Home

More Madden NFL 18 Features Revealed

This is a discussion on More Madden NFL 18 Features Revealed within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2017, 08:18 PM   #81
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: More Madden NFL 18 Features Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
It just felt more immersive and like you were really building something. I've never understood why Madden didn't add something that seemed to so loved with NCAA. There are more than enough coaching moves made each year between head coached and coordinators for a coaching carousel to work well.

I think it would add so much more to CFM.
Yes. I loved starting as a OC/DC in a lower tier school. Spending 2-3 seasons building that side of ball. Then signing on as a HC in lower to mid level school. Building that team into a contender. Then signing onto dream job.
It would make immersion stronger in Madden. Especially with they having scheme-specific players. It would be ideal to start out as a coordinator, assist in scouting. Building that side into a top 10 unit. Then getting a HC offer.
It seems like it would be easy to implement. Already previous knowledge of feature, already have ability to only play certain sides of the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2017, 08:40 PM   #82
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Target Passing -- This again? How come every 2 or 3 years we read the same statement for a "new" feature. They said the same thing about total control passing. It needs to be a total overhaul, otherwise they are running the risk of revisiting an old Madden problem -- code on top of old code making the system unwieldy.

As far as the lack of Franchise improvements, I'm both disappointed and not surprised. But in no way would I buy the argument that time went into upgrading the Frostbite engine. What is the point of the separate Austin studio??

Edit: As far as the coach adjustments go, my expectation is that it will be underwhelming and largely taken from NCAA's adjustments. I'd rather see AI at the level where a single CB may decide to jump routes. I don't mean higher rated players better at reading routes, I mean some guys, regardless of how good they are, playing more aggressive. Mostly I don't want a gimmick feature. And whatever it entails, the AI better be able to make proper use of it, so any coaching adjustment feature would require adaptive AI. Without that, we know this will be a gimmick like telling defenders to use the hit stick.

Last edited by ggsimmonds; 05-15-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:32 PM   #83
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Target Passing -- This again? How come every 2 or 3 years we read the same statement for a "new" feature. They said the same thing about total control passing. It needs to be a total overhaul, otherwise they are running the risk of revisiting an old Madden problem -- code on top of old code making the system unwieldy.

As far as the lack of Franchise improvements, I'm both disappointed and not surprised. But in no way would I buy the argument that time went into upgrading the Frostbite engine. What is the point of the separate Austin studio??

Edit: As far as the coach adjustments go, my expectation is that it will be underwhelming and largely taken from NCAA's adjustments. I'd rather see AI at the level where a single CB may decide to jump routes. I don't mean higher rated players better at reading routes, I mean some guys, regardless of how good they are, playing more aggressive. Mostly I don't want a gimmick feature. And whatever it entails, the AI better be able to make proper use of it, so any coaching adjustment feature would require adaptive AI. Without that, we know this will be a gimmick like telling defenders to use the hit stick.
Is their a link to a confirmation of no improvements to franchise mode? Lack of info at this time of the year is no different than the past few years. We will hear more about features at EA Play in early June with some game footage and blogs to follow. A lot more information to follow.

I, for one, enjoyed the NCAA coaching adjustments on the fly.

Last edited by roadman; 05-15-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:03 PM   #84
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:

Lots of assumptions here. And please don't come back with anything about EA's track record. You are basically dismissing Target Passing without having any idea what it actually is. You are also assuming there are no franchise improvements, and that coaching adjustments is a rehash of NCAA.

All of this may be true in the end, but I could make the exact opposite assumptions as you and it would be just as valid.

tl,dnr I think we should wait for all the info before dismissing features.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:07 PM   #85
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Guys EA Play is a little over 3 weeks away, can't we just be a LITTLE patient and wait and see what's announced before assuming things about what was and doesnt done in the game? Nothing was announced about Franchise this time last year either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2017, 01:33 AM   #86
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Lots of assumptions here. And please don't come back with anything about EA's track record. You are basically dismissing Target Passing without having any idea what it actually is. You are also assuming there are no franchise improvements, and that coaching adjustments is a rehash of NCAA.

All of this may be true in the end, but I could make the exact opposite assumptions as you and it would be just as valid.

tl,dnr I think we should wait for all the info before dismissing features.
Speculation is part of the hype train package. Do you reply with the wait for info response to people who comment positively? I'm guessing not.

And why can't I come back with EAs track record? Is the past not the best predictor for the future?

i'm not dismissing Target Passing; I'm remaining skeptical, significant difference. I'm not going to go into threads showing my dairy air arguing that EA dropped the ball. Simply put, there isn't much in this press release to get me excited. The discussion is about the feature list and our reactions to it. Don't shame me just because my reaction isn't OMG take my money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Is their a link to a confirmation of no improvements to franchise mode? Lack of info at this time of the year is no different than the past few years. We will hear more about features at EA Play in early June with some game footage and blogs to follow. A lot more information to follow.

I, for one, enjoyed the NCAA coaching adjustments on the fly.
Here I will make an assumption -- there will be improvements to franchise mode. I think that is a relatively safe assumption.

However, the lack of anything new in this release suggests that any improvements are of the finetuning or balancing nature. There may be a handful of minor substance improvements, but I would suspect that if they had anything significant lined up there would be a hint of it.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:36 AM   #87
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Speculation is part of the hype train package. Do you reply with the wait for info response to people who comment positively? I'm guessing not.

And why can't I come back with EAs track record? Is the past not the best predictor for the future?

i'm not dismissing Target Passing; I'm remaining skeptical, significant difference. I'm not going to go into threads showing my dairy air arguing that EA dropped the ball. Simply put, there isn't much in this press release to get me excited. The discussion is about the feature list and our reactions to it. Don't shame me just because my reaction isn't OMG take my money
Your first statement about Target passing was "This again?" sounds like a dismissal to me.

As far as the EA track record thing, Yes there is something to be said about it, but it's the easy way out in any discussion about Madden.

The entire tone of your post was basically same stuff different year. And I'm merely saying you should think about getting more info on the features you mentioned before you assume the worst.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:32 AM   #88
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Your first statement about Target passing was "This again?" sounds like a dismissal to me.

As far as the EA track record thing, Yes there is something to be said about it, but it's the easy way out in any discussion about Madden.

The entire tone of your post was basically same stuff different year. And I'm merely saying you should think about getting more info on the features you mentioned before you assume the worst.
"Throw to who you want, in the exact spot on the field with all-new Target Passing, giving you, ultimate control over where the ball is thrown."
You know very well we've seen that line before. This is the 3rd time they have used this as a selling point. First it was with lead passing, then total control passing where you could aim high/low, and now they are calling it target passing. Hopefully it is a completely reworked system with untethered passing, but I think I have good cause to be skeptical on this. And yes, when they use the same line 3 times within 10 years or so it warrants a "this again" response.

That aside, my tone was not meant to convey same stuff different year. On the issue of coach adjustments, the system I want to see requires major upgrades to AI. The kind of upgrades that they would mention on this list. I think Madden has a ways to go before having the AI capable of such a system, so any coach adjustment system they implement before hand is likely to disappoint me. The tagline, plus what the team has shown to be capable of, leads me to believe what we will see is an upgraded feature from NCAA ("on the fly"). In itself there is nothing wrong with that, but I do take issue with introducing it as a new core feature.

With that, I'm not assuming the worst dude. Not even close.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »