Home

MLB The Show 17: Work the Count As a Batter to Increase Your Hits

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17: Work the Count As a Batter to Increase Your Hits within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #17
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 17: Work the Count As a Batter to Increase Your Hits

Hitting and working counts has never been better.

With the PS4 Pro and the amazing framerate picking up ball spin is fantastic.

Truly next gen level stuff this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 04-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #18
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8

Hitting is hard in general. I naturally want to hit everything I see but I've really honed it in this year. I'm recognizing pitches, working counts and even looking for certain pitches/locations and hitting to all fields.
Like I said, hitting is hard but is so satisfying when you succeed!

In addition, look who your hitting with, work their strengths. I couldn't hit a lick with Christian Vazquez but recently I've been hitting to the opposite field and an having success. Stay on the ball, going to the opposite field gives you more time to adjust and swing or not swing.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:16 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atax1s
We doing the "[b] Bonds was only good because of steroids" thing? [/]Bonds was a multiple time MVP before 1999 (The year his body started changing) and won 8 Gold Gloves before then also. Let's also not pretend like the excitement of all of the home runs during the steroid era didn't save MLB from declining interest and fan support after the strike in 1994. Everyone loves to hate on McGwire, Sosa, Binds, A-Rod, etc. but these guys saved the game. Steroids or not, Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player there ever was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Go back and look at Bonds' career numbers though. Once he started to take more walks than he struck out, his power numbers blew up. Just insert 1993 instead of 2001: Bonds walked 126 times and hit 46 HRs. Well before his head blew up trying to keep pace with McGwire and Sosa.

So, sure the year of 2001 might be tough to argue for some (not me, whatever he did was "legal" in baseball and Selig looked the other way due to ratings/interest), but the reasoning behind the walks/power point is still valid.
the op's subeject year is 2001, not any other year.
bonds wasnt merely good w/out steroids, he was great. but after steroids, and 2001 in particular, he was beyond great, he was even beyond ruthian. but patience at the plate wasnt why he was beyond ruthian, even if what he did was 'legal'. Still, I just cant imagine anyone would believe a man who only once in his career (2001, the year on topic) hit more than 50 could say he could hit suddenly hit 73 and the major factor was walks. it just wasnt, anymore than Big Mac or Sosa owing their beyond ruthian years to walks, instead of 'medicine'

A Work in Progress
Old 05-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #20
Rookie

Deucemonkey23's Arena

OVR: 0
Good article but if you're truly a ballplayer and not just a button-masher, you'd know this stuff...
Old 05-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #21
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Hitting and working counts has never been better.

With the PS4 Pro and the amazing framerate picking up ball spin is fantastic.

Truly next gen level stuff this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I don't even have the Pro and I can see the ball better than ever this year. No issues getting walks when I'm focused.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #22
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucemonkey23
Good article but if you're truly a ballplayer and not just a button-masher, you'd know this stuff...

You wouldn't have to just be a "button masher" if you'd never in real life.
Main reason (other than having good discussions here) these threads are started for those that want to learn.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 05-03-2017, 06:02 PM   #23
3X MLBTS Champion

mlblover15's Arena

OVR: 19

On the bonds issue, what made him such a great and dangerous hitter was his eye. He had probably the best eye outside of Ted Williams. Steroids don't help your hand eye coordination at all. it has been stated a million times... doesn't help.

As far as hitting goes it probably helps everyone involved that have the time to be consistent in playing the game period. I get in maybe a couple games in every three days or so due to my weird work schedule. I think that is really hurting me not being able to play every single day. day in and day out.

I also have been hindered by years and years of using every single hitting aid in baseball games going back as far as I can remember having them inside of the game engines.

that includes this series with the guess pitch feature which I used up until 15 I think is when I finally gave it up and went cold turkey on it. I tell myself every at bat, every game to not swing until I get to two strikes. which I hardly do at all no matter what.

it is like when I even make contact on a pitch my brain thinks I can and should hit every pitch that is thrown. So whether I am using quick counts or not it won't matter. I can't lay off pitches at all. I try to get my swing percentage down from 100% I may get it down to 90 something but never lower than that.

So I have read in here that people feel that quick counts aren't good just like guess pitch isn't so I should NOT use them??? cause that is what have been suing since it was put in.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:17 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

Among the many nuances of baseball is recognizing the importance of the count. Knowing when to swing, when to hold back and when to just let it rip no matter what the circumstance is often the difference between a good hitter and a great hitter.

Need evidence? How about Barry Bonds. In his record-breaking season, in which he hit 73 homers, Barry Bonds had an astounding 27 percent walk rate. That means that in just over a fourth of his at bats, Barry Bonds made it to first base free of charge. Taking walks, and the ability to utilize the count in his favor, was a major factor in his ability to hit homers.

Read More - MLB The Show 17: Work the Count As a Batter to Increase Your Hits
So am I the only one that noticed that the commentary in this video sounds like it is coming from a Speak n Spell?? Doesn't sound natural at all, dudes phrasing and sentence structure is all sorts of odd. Totally sounds computerised.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »