Home

2016 OS Readers' Sports Game of the Year

This is a discussion on 2016 OS Readers' Sports Game of the Year within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
2016 OS Readers' Sports Game of the Year

The OS Reader's Sports Game of the Year has been a fun award to hand out every year because it represents the game OS'ers think is the absolute best they've played over the last year. In short, its a people's choice award to sports game developers for a job well done.

As with the other categories we'll list off the top vote getters and talk about each after the jump. Before you do that, be sure to visit our YouTube Channel and subscribe to us as we prepare a 2017 full of fun content!

Read More - 2016 OS Readers' Sports Game of the Year
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Omg. The Show is by far the most overrated game ever. There is no way it's better than NBA 2K. I simply think that people like baseball over basketball and therefore voted for The Show. 2K is a much more complete game and experience. Classic teams, better graphics, better commentary, deeper franchise mode etc etc
Old 01-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 19
NBA 2k17 did not lose because of a slow down in innovation. They lost due to too many changes that worked in previous versions, and a defense that was ether broken or folks didn't know how to use. I would say it did not work as 2k developers had intended.

The Show was good as usual, and what still holds it back is its commentary and play by play. still too dulled down for this day and age. I get that their artistic style is a "lazy sunday afternoon" baseball feel, but it's too bland for 162 games.

Madden good game, but never holds my attention beyond 1 season of play.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
Rookie

dtlm6's Arena

OVR: 1
I don't think any of these games are overrated. It was very hard for me to choose between these four. Really glad to see PES 2017 making the top four but disappointed it didn't get more votes. I would rank them (very closely):

1a. NBA 2K17 (playing the franchise mode on this game is so much fun, INNOVATION OF THE YEAR was being able to expand and/or relocate 6 new team AND have realignment! Would love to see this in Madden and MLB)
1b. PES 2017 (2016 may be my favorite game of all time but 2017 edit mode shot this game up, find myself playing My Club more than I ever had)
3. MLB 2016 (Franchise mode is so much fun, would love to see different scores (i.e. high scoring, low scoring based on quality of pitching)
4. Madden 2017 (LOVED adding the ability to change CPU uniforms! Some improvement but still need to make league feel more interactive in franchise/season mode, NOTE: Madden is very much on the cusp of challenging for the best game overall)
HONORABLE MENTION: NHL 17 - very hard for me to find time to play all these games, but I am very much enjoying my franchise season on NHL

Overall, 2016 may have been the best year ever for sports games!
Old 01-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #5
Pro

wisdom less13's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
Omg. The Show is by far the most overrated game ever. There is no way it's better than NBA 2K. I simply think that people like baseball over basketball and therefore voted for The Show. 2K is a much more complete game and experience. Classic teams, better graphics, better commentary, deeper franchise mode etc etc
2K still has a few canned animation problems for a few years now. I'm not a big fan of having a clear path to the hoop and I make a hard right because the foul animation with someone attemoting a block. It's not like they ran away with it. Online is quite cheesy, too. RTTS is a better career mode as well. 2K is dope, but it has its fair share of problems...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2017, 03:45 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom less13
2K still has a few canned animation problems for a few years now. I'm not a big fan of having a clear path to the hoop and I make a hard right because the foul animation with someone attemoting a block. It's not like they ran away with it. Online is quite cheesy, too. RTTS is a better career mode as well. 2K is dope, but it has its fair share of problems...
Not really a fair comparison. The Show has zero player interaction, they don't even collide in the outfield. The only thing they have to get right is ball physics and even that is a challenge for them. The Show however has an incredibly loyal fan base which is why I feel the game is a big overrated. Nothing but praise on here
Old 01-08-2017, 03:45 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
NBA2k is easily the best and i love and buy both games every year.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:42 AM   #8
Rookie

carolinawolf72's Arena

OVR: 0
I agree with lovesports, MLB is WAY overrated. At best it is a good game but by no means is it great.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »