Home

MLB The Show 18 Franchise Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 18 Franchise Discussion Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #457
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: MLB The Show 18 Franchise Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdfc
What team is the most barebones of them? I'm thinking Miami maybe?
The Reds are really bad

Sent from my SM-G920P using Operation Sports mobile app

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo
Old 04-19-2018, 06:57 PM   #458
Rookie

alston4659's Arena

OVR: 0

So I'm now in the second season of my Phillies franchise and I couldn't be more excited about the future. We went 100-62 last year and that was with me playing about 65 percent of the games. After the all star break I pretty much went into sim mode as I was looking to get to the offseason and make some moves. During last season though, I ended up trading away guys like Jake Arrieta, Maikel Franco and 3 members of my bullpen (Neshek, Hunter and Garcia) because I wanted a few more prospects and I knew these guys were just eating up money that could be used for future free agents. As for moves that made a impact for our team last season, I acquired Kevin Kiermaier from the Rays for a couple A prospects and reliever Trevor Rosenthal who I picked up via free agency. I ended up moving Rhys Hoskins to First Base because I had Aaron Altherr in Left field and moved Scott Kingery to Third base to fill in for Franco. I also moved Carlos Santana back to Catcher so fill out my infield and I think that move paved the way for the moves I ended up making this off season.

So the big fish of course is Bryce Harper and I ended up signing him to a 7 year deal for like 200 mill or something. Additionally I picked up Manny Machado who surprisingly wasn't resigned by Baltimore like he has been in previous test sims I've done. So after much debate I ended up shipping out Altherr and Odubel Herrera to now have an outfield of Harper, Kiermaier and Hoskins who I moved back to Left Field. I made an additional trade for Matt Olsen to sure up first base and after moving Kingery back to second base, Cesar Hernandez to short stop and Machado back to third base I'm set!! Also shipped out JP Crawford who was just too good to sit on my bench. I felt bad moving Hernandez to Short but it had to be done to get Kingery back to his natural position. My bullpen and starting rotation seems to be my only weakness but they were pretty solid for me last season so that will be something I address this coming offseason. Oh we ended up losing to the Indians in the world series in 6 games so I feel really good about the moves we've made this offseason as were all in this season trying to win the whole thing.

I ended up playing one game of my new season and the bats were alive! Harper hit a 3 run homer and Hoskins hit one right after that! Macado went 3 for 4 and I can already tell I'm going to have a lot of fun with this team. So my lineup looks like this...

1. Hernandez (SS)
2. Machado (3B)
3. Harper (RF)
4. Hoskins (LF)
5. Olsen (1B)
6. Kingery (2B)
7. Kiermaier (CF)
8. Santana (C)

Pitchers

1. Nola
2. Manaea
3. Lively
4. Eickhoff
5. Hutchison
6. Preston Miller (Free Agent pickup beginning of last season)
7. Kendall Graveman

Relief

1. Emilio Pagan
2. Trevor Hildenberger
3. Taylor Rodgers
4. Edubray Ramis
5. Hector Neris

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #459
Rookie

alston4659's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
I tried HOF hitting for a bit but was too frustrated as well. I play with PCI off and directional, timing hitting interface too though. I think if you're good at placing the PCI you cam hit on any level imo...

I went back down to Allstar and sticking with it. Have games where I get 10+ hits, then a game or two in a row where I can't get any more than 5 or 6 hits.

Yeah All Star is the level for me. Tried Hall of Fame and while I had some success, it just wasn't as fun for me. I still have both bad games and good on all star and still lose my fair share.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-19-2018, 09:33 PM   #460
Pro

Bushido's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
I tried HOF hitting for a bit but was too frustrated as well. I play with PCI off and directional, timing hitting interface too though. I think if you're good at placing the PCI you cam hit on any level imo...

I went back down to Allstar and sticking with it. Have games where I get 10+ hits, then a game or two in a row where I can't get any more than 5 or 6 hits.

I would probably throw my controller across the room if I tried one game on HOF. I know what my issue is, besides this being the first time I played a baseball game. It's that I rarely move the PCI when I swing. I have a hard enough time tracking the ball with my eyes, that I just leave the PCI dead center. I still get good contact, especially with my star players. Last time however, I did finally track a low fastball, moved the PCI down and hit the game winning homerun in the 11th inning. But that was pure luck, as I noticed the trend of the pitcher continuing to throw all his stuff below the knees to Pavin Smith.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:45 PM   #461
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido
I would probably throw my controller across the room if I tried one game on HOF. I know what my issue is, besides this being the first time I played a baseball game. It's that I rarely move the PCI when I swing. I have a hard enough time tracking the ball with my eyes, that I just leave the PCI dead center. I still get good contact, especially with my star players. Last time however, I did finally track a low fastball, moved the PCI down and hit the game winning homerun in the 11th inning. But that was pure luck, as I noticed the trend of the pitcher continuing to throw all his stuff below the knees to Pavin Smith.
Highly recommend directional hitting so there is no need to worry about the pci then. That way the only thing you have to worry about is tracking the ball and timing your swing.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2018, 10:04 PM   #462
Pro

Bushido's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Highly recommend directional hitting so there is no need to worry about the pci then. That way the only thing you have to worry about is tracking the ball and timing your swing.

I just watched a youtube video on directional hitting. That looks a lot easier, but what are the cons to it?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #463
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Quote:
I just watched a youtube video on directional hitting. That looks a lot easier, but what are the cons to it?
The only cons I can think of is you have to rely of the player attributes moreso than your skill level. But for a lot of people, me included, that is seen as a good thing.

Players will go through hot and cold streaks throughout a season like real life. Meaning, you can have a ball pitched dead center and you time it perfectly but the contact is weak since that player currently is not hitting well. On the other hand, a bal low and outside to a lefty for example can be timed perfectly and somehow manage to make good contact at the same time on a really tough pitch to hit if the player is hot.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Old 04-19-2018, 10:25 PM   #464
Rookie

Quote:
Side note,

I have no idea how some of you get any hits on HOF, or higher. I'm watching everyone in my lineup's batting average drop significantly by the day after switching to All-Star (hitting) in this 4-game series against the Giants.
On legend, you almost have to use zone/analog and PCI, and you have to be good with it.. I haven’t seen many people have success using directional hitting on higher levels (there are exceptions). I’ve been playing on Legend difficulty for 4 or 5 years now, but it took me a good 2/3 years to get to the point where I consider myself a “good” hitter on legend

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »