Home

Official NBA Live 19 Impressions thread

This is a discussion on Official NBA Live 19 Impressions thread within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2019, 09:07 PM   #689
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Official NBA Live 19 Impressions thread

Had this Game for a while but....
I don't know,something is off,looks really good,but it's the details that makes this a no go every time I try to play It (the one league)
Commentary is awful shooting/free throw animations/general basketball iq/gameplay.
To bad.
Guess playing park modes etc is ok?

Xbox :ettnollbajen
Old 04-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #690
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

I play on Pro setting. Tried Allstar and did not like it, just feels worse and the flow isn't right. Tweaked my sliders for a challenging physical game, and it plays nice NBA basketball.

Played vs the Lakers in Detroit last night and it was great. LBJ was fantastic. I was able to take away his penetration after a while (though he did get to the basket several times...he's too strong), so he killed it with his midrange, postup and amazing passes for 3s or backdoor baskets. I played him with Bruce Brown and sometimes double teams, guarded him physically so he did get to the FT line several times.

LBJ finished with 42 and a great all around game. Griffin and Drummond were doing their things and Reggie Jackson led us in scoring with some great crossovers and stepbacks.

I don't remember who won (it was late at night and I was tired) but it was a very fun game. Getting very close to where I want to be with my sliders and player edits.

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 04-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #691
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

Played vs the Pelicans last night in NO. What a physical game it was! Low scoring in the first (Pistons led 24-19 or so), both teams with low fg% through the half. Davis (my rosters have all teams with ideal/healthy lineups, not today's) apparently was in foul trouble because he was on the bench for a while. Holiday and their backup pg (forgot who) kept them in the game but I was leading for 3 quarters.

Then in the 4th they started scoring and I couldn't stop them. Davis was great on O and D and my 15pt lead became 2 points only. Eventually I beat them something like 104-98 but it was an exhausting 4th quarter.

Davis led them with 19 and was a beast on the boards and blocks. Griffin led us with 20+ and 9 boards. NOP shot 43%, Pistons shot a shameful 37% but won the game.

ZX Spectrum
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #692
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
I play on Pro setting. Tried Allstar and did not like it, just feels worse and the flow isn't right. Tweaked my sliders for a challenging physical game, and it plays nice NBA basketball.

Played vs the Lakers in Detroit last night and it was great. LBJ was fantastic. I was able to take away his penetration after a while (though he did get to the basket several times...he's too strong), so he killed it with his midrange, postup and amazing passes for 3s or backdoor baskets. I played him with Bruce Brown and sometimes double teams, guarded him physically so he did get to the FT line several times.

LBJ finished with 42 and a great all around game. Griffin and Drummond were doing their things and Reggie Jackson led us in scoring with some great crossovers and stepbacks.

I don't remember who won (it was late at night and I was tired) but it was a very fun game. Getting very close to where I want to be with my sliders and player edits.
Could you please post your settings and sliders?
Old 04-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #693
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG#5beantown
Could you please post your settings and sliders?
I will try to get it for you but it may take a bit. As far as game speed I think it's set at 67. And I usually play 12 minute quarters, as I believe this is the best way to test sliders and roster edits. So keep in mind that I edit both sliders and rosters. Even with limited player editing we have, I believe you have to do it in addition to tweaking sliders.

I must say that I don't like seeing a lot of bumping. It's not realistic and looks silly. I understand that as of now there is no other way to prevent a player from driving like in real life, but I don't like seeing it all the time. I've been watching some youtube videos of cpu matches and all I've seen was bump-bump-bump-bump...bad shot at the end of the shot clock. Again and again.

The key is to find the balance between less bumping (unfortunately it has to be there becuse these games aren't realistic enough to make defense possible without it), and decent defense that prevents a scenario where 90% of the points are scored at the basket.

And another note. Unlike many here, I don't believe in sim NBA basketball being superb defense. That's textbook basketball (maybe the way it was meant to be played), but that's not NBA basketball.

The NBA, like some other major league sports, is not the pure sport. It's an engineered sport shaped by constant rule changes where the goal is to get it to where the the suits want it to be (where it will be most profitable). Hence, the NBA is not about superb defense. Yes, there are some good defensive teams, but it's not a dominant trend. The trend is to run and score 110-140 points a night. That's where the higher ups want the game to be, and that's we are today.

So in my game I would still like to see 1on1 plays, dunks, layups, moments of bad D and moments of better D. I'd like to see guys crossing over and getting to the basket or getting double teamed in the paint by the big(s) and making a pass (good or bad one). Not a dunkfedt of course, but NBA basketball.

Sure, I try to make the game challenging, but I don't believe in locking the paint down. That's not NBA basketball. It's not easy to make the game play like this, but I do what I can to make it possible. It doesn't always work, but there are moments when it looks really good.

ZX Spectrum

Last edited by youvalss; 04-20-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #694
Pro

Thank you for the reply.

All of this makes a lot of sense.

I know I ask for a lot here, but to implement everything you've done, I would need some kind of spreadsheet. Do you have something like this?
Old 04-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #695
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

Unfortunately no. But I will post my sliders when I get the chance. As far as player edits, it's a trial and error. I may get some players right, but other times I would go back and edit again, then test again. It is pretty limited, so I do what I can.

Played vs the Raptors last night. Seeing Leonard and Lowry struggle most if the gane then take over in the 4th quarter, was a thing of beauty.

ZX Spectrum
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #696
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Still enjoying this game on All-Star default with 8-min. quarters. Played a Raptors at Magic game today and saw a lot of good things from both teams. Kawhi was a beast and a lot of fun to control. Magic fell behind by 24, but chipped away in the 2nd half to make it respectable, falling by 13.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »