why would you not use the shot meter? A couple of potential reasons come up. First, if the shot meter is tweaked for less green releases you aren't going to be affected by those changes. Second, you'll be more focused on the on-court action than if you are constantly looking at your shot meter.

The visual feedback you get from your shots will tell you if you are releasing too early or too late -- and from there you'll be able to adjust your shot releases.

Check out the video and let us know if you are one of the adventurous types playing NBA 2K17 without the shot meter on!
Platform: PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
I turn off the shot meter every year. I leave feedback on for a few just to see the right release point and then I take it off. Leaving the shot meter off just makes it more realistic to me.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: NBA 2K17: How To Shoot Without the Shot Meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

The shot meter is my bread and butter in NBA 2K17 -- I will not tell a lie.

In fact, I admittedly am probably too reliant upon it.

But as Coach2K on YouTube points out in the video above -- you don't have to use the shot meter to be successful in NBA 2K17.

Why would you not use the shot meter? A couple of potential reasons come up. First, if the shot meter is tweaked for less green releases you aren't going to be affected by those changes. Second, you'll be more focused on the on-court action than if you are constantly looking at your shot meter.

The visual feedback you get from your shots will tell you if you are releasing too early or too late -- and from there you'll be able to adjust your shot releases.

Check out the video and let us know if you are one of the adventurous types playing NBA 2K17 without the shot meter on!
A lot of these tricks and visual aids have been in 2k since sig style became a thing. I gave shot meters a chance this year. But I noticed I shot tooo many air balls. So I went back to my old school ways. And now I'm shooting a waaaay high%.

Another thing I like to add offensive rebounds are huge.

Last edited by jeebs9; 10-19-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
Pro

Loved the video, going to definitely do this from now on. I use custom sliders though (made for lower %), so this is going to be great!
Old 10-19-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

How to shoot without the shot meter? Simple. Take it back to the old school, where you had to look at the players shot motion and pray lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2016, 11:07 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 30
I use a bit of both. I pay more attention to the shooting motion of a player and my own feel with a bit of peripheral vision on the meter, at same time.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:30 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 9

The Shot Meter is a bad move. It will naturally give an advantage to those who use it versus those who go by the signature animation. It takes away from the immersion of the game and makes it more clinical and cold. Who wants to look at a meter when they shoot in a basketball game? Next you'll have to fill up a meter while passing, then fill up the dunk meter when you go up for a slam.

I wouldn't care much about an optional feature but it's going to give an advantage to those who use it, so it's not really fair for those who just want to play a simulation style basketball game and not turn it into who can hit the meter the best. What happened to relying on basketball knowledge? Basketball knowledge combined with a degree of stick skills makes the perfect game. Weighing it too heavily in one area by adding something like this shot meter is not a good look for simulation style players, IMO.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:51 AM   #8
Rookie

I always turn the shot meter off. I noticed a lot of players are so reliant on the meter and that's when they start expecting every shot to go in. Perfect release doesn't guarantee you make a shot in real life and it shouldn't in 2k.

Last edited by Queannn; 10-20-2016 at 04:23 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »