Home

Input Lag, Sever Upgrade Needed

This is a discussion on Input Lag, Sever Upgrade Needed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #1
Pro

zrohman's Arena

OVR: 0
Input Lag, Sever Upgrade Needed

Most of us have been saying this for awhile, and some YouTube videos have pointed it out.

Compared to other games, the input lag is significantly higher in 2K. Madden, NBA Live, shooters, RPGs, they all have better responsiveness online than 2k.

Considering 2k makes twice as much as almost any other video game due to getting full price at release plus people spending on micro transactions.

Can we please get a server upgrade. Please?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Input Lag, Sever Upgrade Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrohman
Most of us have been saying this for awhile, and some YouTube videos have pointed it out.

Compared to other games, the input lag is significantly higher in 2K. Madden, NBA Live, shooters, RPGs, they all have better responsiveness online than 2k.

Considering 2k makes twice as much as almost any other video game due to getting full price at release plus people spending on micro transactions.

I know its not viable for everyone but having a really fast internet speed definitely helps. I somewhat hardly notice it on PNO or on the JRC. Just have to hope and pray it can be addressed at some point
Old 08-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrohman

I've played online with both PC and console, and the input lag issue with online play on console is almost certainly a server issue.

I'm on a wired connection for both devices with 500 Mb/s internet speed. For games on PC, I always have ping times between 10 to 15 ms.

When in "play now" online on PC, it's actually a good experience. Input lag is only ever noticeable with jump shot releases, and even then, it's only very slight. You can easily adjust to playing with it because the server response is consistent (the degree of input lag isn't fluctuating all the time the way it does on console). In those experiences, 2k's servers seem fine. The only problem is that the player base for NBA 2k very heavily skews toward console. Once you advance past the third tier ranking in "play now" online, the matchmaking pool gets very thin. Sometimes you wait 15 minutes; other times you just can't find a game.

When in "play now" online on console, the input lag impacts the whole experience. It's noticeable when trying to perform most actions, and the degree of responsiveness is always fluctuating, so trying to adjust to it isn't really an option either. It's a pretty poor gaming experience, especially when knowing that better results are achievable on PC. While I understand that the hardware specs of consoles often aren't up to par with PC's, it's impossible for the difference in performance to be attributable to that alone. Other games don't have a comparable difference in performance dropoffs when it comes to online multiplayer.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

I always see dudes with bad response time monitors/TVs complaining about input lag when it's on their own end for using a low budget monitor on a game that requires pixel perfect millisecond releases.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #5
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakkoN
I always see dudes with bad response time monitors/TVs complaining about input lag when it's on their own end for using a low budget monitor on a game that requires pixel perfect millisecond releases.
It is only online, so I don't see how it could be the monitor
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2020, 07:36 PM   #6
Rookie

Sometimes it doesn't even allow you to shoot, pass, dribble etc.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:32 AM   #7
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
I know its not viable for everyone but having a really fast internet speed definitely helps. I somewhat hardly notice it on PNO or on the JRC. Just have to hope and pray it can be addressed at some point
Doesn't help at all in my case. I have fios gigabit internet and still lag 95 percent of the time. I can play any other game online and stream 4K HDR videos with no problems, but I can't play this game without complaining about lag

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-03-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
MVP

Honestly, I think this issue is specific to certain games.On PS4, certain games I play online will seem to be fine without me doing anything; others I pretty much have to go into my router settings and put the console into the DMZ for them to run well.

I'm not sure if it was some sort of placebo effect, the couple of times I did trying playing 2K with the console in the DMZ, I thought the game felt more responsive even in offline modes. It makes me wonder if there is some sort of closed port/port conflict issue with 2K when I use my standard router configuration.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »