Home

MLB The Show 17: Work the Count As a Batter to Increase Your Hits

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17: Work the Count As a Batter to Increase Your Hits within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #9
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: MLB The Show 17: Work the Count As a Batter to Increase Your Hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterskin
I believe ya....just curious about the other stats. When you are hit by a pitch it doesn't increase your bb total. Same with intentional walks. They are separate categories.

Last edited by dalger21; 04-25-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Icon10 Re: MLB The Show 17: Work the Count As a Batter to Increase Your Hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

... the ability to utilize the count in his favor, was a major factor in his ability to hit homers.
I really think we could find a better example than Bonds. I think we all know what the major factor was in those 73 homers.
In his 2001 season Bonds hit 12 hr on 0-0 counts, 11 on 1-1 counts, 6 on 2-0, 7 on 1-0 counts, 5 on 0-1, and 2 on 0-2, a total of 41 on 2 pitches or less. on 3 pitches he hit 11 homers. more than 3 pitches, 21 hrs. Bonds didnt need to work the count to hit those hrs. a lot of the walks were unintentional intentional walks where the pitcher knew he wasnt going to throw Bonds a strike. 74 of his walks were on 3-0 and 42 were with 1 strike, a total of 116. 61 of his walks were on with 2 strikes. Still the principal is sound, but Bonds as an example was flawed, in more ways than one. lol

A Work in Progress

Last edited by Caulfield; 04-25-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 0

One of the best methods for getting yourself in the right mindset is to think about the opposing pitcher's pitch count. Generally, you want this to soar. It decreases his effectiveness, and if you can get him in trouble early enough, get into the bullpen early and often in a series.

My goal each inning is to see 15 pitches. That gets me to 90 pitches after 6 innings. I won't hit 15 all the time, but working for it helps my mindset in taking more pitches.

The key is, when you have a hitter's count, it is about deciding exactly what you want to hit and letting everything else go. No swinging at curveballs and other junk.

Baseball games have always been tough. Even great games like the old High Heart series could play more like slow pitch softball. Honestly, I've never felt like The Show's hitting mechanics made for good count working. It was too hard to judge balls and strikes, and it was more just guessing when to swing or not. But it seems to be a lot better this year.

And the quick counts are an abomination in my mind. It ruins all the strategy that goes into hitting and really turns the game into slow pitch softball even more. The fact that they were just random, but not based on the pitcher and his control make them worse.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2017, 07:58 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I really think we could find a better example than Bonds. I think we all know what the major factor was in those 73 homers.
In his 2001 season Bonds hit 12 hr on 0-0 counts, 11 on 1-1 counts, 6 on 2-0, 7 on 1-0 counts, 5 on 0-1, and 2 on 0-2, a total of 41 on 2 pitches or less. on 3 pitches he hit 11 homers. more than 3 pitches, 21 hrs. Bonds didnt need to work the count to hit those hrs. a lot of the walks were unintentional intentional walks where the pitcher knew he wasnt going to throw Bonds a strike. 74 of his walks were on 3-0 and 42 were with 1 strike, a total of 116. 61 of his walks were on with 2 strikes. Still the principal is sound, but Bonds as an example was flawed, in more ways than one. lol
We doing the " Bonds was only good because of steroids" thing? Bonds was a multiple time MVP before 1999 (The year his body started changing) and won 8 Gold Gloves before then also. Let's also not pretend like the excitement of all of the home runs during the steroid era didn't save MLB from declining interest and fan support after the strike in 1994. Everyone loves to hate on McGwire, Sosa, Binds, A-Rod, etc. but these guys saved the game. Steroids or not, Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player there ever was.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:48 AM   #13
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atax1s
We doing the " Bonds was only good because of steroids" thing? Bonds was a multiple time MVP before 1999 (The year his body started changing) and won 8 Gold Gloves before then also. Let's also not pretend like the excitement of all of the home runs during the steroid era didn't save MLB from declining interest and fan support after the strike in 1994. Everyone loves to hate on McGwire, Sosa, Binds, A-Rod, etc. but these guys saved the game. Steroids or not, Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player there ever was.

A very polarizing subject....but I have to say I'm in agreement. The steroid argument will rage on till the end of time and I understand the other side of the argument, but we're talking a man who hit a HR every 12 to 13 at bats across his whole career average. He walked 177 times in his HR breaking season and still hit 73. lol. I saw him in a series in Atlanta hit the 2nd and 3rd longest HR's in Turner field history and it was amazing.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #14
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
Go back and look at Bonds' career numbers though. Once he started to take more walks than he struck out, his power numbers blew up. Just insert 1993 instead of 2001: Bonds walked 126 times and hit 46 HRs. Well before his head blew up trying to keep pace with McGwire and Sosa.

So, sure the year of 2001 might be tough to argue for some (not me, whatever he did was "legal" in baseball and Selig looked the other way due to ratings/interest), but the reasoning behind the walks/power point is still valid.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #15
Rookie

WhiteBunny's Arena

Due to the insane amount of meatballs, the only thing you should do is waiting for a pitch in the middle of the strikezone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

Among the many nuances of baseball is recognizing the importance of the count. Knowing when to swing, when to hold back and when to just let it rip no matter what the circumstance is often the difference between a good hitter and a great hitter.

Need evidence? How about Barry Bonds. In his record-breaking season, in which he hit 73 homers, Barry Bonds had an astounding 27 percent walk rate. That means that in just over a fourth of his at bats, Barry Bonds made it to first base free of charge. Taking walks, and the ability to utilize the count in his favor, was a major factor in his ability to hit homers.

Read More - MLB The Show 17: Work the Count As a Batter to Increase Your Hits
Barry Bonds was on more roids than the East German Olympic team. Probably not the best example.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »