Home

Glenn's In pursuit of realism sliders

This is a discussion on Glenn's In pursuit of realism sliders within the EA Sports NHL Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Glenn's In pursuit of realism sliders

Attribute effect to 1. I was noticing a few weird animations at 0 here in game 3 and also it doesn't make sense to have the attributes of the players have little to no affect on the game. I noticed an immediate difference from 0 to 1. The pace has quickened and the game is a lot less sloppy.

Update: Just finished up the 3rd game and it was awesome! Attribute effect to 1 is where it's at imo. I had to make a few adjustments to get back the sloppiness of the game and good lord it's sloppy. Maybe too sloppy. Would love your thoughts on that. Anyways here's the stats...

Edm (AI) 4 - Edm (Me) 3 OT

Shots: 28-24 (noticed the ai shooting a little more but I need a bigger sampling to confirm this)
Hits: 18-19
TOA: 5:37-5:39 (Closest TOA I have seen)
Passing: 69.3%-63.2%
Faceoffs: 18-24
Powerplays: 3-7 (this is still not right despite dropping the ai penalty sliders)

So all in all I moved attribute effects to 1, raised broken stick to 58, dropped fatigue recovery to 39 for ai/user, raised pickup type effect to 100 for both ai/user, and to make it extra sloppy I lowered bouncing puck to 0 for ai/user. Also raised stumble threshold to 94 with fall and stumble ease still at 100.

Goodnight guys!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #42
Rookie

Gonna test attribute effect to 10 with almost all other sliders at 0 except the following:

Fatigue - 100/100
Fatigue recovery - 39/39
Game speed - 6
Broken stick - 50
Player accel - 40/40
Manual passing - off
pass assist - 30
min pass - 35
max pass - 40
saucer pass - 45
Goalie cover - 100
goalie passing - 45
Ai learning - 6
Cpu difficulty adjustment - 6
Faceoff difficulty - 50
Cpu strat adjustment - 6

All other sliders are 0

Last edited by nascarman99; 10-20-2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #43
Rookie

Please keep us posted. Apparently by testing this BleacherCreature saw a lot of icing calls and some offsides. I am looking for a set that'll give us that, because in all honesty the CPU never ever ice the puck, and that's something that is not realistic. I'm glad you're willing to do your best and try to find a set that'll give us a realistic experience.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #44
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16
Glenn's In pursuit of realism sliders

You’ll have to raise all shooting sliders too. Shots went nowhere with those at 0. My dog could shoot a puck harder with his tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-20-2018, 11:28 PM   #45
Rookie

Seb2314...I'm gonna test heavily on this today and you are absolutely right, there should be plenty of icings, offsides, and overall sloppiness to the game. That's what i'm trying to create. I'll definitely keep you all updated
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #46
Rookie

Bleacher Creature....lol yeah I had to immediately raise shot power across the board. It looked like one of those center ice giveaway shots where the contestant tries to shoot it through the hole.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:26 AM   #47
Rookie

This is gonna be a lengthy couple of posts...again, bear with me guys. Let's start with general settings for today.

Okay, just for shats and giggles, I'm gonna go slider by slider and give you guys my thoughts on what I think every slider should be and to give you my perspective on it...in no way i'm saying that i'm right, I just want your opinions on it too. Plus this let's me organize my thoughts.

Gameplay version: I'm going with 1.00 at the moment because it seems like the later versions have been causing issues. I'm trying to get back the 'Beta' feel.

Attribute Effects: I really feel like this should be 10. I'm just not sure exactly what it does and that's the problem. When I'm skating on the ice I shouldn't be handicapped because of an imaginary thing that's setting the limit on my attributes but than again it all goes back to just I don't exactly know what it does.

Broken stick frequency: I saw an article about an NHL equipment guy and he said usually each team goes through 3 broken sticks per night. I have this set to 58 currently to achieve this but I may go higher.

Game Speed: This is another slider I'm going back and forth with. I feel the players should dictate the speed of the game just like in real life and there shouldn't be anything artificially decreasing or increasing the overall speed other than player acceleration and player speed. Than again I don't want the game to have any weird animations if I set it too low or too high. For now I'm gonna go with 1 game speed because I have attribute effects so high. This may change over time.

*see below...i may go to 6 on this setting

Fatigue effect: 100. I am not gonna budge on this one and I feel like this needs to be at 100 to accurately portray how it is in real life.

Fatigue recovery: The 4th line players have been averaging 8 minutes ice time per game. I have mine set to 39 to get close to that 8 minute mark. You might see some 6 minutes or 9 minutes toi but as long as it's not something insane like 2 to 5 min toi than im fine with it. (courtesy of Bleacher Creature)

Injury occurrence: 50 and I think I haven't touched this slider in years.

*update 7:14 pm (japan time) - changing game speed has a definite effect on physics. I just tested this in free skate. Game speed at 1 felt sooooo sluggish. I kind of expected this so I may need to go back up to 6 to get realistic skating. Be advised...changing the game speed affects shot speed. So if you're using shot speed at 50 and game speed at 6, your shot speed is really probably 90 or 100 which is way over. Slap shot speed on game speed 6 is not affected...you WILL have to raise unless you want your dogs tail taking slap shots in the game

*update 7:23 pm
How fast do you want the players to do crossovers and perform skating movements? Game speed will affect this obviously. I'm gonna look at clips at McDavid to see how quickly he crosses over. For testing purposes I have accel and player speed both at 50.

Okay...lol I just watched him and Point from last years skills competition...yeah they cross over with immense speed. Game speed 6 might be the way to go to get this kind of skating.

*update 8:33 pm
Game speed at 6 with accel at 15 for both ai/user and player speed at 15 for ai/user gives me perfect speed in terms of seconds according to this clip at the 52 second mark. I followed his path in free skate and tried to get the accurate glide at the end that he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD7777f2XM4

Gonna play a game now with attribute effect to 10, game speed to 6, and with the above speed/accel settings. (I'm obsessed with getting the speed of the game hyper realistic)
Most of the sliders are still all 0 with the exception of a few shot sliders. I'll keep you guys posted

Game 1 recap - Edm (AI) @ Edm (Me)

Final: 3-2
Shots: 27-30
Hits: 18-12
TOA: 5:49-5:36
Passing: 76.4%-70.7%
Faceoffs: 24-12
Powerplays 0-0 (I turned all penalty sliders to 0 hence why there's no pp's)

I need a new thread to recap this one...

Last edited by nascarman99; 10-21-2018 at 09:29 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #48
Rookie

Again guys bear with me...

Okay. Where to begin...let me start by saying the speed of this game was outstanding and it felt life like. With game speed to 6 and low accel and player speed settings (15/15), it felt realistic. I did notice a few weird animations where the player would almost look like he can't turn but it could be an issue with the overall game that needs to be patched. I will keep the speed settings the same for game 2.

Onto my next topic. The shots on goal were really surprising because I had shot accuracy super low for that game (10/10) and myself as well as the ai still put up 57 shots. I also didn't see too many crazy wide missed shots, maybe a few but they were from guys like Caggiula, Kassian, and a few of my d-men. Same with the ai. Imo it felt realistic. My Lightning miss the net alllll the time!. So I firmly believe now if I had attribute effects to lets say 1 with the same shot accuracy, I would've missed the net completely on 75% of the shots.

Hits. How on earth am I getting that many hits with all the checking sliders on 0? 0!!!! lol. That's a lot of hits for an 8 minute period game. Granted there were no earth shattering hits at all and it might be something I change. Just a lot of hits to knock the puck carrier off the puck and nothing more than that.

I want passing to be in the mid 60's, for that game they were both in the 70's. I can make it sloppier. All the passing sliders were set to 0 that game with the exception of the passing speed settings. On a side note, passing speed might be affected by game speed but i'm gonna test this further. 50 max pass speed could be 60 if my theory is true. May have to go down on that.

Here's what my heart is telling me...If you want the game to use the attributes of the players to the fullest (As I think it should), set it to max attribute effect and keep the other sliders low. I believe that slider has nothing to do with player separation. I could be way off though. I am no developer by any means...just a man who wants to get this game close to the real thing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders »