Home

NBA 2K17: How To Shoot Without the Shot Meter

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17: How To Shoot Without the Shot Meter within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K17: How To Shoot Without the Shot Meter

Imo, and just my opinion, if they want to use aiming and a meter it should be at the rim.
Everyone, when shooting the ball has to look at the rim. Nobody looks at their feet when shooting!
They could have the meter the same size as the rim and you'd have to position the meter over the rim and time the meter correctly.
That's basketball and if you want to use aiming and a meter, I see no better way.
That would also make long distance shooting and close shots more realistic.
The farther you are away from the rim, the harder it is to aim and time the meter.

Last edited by awg811; 10-22-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #10
Rookie

SHOT METER = BAD DESIGN CHOICE. Shouldn't even exist in NBA2K games...
...shouldnt even exist in videogames particularly sports aiming for IMMERSIVE, REALISTIC & AUTHENTIC SIMULATION, period.

Let me ask you a simple question: DO YOU SEE A BAR OR METER BELOW YOUR FEET IN REAL LIFE WHEN YOU PLAY BASKETBALL? In NBA games broadcast live in TV, do you see these things?

Simple answer: NO.

Ive been NBA2K guy since PS2 era & eversince owning a PS4 then getting 2k15 for it & now 2k17, I turn all these things OFF.

Why?

Because thats how these kinda of games should be played: BASED ON SKILL & ABILITY TO TIME BASED ON RELEASE ANIMATION.

Just like, hello, IN REAL LIFE. You dont rely on bars & meters. You rely on practice & patience of learning. Now instead of doing that, guys literally look at shot meter, which is, again unrealistic. Why do we even have it, whats the point of tutorials if ALL YOU GOTTA DO IS LOOK AT A BAR / METER?

Dont even get me started on SHOT METER ON LAYUPS & 90% of the time, contestef or not, you will miss. This alone makes 2k17 very unrealistic simulationwise compared to every othet interation in the series.

I will say it again, Shot Meter = Bad Design Choice by the devs, maybe one of the worst ones since NOT being able to edit headbands (which mind everybody LAST GEN they allow you to & they havent given us REASONS WHY we cant now) & make custom teams outside of MyLeague.

If NBA2k18 still have these bad design choices FOR NO REASON (seriously, if as SIMPLE AS FREAKIN HEADBANDS is a problem then I dont know) & the fact they have oldschool guys in MyTeam but NOT in roster & their classic teams, I dont know if I can support these guys anymore.

Its like someone here said; one step forward, TWO STEPS BACK.

*~*
Old 10-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

I've actually never used the shot meter, ever. I turned it off when they introduced it a few years ago and have never turned it on. And I've had no complaints. I feel its more realistic without it.

The key isn't timing your release, its taking good shots. I only shoot when I have space, and only with players I know can make the shot. Ratings matter more than shot release timing. Steph Curry can shoot everything bad release and make just as many as Rondo shooting everything with perfect release.

Now, that's not to say timing isn't pointless. You generally want to release your shot three quarters of the way through the entire animation. I just simply release the shot when it feels natural to release it (for example, when you shoot, you use a lot of your legs, so if you release the shot right before you reach the top of your jump, you'll have the most lift and the most control on your shot, as opposed to releasing it as you start to come down).

I also understand that players only shoot 40 percent, on average. So I'm totally okay missing half my shots (as long as the CPU does the same! ).

There is only one player I refuse to shoot with because he never makes it but should make it at a very high rate. That's Ryan Anderson. His animation might be broken or something. I've never figured it out. Maybe the shot meter might help there!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2016, 09:47 PM   #12
Pro

I officially gave up on the Meter release, felt green release was cheese, so I now use Real Player % and as another poster said, work for the open shot.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:14 PM   #13
Rookie

I just read this thread last week so it's been a week since I turned off my shot meter via user timing. True enough, it's more realistic. Users will focus more on their players, not in a mini game of fill in the shade for green release. As per the earlier posts, shoot at the right place, at the right time, with the right player.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:03 AM   #14
Banned

emmanuelk1's Arena

the only thread that i agreed on, for real sim players. Enjoy the game like your watching an actual nba games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »