Home

Every Kids Dream: An Option Run to The Top of College Football!

This is a discussion on Every Kids Dream: An Option Run to The Top of College Football! within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Every Kids Dream: An Option Run to The Top of College Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parent22
Nice to see that defense hold Earnst to 8/24. Hopefully you guys can keep it up on the defensive side, and on offense at least you got 30 points. Definitely a lot of positives to work with.
I've made some adjustments. Hanging onto the ball for 2/3 of the game helps my defense out, but I'd actually like to see a bit more from the opposition. I hope my adjustments make for some more realistic gaming, and a greater challenge.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #18
Rookie

Matchup Preview *|* January 1,
@
New Mexico Lobos
(2-0, 1-0 Away)
Arizona Wildcats
(2-0, 1-0 Home)
Offensive Stats Comparison
28.5Points Per Game33.0
332.0Total Offensive Yards458.0
107.5Rushing Yards274.0
224.5Passing Yards184.0
Defensive Stats Comparison
196.0Total Yards Allowed247.0
39.5Rushing Yards Allowed62.5
156.5Passing Yards Allowed184.5
Game Notes
Hatred flares, as these two rivals clash in Tuscon, Arizona this Saturday night. It was 2008 the last time the Wildcats of Arizona tangled with the Lobos of New Mexico, with the Lobos winning, 36-28. The Wildcats bring in the 4th-best rushing attack, led by Junior Tailback, Drew Browne, who has 328 yards through 2 games this season. Their second-string back, Adam Lane, is yet another threat on the ground, accounting for 3 TDs through two games. Senior Outside Linebacker, Jermaine Nelson, leds the violent Cats defense with 18 tackles, with 4 of those being for a loss.

The Lobos aren't too shabby on defense either, as they lead the nation in rush defense. It also helps that the Lobos Offense has been incredibly stingy with the ball, keeping the offense of their first two opponents off the field. Senior Middle Linebacker, Kelechi Smith needs to step up in a big way to stop the Arizona ground attack.

Offensively, the Lobos have been a mystery. Their hopes of igniting an option run attack have seen minimal results so far, with the Lobos only averaging 107 yards on the ground per contest. The passing abilities of Sophomore Quarterback, John Williams, have been a huge lift to the Lobos, as well as those of back-up Quarterback, Junior, Sam Sisk, but Williams has shown to make bad passes when pressed, and the Wildcat defense will certainly be pressing.

GameDay's Kirk Herbstreit has the Wildcats favored in this matchup.

Last edited by TrophyKing80; 07-13-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:28 PM   #19
Rookie

Storyline Selection!

Rolled single die for number of stories: 2

Random Number Generator (1-99) to select which player is impacted: 68 & 90

#90 - Starting Right End, Danny Freeman (Yikes!)

No #68, so spin again.... 5

#5 - Starting Running Back, Desi Pittman (Oh C'mon!)

Spinning the Wheel of Doom https://wheeldecide.com/index.php?id=339998

Updates to be reported by Lobos Sports Writer, Paul Brown.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #20
Rookie

Albuquerque, NM
Lobos Football Sports Writer, Paul Brown

It is being reported that starting running back for the New Mexico Lobos, Desi Pittman, was rushed to the Emergency Room late last night following a dinner out with friends. Pittman reportedly arrived at the University Medical Center on Lomas Boulevard by a car driven by one of his fellow diners. The driver of that vehicle did not make himself available for comment, but did note that he was a student at the University of New Mexico and a close friend to Pittman.

Hospital officials have not released any details, as of this reporting, however, Head Coach Justin Simmons did announce that, "a Lobos player did have a medical event transpire last night. It appears to be a case of severe food poisoning, at this time, but we will let the medical experts do their due deligence and care for our young athlete."

When asked to identify if Pittman was said player, Simmons denied to confirm, but noted precautions are being made, "We'll have the next man up, ready to play against Arizona this Saturday night."

Pittman, a Senior, is off to a slow start in first-year Offensive Coordinator, Zach Moore's new option attack scheme, with just 129 yards on 31 carries. He does have 2 TDs on the ground, however, and has been active in the passing game, collecting 9 catches for 64 yards.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:58 PM   #21
Rookie

'Keep Away Ball' Keeps Wildcats At Bay

Tuscon, AZ

With starting running back, Desi Pittman out of the lineup, New Mexico Head Coach, Justin Simmons wasn't sure how his team would respond without one of their leaders. "Getting off the bus here in Tuscon, I still didn't know if the guys were going to let this be a detriment to how they handled themselves tonight", Simmons stated.

Earlier this week, Pittman was rushed to the Emergency Room, suffering from severe food poisoning. His prognosis is good, however, he would miss the rivalry game against the Wildcats of Arizona. When asked over the phone about his health and his thoughts on the game, Pittman had this to say, "It's tough. It's my senior year, and I worked hard to stay injury-free and then this happens. Missing the game in Tuscon is huge for me, but I have faith in the guys behind me." The guy behind him is Sophomore, Keith Wallace, who entered the game with only 3 carries for 1 yard on the season. Wallace would had 16 more carries to his total, along with 60 yards and a score in a critcal win for the Lobos at Arizona tonight, with the final being 20-7.

The game's MVP was actually Lobos kicker, Josh Brown, who was 2 of 2 on field-goal attempts and 2 of 2 on extra points. It should tell you something that the kicker was named MVP, especially when his longest kick of the day was only from 27 yards out. However, at first, it appeared that the Lobos would score a huge blow out, with the stats to support it, as the Lobos took a 17-0 lead into the locker room at the break, along with a 250 to 35 yards gained advantage.

"We really dominated that first half. Our ground game was still struggling, but Wallace gave us some good hard runs here and there, as did Billy (Fields, fullback). Our guys continued to work the clock, which has been our strategy all season; maintain possession, snap it late, and keep the opponents offense off the field", Offensive Coordinator, Zach Moore said. And they did just that in the first half, possessing the ball for a mind-boggling 12:34 to Arizona's mere 1:30.

The offense hummed along, picking up first downs on its opening drive, before a false start and a sack on Quarterback, John Williams, forced the Lobos to try for 3. Brown's first kick was good from 24 yards away. Arizona responded with a 3 and out, punting right before the 1st quarter was to end, illustrating how methodical the Lobos first drive had been.

New Mexico's next drive would consume more clock, using 11 plays to work their way down the field, with the biggest play occuring on a 3rd and 10 near midfield, when Wallace scampered left out of the backfield on an off-tackle run play and picked up the needed ten yards to convert. Soon after, running back, Alex Williams, was snagging a pass from quarterback, Williams, for a 4-yard score. It was the Junior's first receiving TD of his career.

Arizona would respond with a couple of first downs, but then a sack forced the Wildcats to punt the ball back to the Lobos with time running down in the first half.

Starting their third drive from their own 4 yard line, the Lobos, one would figure, would simply run out the clock, but a couple of long runs, one of which was a scramble by the quarterback, Williams, for nearly15 yards, encouraged Offensive Coordinator, Moore, to up the tempo. Using 7 plays, the Lobos flooded down the field, with a key play coming when Williams audibled out of the called play and found Tight End, Matt Nicholson streaking down the left hash. "I recognized their defensive coverage immediately and I knew if I checked, Matty would be open", Williams would say afterwards. Wallace would score on a 9-yard run right up the gut, as the Lobos took a surprising 17-0 lead into halftime.

"If we could have kept playing like that, we would have been golden. Heck, I wanted to give Johnny (Williams, Quarterback) player of the week honors at halftime", Senior Right Tackle, Darren Campbell said regarding the Lobos' domniance in the first half.

But just like against UTEP last week, the Lobos offense couldn't find the right gear in the second half.

Arizona took the ball to start the second half, collected a couple of first downs, but then was forced to punt. Two plays into the Lobos next drive, Williams would throw a deep out toward slot reciever, Cliff Hagen, only Arizona Freshman Cornerback, Sidney Parrish, was there to make a leaping grab to pick it off, giving Parrish his first collegiate interception.

Arizona, starting with great field position, would pick up three first downs, but then Senior Linebacker, Kelechi Smith would introduce himself to Wildcat quarterback, Stephen Jones, sacking him for a loss. A 4th and 14 attempt by the Wildcats would fail at the Lobos 27.

The Lobos next drive was their only 3 and out of the day, and it was prompted by a sack by Arizona's Eddie Morse. Arizona, once again with decent field position, would quickly pick up two first downs through the air, then connect on a 34-yard bomb to wideout, Brandon Seymour, on the second play from scrimmage in the 4th quarter, for the Wildcat's lone score of the day. Defensive Coordinator, Antoine Irvin, "That passing score was on me. I set our boys up out of position. Benny (Ben Mitchell, Strong Safety) tried to recover, but he couldn't make it in time. Give that 'Zona QB credit for recognizing our poor alignment and making a heck of a throw down field."

On the Lobos 6th possesion, up 17 - 7, there would be only one first down, followed by a punt. Unease grew on the Lobos bench, as it seemed Moore's offense would again try to give the game away. "The beauty about playing 'keep away ball' is that when it works, it's unstoppable. It's almost a mind-bender to the opposition, as they can't get off the field, and their offense can only watch from the bench. It also wears their athletes out. Fast. But when it doesn't work, you start putting pressure on your own defense, as well as your own offensive players", Moore stated.

Arizona, taking possesion at their own 18, would move quickly to midfield, where they'd convert a crucial 4th and 2 on a beautiful running play right up the middle. However, they'd face yet another 4th down; this time with 14 yards to make up. Jones would drop back to pass, but Sophomore Defensive End, Nathan Keller, would come up with his first tackle of the season, which also happened to be his first sack of the season, effectively ending Arizona's hopes of a comeback.

New Mexico, sensing the defeat in the Wildcat defense, would quickly move downfield, setting up Brown's final FG try, ending the game at 20-7.

Head Coach Simmons said after the game, "We improved a little on our ground game, and Williams made better decisions out there. He still needs to cut down on the bad passes. I joked with him, 'you don't have to throw a pick for every TD you throw'." On the season, Williams has 4 TD passes, along with 4 interceptions.

Up next for the Lobos is UNLV in Albuquerque.

"I'm excited for our fans that we defeated two of our rivals in back-to-back games. I'm excited for our university that we're 3-0. It's new territory for these players and this program desparately needed it", Simmons said before boarding the bus for home. The Lobos have not started a season 3-0 since prior to the birth of all their current players.

Arizona Wildcat, Sidney Parrish, picks off a pass from Lobos' QB, John Williams

New Mexico Defensive End, Nathan Keller, celebrates a sack on Arizona QB, Stephen Jones on a 4th and 14 play

The Akal Security's Players of the Game:

New Mexico Lobos at Arizona Wildcats
Sep 14, 20131ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
New Mexico Lobos (3-0)3140320
Arizona Wildcats (2-1)00077
Team Stats Comparison
UNMARIZ
Total Offense328215
Rushing Yards12162
Passing Yards207153
First Downs1711
Punt Return Yards07
Kick Return Yards3922
Total Yards367244
Turnovers10
3rd Down Conversion3/74/10
4th Down Conversion--1/3
2-Point Conversion----
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals5-2-21-0-0
Penalties3-150-0
Possession Time20:427:18
Scoring Summary
FIRST QUARTER SCORINGUNMARIZ
(UNM) 24-yard FG by Brown30
SECOND QUARTER SCORINGUNMARIZ
(UNM) Williams snags a pass out of the backfield for a 4-yard TD100
(UNM) Wallace takes a hand-off up the middle for a 9-yard score170
FOURTH QUARTER SCORINGUNMARIZ
(ARIZ) 33-yard bomb connects with Seymour for the score177
(UNM) 27-yard FG try is good for Brown207
New Mexico Lobos
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
John Williams15/2020711
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Keith Wallace16603.71
Billy Fields7365.1
John Williams471.7
Alex Williams3124.0
Adam Pruitt166.0
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Adam Pruitt48421.0
Keith Wallace3113.6
Darrell Fuller33010.0
Matt Nicholson35719.0
Alex Williams22512.51
BLOCKINGPANCAKESACK
Jeff Hendrix1
Tony Barrett1
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
Sean Doyle5
Kelechi Smith41
Danny Freeman31
Wayne Scott3
Brandon Britt2
Billy Sims2
Tyler Roberson2
Mike Burks2
Josh Williams1
Matt Nicholson1
Ben Mitchell1
Jason Perry 1
Brian Parsons1
Nathan Keller11
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
Josh Brown2/22/2827
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
Ed Hart29547.5
KICK RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
Pete Clark12222.0
Mike Burns11717.0
Arizona Wildcats
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Stephen Jones 10/251531
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Drew Browne10515.1
Stephen Jones7111.5
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
Michael Osborn33612.0
Drew Browne2105.0
Brandon Seymour25628.01
Wesley Stephens12929.0
Michael Hall11010.0
Bryant Brooks11212.0
BLOCKINGPANCAKESACK
Joe Cameron31
Cory Vincent21
Eddie Morse21
Ken Whitaker1
Akeem Guillory1
DEFENSETACKSACKINTTD
Jermaine Nelson8
Don Nichols6
Brandon Weber5
Sergio Johnson5
Jon Simmons41
Marcus Simmons3
Eddie Jones31
Ken Wilson3
Nick Wallace2
Joe Johnson2
Brandon Barrett1
Cameron Freund1
Sidney Parrish11
Willie Wright1
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
Brandon Gonzalez1/11
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
J.J. Conley313444.61
KICK RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
Broderick Greco12222.0
PUNT RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
Bryan Gordan177.0
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2020, 01:09 AM   #22
MVP

young22's Arena

Nice win. Wasn't expecting you guys to beat Arizona, but a really good job controlling the game, should be even better when Desi is back.

Sent from my SM-A102W using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by young22
Nice win. Wasn't expecting you guys to beat Arizona, but a really good job controlling the game, should be even better when Desi is back.

Sent from my SM-A102W using Operation Sports mobile app
Thanks. I wasn't expecting it either.

Honestly, my rushing attack hasn't been all that impressive, even with Desi in the lineup. It's been just enough to maintain the ball, which has helped keep the opposing teams off the board. I plan to adjust (again) the settings to try to create a more-challenging/realistic experience. Sure, I enjoy winning, but I want it to be more legit. If I crank up the ratings and still squeak out a victory, then that's just what it is, but for now, I can adjust and make it more challenging.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:12 PM   #24
Rookie

Albuquerque, NM

The New Mexico Lobos enter Week 4 with a 3-0 record, pulling off defeats of two rivals, including last week's win over Arizona. The Lobos have a bye this week before hosting UNLV in Week 5. The Lobos should be favored in that match-up, and if they pull out a win, they will have matched the number of victories from last season.

Despite the unblemished record thus far, the Lobos are actually near the back of the pack in terms of offensive produciton, though they are 7th in the Mountain West Conference in terms of total yards, 5th in passing yards and 8th in rushing yards. The 25.6 points per game ranks 6th in the conference, but not surpisingly, their number of first downs (57) ranks 4th in the league, evidence of their ability to maintain possession, keeping their opponent's offense off the field.

Defensively, there are few teams performing better, as the Lobos are 9th in the country in regards to yards given up, including being number one in the nation against the run. The 33 points surrendered through 3 games is good enough for the top 30 in the nation and second in the conference, behind Colorado State's 29 points, which is through 2 games. They also lead the conference in fumble recoveries (6), but are tied for second-to-last for interceptions (1).

Player Update:

Senior Defensive End, Danny Freeman, has utilized his off-season and downtime well, as he coordinated with a nutritionist to enhance his performance on the field. Through targeted meal prep and maintaining a balanced diet, Danny announced he had reduced his body fat by 7%. Team trainer, Rick Allen, noted an improvement in Freeman's performance and can tell he has increased his stamina while also decreasing his body's susceptibility to injury. "Any well-maintained and monitored meal plan can have extraordinary impact on an athlete, including reducing downtime due to muscle fatigue and/or injury. Danny's dedicated to improving, especially in his final season, and I'm happy to see that he took the initiative to explore ways to further his abilities", Allen said.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »