Home

Madden NFL 07 Review (360)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 07 Review (360) within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2006, 07:59 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Madden NFL 07 Review (360)

We have just posted our Madden NFL 07 review. Find out what Mark Fossen had to say about it.
"There's no getting around it: last year's Xbox 360 debut of the Madden franchise was at best utterly underwhelming. A limited feature set, sloppy gameplay, and skimpy presentation left a bitter taste in the mouths of fans looking for some next-gen football. For those interested in the college game, that taste got washed out this summer by EA's excellent NCAA Football 07. Would the pro game follow suit? Was last year's debacle an aberration, or the start of a new generation?"
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
Pro

KBomber's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Madden NFL 07 Review (360)

Somewhere, somehow, OS is going to have to expand their numeric scoring system to provide greater coordination and relevance to the written commentary or just scrap the numeric scores altogether. Given that the review itself speaks to this issue in detail, I think it's time that this was seriously considered.

Overall an interesting enough read, but I question if the culmination of the commentary truly reflects something worthy of the associated numeric score. I'll be interested to read the regular Xbox review as I've spent some time with that game this week to see how it fares, but as said I think the review concept needs to be revisited on this site

There, haven't made a comment about the game, but I'm sure the "fan boy posse" is coming for me to label these commets as "*****-ade"

Have fun, people..............

What I think I think:
• Y'know, I've never played less NBA 2K than I did with NBA 2K12
• Sports VG titles were REALLY disappointing in 2011-12
• Thank Heaven for ME3 and Arkham City -- saved my winter
Old 09-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBomber
Somewhere, somehow, OS is going to have to expand their numeric scoring system to provide greater coordination and relevance to the written commentary or just scrap the numeric scores altogether. Given that the review itself speaks to this issue in detail, I think it's time that this was seriously considered.

Overall an interesting enough read, but I question if the culmination of the commentary truly reflects something worthy of the associated numeric score. I'll be interested to read the regular Xbox review as I've spent some time with that game this week to see how it fares, but as said I think the review concept needs to be revisited on this site

There, haven't made a comment about the game, but I'm sure the "fan boy posse" is coming for me to label these commets as "*****-ade"

Have fun, people..............
Havent we been through this before. You know that the reason that we assign a score is because OS wants to appear on gamerankings.com. That provides OS with greater exposure.

We have said numerous times to focus solely on the review and not the score. If you choose to focus on the score that not our fault...its yours.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
MVP

jpup's Arena

OVR: 31

nice fair review. what could have been? that's what we are left saying.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
Pro

KBomber's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Havent we been through this before. You know that the reason that we assign a score is because OS wants to appear on gamerankings.com. That provides OS with greater exposure.

We have said numerous times to focus solely on the review and not the score. If you choose to focus on the score that not our fault...its yours.
Just as a note, it's a common lament, it's noted in the review so it's obvious that the good folks here understand it as an issue, so my suggestion is that rather than paying lip service to the issue, either fix it or scrap it.

Having it be largely irrelevant is actually YOUR problem, cowboy. I'm just making note of it. If the intent is to provide it so that it allows you inclusivity to Gamerankings.com, doesn't it also bear witness to the fact that it should be considered with relevance and not just be a "throw away".

If you don't want contentious opinion, shut down the forums. If you want to hear fair comment, take it on the chin when it's due and consider an approach of continuous improvement. That's my point

Cheers

Have fun......

What I think I think:
• Y'know, I've never played less NBA 2K than I did with NBA 2K12
• Sports VG titles were REALLY disappointing in 2011-12
• Thank Heaven for ME3 and Arkham City -- saved my winter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Terrible review. Tells nothing that you can't get from the forums or on other websites. Boring and long. Why do they keep letting this guy write reviews?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBomber
I'll quote myself from the other thread ...

Quote:
It's really a matter of weight.

For me, a game is mainly on-the-field. That's what the overwhelming majority of the score comes from. As you'll note in the review, I really like the on-the-field gameplay of Madden 07, and it's only real huge black eye is the fatigue issue.
I think it's a fair score, but I think the review should be detailed enough that you could assign your own score based on your own weighting system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bears4444x
Terrible review. Tells nothing that you can't get from the forums or on other websites. Boring and long. Why do they keep letting this guy write reviews?
Did I kick your dog or something? Piss in your cornflakes? Ban you in a previous life?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

It's a well written review IMO, the best I've seen (though thats not saying much considering whats out there!).

The one thing missing, and I think should have been mentioned prominently, is the cut-scenes replacing the walk-up to the line. There are so many strategic and tactical things happening during the walk-up to the line that it is inexcusable that there isn't at least an option to turn the cut-scenes off. This one design decision really shows the emphasis on game as opposed to simulation. There are many realistic aspects of Madden 07 for 360 but the end result is extremely arcadey IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »