Home

MLB The Show 17: Work the Count As a Batter to Increase Your Hits

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17: Work the Count As a Batter to Increase Your Hits within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB The Show 17: Work the Count As a Batter to Increase Your Hits

Among the many nuances of baseball is recognizing the importance of the count. Knowing when to swing, when to hold back and when to just let it rip no matter what the circumstance is often the difference between a good hitter and a great hitter.

Need evidence? How about Barry Bonds. In his record-breaking season, in which he hit 73 homers, Barry Bonds had an astounding 27 percent walk rate. That means that in just over a fourth of his at bats, Barry Bonds made it to first base free of charge. Taking walks, and the ability to utilize the count in his favor, was a major factor in his ability to hit homers.

Read More - MLB The Show 17: Work the Count As a Batter to Increase Your Hits
Platform: PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: MLB The Show 17: Work the Count As a Batter to Increase Your Hits

This is literally how I approach each AB in RttS. With my RttS character, I avg around 110 walks a year and around 45 HRs per year as well.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

OVR: 0
This is actually funny. Because me being new to baseball, I thought the goal was to smack the heck out of the ball. In my mind I'm thinking " Swing at everything in the box".

Now I see the strategy in it. There was a similar article awhile ago referring to patience, which I have now while playing.

Now I just need to work on reading the ball and knowing which ones to take a power swing vs contact swing.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 1

with the way bullpens are in todays game you're better off taking your chances with the starter.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
This is literally how I approach each AB in RttS. With my RttS character, I avg around 110 walks a year and around 45 HRs per year as well.

110 walks is quite a bit. I think my best RTTS season is around 65 walks. Is this inclusive of HBP and Intentional walks? If so... how do you track. The stats don't cover both?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23
My team actually isn't last in the league in walks this season! I give a lot of credit to easier check swings and a bit of a better eye from playing 2 full seasons the last 2 years. I'm still struggling to put up hits though on 17, my average is around 6.5. At least a third of those are via the long ball. Struggling to make solid contact on this game, but might be due to the fact my team is always fatigued.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterskin
110 walks is quite a bit. I think my best RTTS season is around 65 walks. Is this inclusive of HBP and Intentional walks? If so... how do you track. The stats don't cover both?
I'm not sure what you're asking. I'll post a SS of my RttS walks when I get home on my main RttS player I've been using since '14.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
I'm not sure what you're asking. I'll post a SS of my RttS walks when I get home on my main RttS player I've been using since '14.

I believe ya....just curious about the other stats. When you are hit by a pitch it doesn't increase your bb total. Same with intentional walks. They are separate categories.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »