Home

Road to the Show in MLB The Show 17 Is Still Solid

This is a discussion on Road to the Show in MLB The Show 17 Is Still Solid within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Road to the Show in MLB The Show 17 Is Still Solid

MLB The Show is a great video game. From the presentation and graphics, down to the gameplay, animations and sounds of the Show, MLB The Show continues to impress. In addition, one thing fans of the franchise have been able to consistently rely on is Road to the Show. Road to the Show isn’t a franchise mode, or a story mode like NBA 2K or FIFA -- not that there’s anything wrong with either of the two, but Road to the Show is on an entirely different level.

For those that don’t know, Road to the Show is the highly popular game mode where users create a player and watch him progress through the ranks from the minors to the majors. Much like in the real world, this opportunity doesn’t come easy. Players must continue to progress from game to game, month to month, until finally getting their chance to play in the majors. I’ve been a huge fan of the series, but have often found myself struggling to put in the time and work to see my name in lights. That has changed this season, and I am determined to make Josh Houtz a household name.

Read More - Road to the Show in MLB The Show 17 Is Still Solid
Platform: PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
MVP

Trackball's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Road to the Show in MLB The Show 17 Is Still Solid

It seems like it's harder to be called up this year--which is both good and bad.

My pitcher got drafted by the Diamondbacks, whose farm system really sucks this year, so I was okay with it, despite them having the highly-rated Zack Greinke and a very hitter-friendly park.

Then, about 60% of the way through my first AA season, he got traded...to the Twins, who were an even better fit for him, since their pitching is sorely lacking. And of course, they had the worst record in baseball last year.

I'm currently in May of my second year, still playing for the AA Lookouts.
Why do I bring this up? Because in last year's game, I was called up to AAA, then made the 40-man roster, in my very first year.

My natural impatience tells me "dang it, why am I still in AA? I went 15-3 last year, and I'm 3-0 so far this year, AND I'd be the third-highest OVR on the AAA team if I played on it!"
But the SimNation guy in me says this is supposed to happen. It's realistic. Very, VERY few players get to play in the Majors at all at the age of 18 or 19. Plus he's a knuckleballer--what baseball traditionalist likes THAT pitch?
(Incidentally, you need to see the "Knuckleball!" documentary.)
Old 04-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #3
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

OVR: 0

While I think it's awesome that playing Diamond dynasty, franchise, mode or RTTS all yield stubs, I feel like solely relying on stubs to buy RTTS equipment is a bit ridiculous. I'm new to the game and would rather not get handled in online games in DD.

Why can't the money from our contracts be used to purchase equipment for only our RTTS player?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Just started!

Great mode...I almost exclusively play RTTS whenever I have enough down time to play. I haven't played The Show since it first came out on the PS3 and RTTS was my go to mode then as well.

After watching all the pre-release game play and improvements for this years iteration I decided to give it another go. I must say it's as good, if not better than when I first played it on the PS3.

I created a CF with RF as an alternate position and I ultimately got drafted in the first round by the Yankees (one of my favorite teams) and was moved to RF. Within my first year I was called up to AAA and shortly after the front office called me up to the"Show". So, I was quite satisfied that I didn't have to wait more than a year to be called up.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datninja619
While I think it's awesome that playing Diamond dynasty, franchise, mode or RTTS all yield stubs, I feel like solely relying on stubs to buy RTTS equipment is a bit ridiculous. I'm new to the game and would rather not get handled in online games in DD.

Why can't the money from our contracts be used to purchase equipment for only our RTTS player?

You can make plenty of stubs playing offline. No need to play online.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Really? What's your method?

Old 04-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball
It seems like it's harder to be called up this year--which is both good and bad.

My pitcher got drafted by the Diamondbacks, whose farm system really sucks this year, so I was okay with it, despite them having the highly-rated Zack Greinke and a very hitter-friendly park.

Then, about 60% of the way through my first AA season, he got traded...to the Twins, who were an even better fit for him, since their pitching is sorely lacking. And of course, they had the worst record in baseball last year.

I'm currently in May of my second year, still playing for the AA Lookouts.
Why do I bring this up? Because in last year's game, I was called up to AAA, then made the 40-man roster, in my very first year.

My natural impatience tells me "dang it, why am I still in AA? I went 15-3 last year, and I'm 3-0 so far this year, AND I'd be the third-highest OVR on the AAA team if I played on it!"
But the SimNation guy in me says this is supposed to happen. It's realistic. Very, VERY few players get to play in the Majors at all at the age of 18 or 19. Plus he's a knuckleballer--what baseball traditionalist likes THAT pitch?
(Incidentally, you need to see the "Knuckleball!" documentary.)
That's good to hear, since it means I can start over and (Hopefully) not get called up so fast. My call-up felt scripted.

My RF (all speed and arm strength...no other real skills) got drafted by ATL (4th round), moved to LF (though was DH a lot due to terrible fielding and making a bunch of errors after the switch), and called up to the MLB level (skipping AAA) all before the All Star Break of my first season.

Now, the Braves LF talent was non-existent, so it wasn't too terrible, but I was only rated 66-67, only batting .286 with 2 HRs, had too many errors, and was in the middle of a slump when it happened (did have a good amount of steals and maxed out my speed, so maybe the very high rating in one category pushed it a bit).

Not a terrible performance for a AA lead off guy, but not worthy of such a quick jump IMO and I was hoping that putting no points into hitting and being a mid round pick would buy me some time in the minors. It would have been nice for it to at least wait and get me during a hot streak or something.

That aside, I don't usually play RTTS and was enjoying the new RPG elements and my experience overall. I planned to start over with OSFM anyway, so hopefully I get drafted by a team with a bit better depth ahead of me.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 04-14-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
MVP

G3no_11's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13

This may be true, but playing only RTTS would take seasons to accrue enough stubs to purchase even some gold equipment cards. That's just not cool. Wait 'til I'm in my 6th year to finally buy the equipment I want? Or spend real cash to buy stubs to get the equipment? That's basically what the devs did and it's just disappointing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »