Home

Madden NFL 18 Will Transition to the Frostbite Engine

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 Will Transition to the Frostbite Engine within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Madden 18 Frostbite confirmed on EA Shareholders Call today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon
I don't play religiously. In fact this was the first year in a very long time that I've played FIFA, but it really didn't amazed me, graphically or animations/physics wise. Not bad, but nothing I could really point out and say "that can only happen with frostbite" like you can with Battlefield or whathaveyou. I have heard from an English friend of mine that he felt Frostbite helped the gameplay a lot and that it's tough to go back to 16, but I've also heard a lot of people say that they don't like how 17 plays, so yeah... lol
Nice, that's good to hear. It'd be great if the transition really tightened things up and put a premium on player movement in regard to acceleration, deceleration, foot planting, etc. I'd love to see E3 or EAPlay videos this year that don't have people dropping 350-pound lineman into coverage like safeties.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:56 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
I don't play religiously. In fact this was the first year in a very long time that I've played FIFA, but it really didn't amazed me, graphically or animations/physics wise. Not bad, but nothing I could really point out and say "that can only happen with frostbite" like you can with Battlefield or whathaveyou. I have heard from an English friend of mine that he felt Frostbite helped the gameplay a lot and that it's tough to go back to 16, but I've also heard a lot of people say that they don't like how 17 plays, so yeah... lol
So, with that said, Madden will definitely benefit from a new engine. I played the hell out of FIFA when it first released. I played the last two heavy. It's just more enjoyable than all other games and I hated soccer growing up. Frostbite changed some aspects in movement physics. It's little, but you have to play it and be into it to notice. The look is pretty much the same playing because the camera view is set far. I think they have to work on a way to have the players close still able to see the entire pitch.

But pondering at this year's Madden and how frostbite will affect it, is almost a most certainly it will. IF IT means they scrap the old gameplay and spend time implementing all new on frostbite. It's gotta fix movement. It's very possible in real life to have your jersey pulled and you not fall, that happens in FIFA. That will be huge to see in wr/cb interaction, oline/dline, rb's going through the holes and even QB sacks. End to all suction tackle's. Period. We need to be able to size a play up and crush him, there should be no predetermined tackles. No automatic running out of bounds.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-31-2017, 07:02 PM   #11
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

Honestly, I think a safe expectation of frostbite for Madden based off of FIFA would be that it will get better lighting, motion blur, and other visual asthetics. Other than that, anything else would be a pretty wild guess at this point. We should be getting some news in the next few months. I'm also contemplating going to EA play this year, since my family will be going to Universal Studios a lot this year and EA play would be right down the road. Would be nice to get hands-on time with Madden Frostbite.

Last edited by Lexicon; 01-31-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2017, 07:40 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 15
Will the locomotion engine finally be overhauled? I believe FIFA has some of the best running animations/locomotion features of any sports game.

I gave up on Madden a few years ago because I just could not stand how players moved. They have made strides in many areas but the locomotion engine is basically exactly how it was in Madden 06 (when this series truly lost its way). Maybe this is the year they finally address this part of the game...
Old 01-31-2017, 07:48 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Madden NFL 18 Will Transition to the Frostbite Engine

I'm not feeling Fifa graphics though they seemed cartoony but cinematics in story mode looked good.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:50 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 0
Hopefully the Frostbite engine will bring us true Living Worlds that were initially advertised with the transition to this gen. No more generic sideline player models with no names on jerseys & same facemask for every player, add chearleaders, mascots, etc... I'm curious to see what this will do for impoving player movement, physics (player clipping), cloth physics (grabbing jerseys, etc..) Don't let us down EA.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:57 PM   #15
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Honestly, I think a safe expectation of frostbite for Madden based off of FIFA would be that will get better lighting, motion blur, and other visual asthetics. Other than that, anything else would be a pretty wild guess at this point. We should be getting some news in the next few months. I'm also contemplating going to be a play this year, since my family will be going to Universal Studios a lot this year and EA play would be right down the road. Would be nice to get hands-on time with Madden Frostbite.
I agree and this is the feeling I'm leaning towards initially. I think visuals and lighting will be the most noticeable changes especially if a new weather system came along with it. An upgraded atmosphere would also be something that would make sense with this transition. Any gameplay changes at this point is just kind of guessing. It'll be interesting to see how they first talk about it though and how they handle releasing things because I think that will give us a good idea of how much of a difference it has made gameplay wise. But I'd imagine we won't get much of anything whether it be screenshots or video wise at all leading up to EAplay or however they're doing things this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2017, 07:59 PM   #16
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Anybody that plays FIFA religiously that can say how much it changed that game outside of visually? Was it still all pretty much the same animations and such or did that completely change?

I ask because if they're still going to be dealing heavily with the "legacy code" that has plagued things for the last ten years then this isn't going to make much of a difference. If it allows them to start fresh and build certain aspects from the ground up, namely OL play and the passing game, then it could be great.
Played over 500 hours of both FIFA 15 and 16 and played around 200 of 17 so far. Massive overhaul to animations in 17 and the graphics are insane. Stadiums look and feel more alive. The game plays so much better though. For instance, last year if the ball was going "near" a player they would automatically get a touch on it. In 17 that doesn't happen. It has to actually touch them for them to interact with it. There's no suction anymore. It's sick. I had a penalty shot last night that the goalie dove for and his legs were spread because he was in the air diving and the ball went right between his legs. Last year that would've been saved because it was "near" the goalie. Tough to explain without a video but hopefully I explained it decently well. This is going to be a game changer for madden.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »